1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

My Podcast Reviews TV Shows That Lasted 1 Season or Less

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by retrogunslinger, Nov 13, 2014.

1. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

Just thought the podcast listeners on here might enjoy Season Pass, my podcast all about TV pilots and shows cancelled before or after one season. We've covered a lot of fun ground so far—Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Harsh Realm, Heil Honey I'm Home, and Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation, to name a few—and are currently making our way through the 1990 version of The Flash.

Our show is spoiler-filled, so we've just started posting spoiler-free video reviews of the episodes we're covering.

If anyone wants to check it out, we're on iTunes and Stitcher.

Also: if you have any suggestions, we also appreciate them. We'll only be doing pilots while we go through The Flash, but afterward our schedule is open to anything from our giant list of prospects.

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I like to recommend Nothing Sacred and Cracker. Both shows hit too close to home for many people, and IIRC (??) neither lasted a full season, or had a second season. I think that in both series you would find much to discuss, they were not the typical network TV LCD garbage.

Nothing Sacred was about how the priests at a dying innercity Catholoic church had to find a balance between the Church mandates and the realities faced by them and their dwindling parioshners.

Cracker was about addictions. Ironically it starred Robert Pastorelli.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  3. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

Those are some quality suggestions! I've added them near the top of our list, which now totals 256 seasons and 56 pilots. I'd never heard of Nothing Sacred, but it sounds fantastic!

4. Chris Noyb

As you might imagine, Nothing Sacred ruffled quite a few feathers. It's a shame, but no surprise, that it didn't catch on.

I have a solid track record of liking TV shows that didn't last more than two seasons. Hammer, a spoof of TV cop shows, and The Lone Gunmen, a comedy spinoff from The X-Files, come to mind. Both managed to last more than one season.

5. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

Au contraire, The Lone Gunmen only lasted one season and is on our slate in the near future. Is the other show Sledge Hammer? I was a little disappointed that it lasted two seasons, just because it would've been fantastic to review. One of the best spoofs ever made, and sorely under seen.

6. Chris Noyb

Ooops, I double checked most of the shows I listed, but missed Sledge Hammer, and could've sworn TLG went a partial second season.

The good news is many shows didn't deserve even a partial season.

How do you count These Friends of Mine, before it became Ellen? I consider them two different series. The only episode of TFOM that I saw, the premier I think, totally sucked.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  7. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

That's a tough one. I never really watched Ellen. In this sort of case I would go by the IMDb entry, which lists it as part of the series.

8. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I'd recommend Quark the science fiction series with Richard Benjamin.
    Only made it to 8 episodes but it was great fun.

9. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

Ooooh, and it has Tim Thomerson of Dollman, Trancers, and of course The Flash 1990 fame. Another one goes toward the top of the list. Thanks!

10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

My friends and I were all over Quark when it came out.

11. Chris Noyb

A shortlived series starring Tony Shalhoub and Neil Patrick Harris, Stark Raving Mad. Too weird for the general public, or did NBC pull another idotic move?

I really enjoyed the episode about how some people injured by life handled Christmas.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  12. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

You guys are great at unearthing some swanky pieces of TV history. Only 19 more episodes of The Flash until I can review one of them!

13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Do you have Caprica on your list?

14. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

Yep. That's one I'm looking forward to, but I want to wait until we can get a really solid guest for at least the first or last episode.