1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

myrtle beach sc

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

well my wife talked me into going on vacation in a few weeks. we are going to myrtle beach sc. what kind of family stuff and or kid stuff is there to do? what do you recommend? I know they will spend a lot of time at the beach, but what else is there?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a place to stay yet?

If not, I recommend looking at vrbo.com and homeaway.com for places to rent. You can often get a very nice condo or home for basically the cost of a hotel.

3. ralphie250

yes we have a place to stay we are going may 7th through the 12th. we did it that week cause it was about a quarter of the price as it would have been a week later

• Like Like x 3
  4. ralphie250

guess nobody likes myrtle beach. lol

5. Borla

Never been there myself. But if I was planning a trip there, as you are, this is one of the first things I'd start digging through:

The Top 10 Things to Do in Myrtle Beach 2017 - Must See Attractions in Myrtle Beach, SC | TripAdvisor

On the left hand side of that page there are some specific types of attractions (i.e. parks, shopping, fun&games, etc.) that you can use to sort through what you might find interesting.

Or even google "activities in Myrtle Beach" or "things to do in Myrtle Beach in May" or whatever.

You'll find sites like this:

102 Fun Things To Do in Myrtle Beach! - MyrtleBeach.com

6. ralphie250

Looking at deep sea fishing for me one day. Never done it but love to fish. Just scared about getting sea sick

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

7. gruffman27

gruffman27 New Member

Sorry, i haven't replied. We used to go to Myrtle Beach a lot but haven't been in years. There used to be a ton of stuff to do for kids and adults. Traffic can be a real pain too. But you'll have a great time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  8. Borla

In most of the touristy beach areas there are two types of deep sea fishing.

One is where you pay per person to go on a very large boat with dozens of other people. The boat is slow and takes a long time (sometimes hours) to get to the fishing area, then you just drop lines in the water with bait on them and bounce them along the bottom to try to catch something. There are a handful of workers running around trying to help with bait and gear. You might catch a fish, or a few fish. I personally found it pretty disappointing and a waste of time/money.

The second way is where you hire a boat/guide yourself, or with a small group (2-6 people?) and go on a 25-35' boat to REALLY fish. If the group is bigger than 2-3 people there is usually a mate to help, so you spend much more of your time fishing, you catch far more fish, and it's way more exciting. The problem with this route is that it is usually pretty pricey, sometimes as much as $500-800 (once you tip the capt/mate) for 4-6 hours.

There may be more options near Myrtle Beach, but those are the two primary ones I've experienced.

As far as getting sea sick, just take some non-drowsy (that part is important!) dramamine an hour or so before you get on the boat, and again after a couple hours on the boat. Make sure you have something to eat beforehand, but don't eat a lot. Make sure you don't drink too much (if any) alcohol the night before and/or before getting on the boat. Combine those things and you'll almost surely be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I drove through Myrtle Beach a few years ago. Just passed on through. My companion said it reminded her of "Las Vegas with a beach..." which was not meant as a compliment.:(

10. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

The wife's family used to own a house on the beach there. Didn't do much usually but look for shells and sit at the pool. We did take a dolphin tour, left out of Murrell's Inlet and went on a fishing boat. Had fun, the kid threw up the whole time we were fishing. Take some dramamine...

• Like Like x 1
  11. ralphie250

can you just buy that stuff over the counter?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Yes, any drug store should have it

• Like Like x 1
  13. ralphie250

specific kind? or is it all pretty much the same?

14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I think Dramamine is the brand-name.

15. I haven't been since I was a kid. The water is all I really remember....

16. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted