1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2015-2016 Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by snowy, Aug 14, 2015.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

The NBA schedule for the 2015-2016 season was announced earlier this week.

Free agency was hectic this last summer. My Portland Trail Blazers came out of it with a new, young lineup with only a handful of key players returning, such as Damian Lillard, Meyers Leonard, C.J. McCollum, and Chris Kaman. I'm interested to see how everything else shakes out. I will say that our free agency ended with this trending hashtag on Twitter: #InNeilWeTrust, a reference to our GM, Neil Olshey. I was pretty bummed that we did not even try to retain some of my favorite players, like Wes Matthews and Robin Lopez. We open the preseason on Oct. 5th against Sacramento, and regular season play begins Oct. 28 against the New Orleans Pelicans.

How did your team come out of the summer? Are you looking ahead to the season?

2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I am very curious how this version of the Blazers will end up assuming they can avoid the injury bug.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I don't really follow the NBA. IIRC per the local sports reports, the Rockets didn't make any earth-shaking moves during the off-season & free agency. Maybe they did; FIIK.

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Opening night.

Bulls are starting the game well. :cool:

5. Meanwhile, the Pistons are 2-0 for the first time since 2008; 2 games over .500 for the first time since 2009. Teasers.

6. Chris Noyb

I didn't see a thread for the new NBA season, so I started one.

---------------------------

This morning the Houston Rockets fired coach Kevin McHale after 4-7 start. Mac took the Rockets to the playoffs two seasons in a row. Either the Rockets pushed the Panic Button, or there is more to this story than meets the eye.

7. snowy

Gotta say, I'm a little proud of myself for figuring out how to merge two threads considering this one was hiding under lots of other threads :)

I'll be interested to see what unfolds with Kevin McHale.

As for the Blazers: well, it's a rebuilding year.

8. What has gotten into Andre Drummond? Averaging 19+ points and 18.9 boards (second in the league averages 12.9). He already has three 20/20 games this season and the Pistons are over .500 despite a 4 game losing skid on the West Coast (sorry Portland, you were the only west team to NOT beat them).

Detroit celebrated getting back home by knocking off LeBron & Co in comeback style. With Drummond and Reggie Jackson both playing well, the Pistons a finally a bit fun to watch again! (we need it... Tigers... Lions... good grief!)

9. Chris Noyb

Damn, I couldn't find a thread I posted in. Duh, Chris.

What the hell are the Rockets "masterminds" thinking? Is Les Alexander turning into Drayton McClane, the former Astros owner who fired Phil Garner, the only Astros manager to get them to the World Series? Is J.B. Bickerstaff ready to be coach?

10. snowy

Some friends of mine were courtside last night at the Blazers-Bulls game. I'm so, so jealous even though we lost. Pau Gasol asked my friend to touch the ball for him before he inbounded it. We were soclose to getting the company tickets for the game, which are on the other end of the court, also courtside. There was one point where it looked like Gasol stumbled into the front row, right where we would have been sitting.

*sob*

Maybe next year.

11. Chris Noyb

Guy V. Lewis, who coached the UH Cougars team for 30 years, died yesterday. RIP.

I don't follow college hoops, but do know that opinions on Coach Lewis were decidedly split. His supporters say he was a great coach who knew to let the players play. His detractors say he couldn't coach and would've/should've won at least two NCAA championships if he had known how to organize & utilize the talented players, namely during the Phi Slamma Jamma era '82-'84.

12. Borla

Kobe just announced that he is retiring at the end of this season.

13. Don't let the door hit ya, KB!

For all of his great accomplishments, I commend him. But his ego has been more important than winning for many years, going back to his Shaq/Phil Jackson days. His presence is holding the Lakers back from a desperately needed rebuild.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Borla

I think Byron Scott is hindering the rebuilding process as well.

This article, especially the latter portion, explains why: Byron Scott, is it time to bench Kobe Bryant? “That’s not an option.” | ProBasketballTalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Borla

Steph Curry is insane. I don't remember anyone since Jordan who seemed to just be toying with his opponents when scoring. Obviously different methods, but same effect. Incredible to watch.