1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2012/2013 season discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Season starts tonight. :cool:

I'd be a bit more excited if D. Rose was suiting up, but hopefully the Bulls can hang around until he's healthy. And maybe not playing a full season will actually help him be fresh come playoff time. I'm just not convinced his body can hold up to the punishment it takes. We'll see though.

Any big NBA fans here?

I'm doing an NBA Fantasy League for the first time this year. It's kind of an interesting take on FB though. Your team has to be built with a salary cap in place that equals the real NBA salary cap. You can only do 40 roster changes throughout the entire season. It's kind of an interesting concept, so I'm curious as to how it will go.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Agree about Rose. Really tough injury to come back from in less than a year. Just ask Robbie Hummel.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

I can't say the Lakers' start is upsetting me. Somehow I think they'll be just fine by April/May. I hope somebody can knock them off though. Not sure OKC can w/o Harden.

4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I was delighted to see the Lakers lose to the Blazers last night.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Borla

Maybe I'm a nerd like this, but if anyone is interested here is a listing of the teams that were picked in the fantasy draft I mentioned in the OP. Because the draft was more work than we anticipated, play won't start until next Monday. Basically, we didn't want to force anyone to autopick because of the league format, so we took turns in a thread on another forum making picks (12 hour time limit) and it took about a week.

Here are the teams:

My team:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won the "Moneybags" award in the league for cutting it the closest to the $65,000,000 salary cap without going over. :p

6. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

I've been trying to get interested in the NBA for the past few years but for whatever reason I just can't seem to keep from getting bored. I am curious about how the Lakers "super team" is going to come together.

7. Borla

8. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

Wow! How can you rate a coach on 5 games? It takes longer than that for a team with only 1 superstar to figure things out. You have a starting 5 on that team in which 3 of the 5 have been the #1 guy on their respective teams. That is a lot of ego, shots, and attention to spread around.

9. Borla

Not to mention he's only had the starting five all available at the same time for one game.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

Exactly. Talk about unreasonable expectations. Do you think Phil Jackson would have got the boot as quickly?

11. Borla

No. But I also wouldn't let Mike Brown coach in the same gym with PJ.

12. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

Looks like PJ is going back to the Lakers. There goes the Western Conference

13. Borla

I've always loved Phil Jackson. One of the best of all time. But I'm thinking this might be equal to Jordan's second set of "un-retiring" seasons, not the ones where he won 3 more titles, but the ones with the Wizards.

Phil Jackson reunion with Lakers could lack perfect Hollywood ending - Yahoo! Sports

I think Phil will be good. He'll get the team to perform. But I don't know that he'll get them to win another title. We'll see, I agree he gives them one of the better shots. But if I were a Lakers fan (I'm not, I can't stand Kobe), I think I'd wish for Shaw or McMillan. The names wouldn't make the same splash, but I think they'd be better over the course of the next 2-3 years. I think PJ would want a relaxed schedule (not running all the practices, not making all the road trips), and I think that might cause some inconsistency and distraction.

14. Borla

15. Borla

My fantasy league finally starts tonight. :cool:

16. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

Good luck Borla.

I think D'Antonio will be a good fit for the Lakers. Plus he knows how best to use Nash which can only help them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Borla

I am officially watching an NBA for pure fantasy value for the first time ever.

Matchups last Mon-Sun. Lulz. My match-up is completely down to whether Joakim Noah or Jeremy Lin (the only player either of us have left this week) shoots better at free throws in the second half of their games. Neither of us are going to realistically pass each other in any other catagory. Aside from FT% we are tied.

Currently I am at .81954887.
    He is currently at .81967213.

Hopefully Noah makes a FT or two without missing one. Or Lin misses at least one.

I guess of all the things to be a nerd about, sports are a little less nerdy than most. :p

18. Borla

Crap. I took a flyer on Ricky Rubio hoping he'll be strong when he returns. Now Jason Kidd is out too. Might need to tweak something if he's going to be out too long.

And the Bulls really need to pick up the pace if they want to be set up for a playoff run when D-Rose comes back.

19. The Bulls need to win games they lead by 27. geez

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lanquishing in Piston Land, I am having a hard time even faking interest. I've turned down free tickets twice already this season.