1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Gaiman's American Gods

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cynthetiq, May 6, 2017.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

[​IMG]

The first episode finally aired.

What did you think of the series so far?

Just so you know in this thread there may be

[​IMG]

For some reason, this show reminds me of the Millenium episode, "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me"

[​IMG]

and parts of Memnoch the devil.

[​IMG]

I found it a bit confusing but then again the beginning of the book is confusing. One of the reasons I like it is because in the 10th-anniversary edition Gaiman explains that why he wrote Amercian Gods during his visit to Iceland. The place names and gods were all around you as you traveled the country. It was one of the first things I noted on my first visit in 2000. (I'm looking forward to reading Norse Mythology)

But so far in the show with the exception of Bilquis and her demand on the man she picked up at the bar to worship her, it's hard to see "gods" among us.

Back when I saw Neil Gaiman (on his birthday no less and we sang happy birthday to you to him!) speak in Brooklyn a couple of years ago at Neil Gaiman in Conversation with Junot Díaz, he said he was going to be working on this as exec producer. He had specifically signed up stating that he had creative control to keep character races intact. Casting Shadow Moon was excellent. Mr. Wednesday was also cast well I thought.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the episodes unfold.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm enjoying it.
    And I've read the book (and the following)

They're going for the full flavor...not holding back.
    I've always been into mythology since I was a kid...and studied a bit of mysticism...so I love the background, the symbolism
    ...and the raw emotion. Very elemental.

For some reason I liked the scene at the grave-site when she's telling him the real deal.
    No illusions. Brutal truth. No magic.

It looks like they're going to delve really into what makes humans human.
    Which is what you're really getting at when you discuss the gods.

They are our inner essence.
    They are us, we are them.
    For better or worse.

*** and the actors they got to play them are awesome...these have NO fear into diving in that type of raw emotion, character and symbolism. (and the talent to bring it out)
    Watching it...is like eating a very rich dark chocolate...it's candy but the flavor is almost overwhelming...and leaves a seriously interesting aftertaste.

• Like Like x 2
  3. omega

omega Very Tilted

When I first heard Peter Stormare was cast for Czernobog, I could see him in the role. Glad to see he fills it.

4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Well acted, smartly written, just about every scene worthy of a painting, tone and mood that draws you in, damn how can you go wrong.
    I really think this is the show that will be talked about for a long time to come.
    The second episode just builds right onto the first.

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Point me to a free way of viewing it, and I'll let you know what I think :p.

I just finished the book. Not my thing, but it was a good read, should (hopefully) translate well to screen.

6. redravin

Not free but for $8.99 a month you can add Starz to Amazon Prime.
    That's what I did.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cynthetiq

Or....

8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Don't steal content.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

I was really excited when I heard they were making this and the first episode didn't disappoint.
    I agree the actor choices are fantastic so far.
    I didn't read this story off a page, I listened to it as an audio book from itunes when i was driving long distance for a living. I mention the itunes source because whoever did the casting must have listened to that.
    I'm sure the voices of Laura & Wednesday are extremely similar.

I'm trying to use my partner as a guide to know if the tv series makes sense by itself. I've heard the book twice but she's never read it and she's only watched the first episode because I put it on. She's definitely interested in at least one more episode

• Like Like x 1
  10. rogue49

The 2nd is better than the first.
    More gods (and great character acting)
    Mr. Nancy and Czernobog :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. wye

wye Getting Tilted

I feel obliged to offer a dissenting opinion here. I was eagerly anticipating this show given my enjoyment of The Almighty Johnsons, a tv series about Norse deities who are reincarnated among Scandinavian immigrants to New Zealand (and who later meet avatars of Maori deities among indigenous Kiwis). I heard on a public radio station before the premiere that the show's writers supposedly did a lot of research on the mythologies of the characters and mandated authentic casting, both to avoid perpetuating ethnic stereotypes through cultural ignorance. However, I've seen little evidence of that so far and a whole lot of evidence to the contrary.

The first two episodes have featured a human avatar of the well-known Norse god Odin, a spider/human avatar of the only well-known traditional African god Anansi, and a few human avatars of pre-Christian Slavic gods. It attempts to also portray a demonic and apparently East African goddess, but she's not identified as any actual deity or demon, African or otherwise. She's named for the biblical Queen of Sheba, which seems incredibly lazy to me, as if Neil Gaiman didn't care to research traditional East African religions given that the Bible provided him with an ostensibly Ethiopian name he liked, never mind that it's not the name of a deity. Her succubus-style role in the show is even more fanciful, seducing and then consuming her lovers through her vagina, which seems like an exoticist fantasy of savage "Darkest Africa" because it doesn't appear to be based on any traditional African belief.

Then there's the Irish god, a coin trick-performing bar brawler who calls himself a leprechaun. Deadline Hollywood reports that this character will be "down on his luck" due to having "lost his charm". Seriously? Rather than draw from the extensive and well-studied cycles of Irish mythology, Gaiman went with an American breakfast cereal caricature and the derogatory drunken Irishman trope?

And then there are the language issues that come from casting actors of inappropriate nationality. Chernobog, played by a Swedish actor, badly mangles the name Zorja Vechernjaja (as does Odin, but that's forgivable), and those two Slavic characters speak with odd dialects that don't sound particularly Slavic. On the slave ship, a young man speaks Igbo, a Nigerian language, to invoke the Ghanaian god Anansi. To be more accurate, an Akan actor could have been cast if the production wished to maintain the Akan name Anansi for the god.

I don't yet understand the antagonists or the conflict they have with the protagonists. If I watch more of this series, perhaps I'll make another post commenting on that.

12. rogue49

They're new gods growing in America trying supplant the remaining old gods that aspects/portions of got moved over to America and are fading.
    Yet the old gods have decided to fight back... (or at least Odin has for now...there is "the quest"...)

IMHO, even though I'm a science buff, I ignore the sounds in space in the sci-fi movies I enjoy.
    And same here...while details may not be fully accurate (and with religion/mythology what is???)
    I enjoy the portrayal and symbolism.

Just like I enjoy my cereal without paying attention to the stats on the box.

There are times to be precise and there are times to just enjoy the ride. (boy, that's a bumper-sticker... ;))

• Like Like x 1
  13. redravin

While I'm not defending Gaiman or the writers, I suspect they are well aware of some of the inaccuracies (as compared to many TV writers who are ignorant or just don't give a fuck) but I think there is some intent to show that America is a mixed bag and that many of the old gods have lost their edge so things aren't as well put together as they used to be.
    I suspect you will be seeing some of that explained as the show goes on.
    And Mad Sweeney ain't no average fucking leprechaun. He was a poet, a warrior and totally insane.
    Buile Shuibhne - Wikipedia
    The idea that he came from Ireland with the runestone to protect it (and then lost the damned thing) is kind of in keeping with the character from history.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wye

wye Getting Tilted

That doesn't make much sense to me. Are the old gods fading because they're losing believers? Odin has never had an appreciable number of believers in the United States and hasn't had one in Europe for a thousand years, but due to the popularity of Neopaganism, the number has surely increased in recent times. Furthermore, if the antagonists are new gods that have replaced pagan gods, why aren't they Christian and Muslim gods?

What leads you to suspect that?

The thing is, the leprechaun character in the first episode isn't presented as medieval warrior-king or anything other than merely a modern Irish stereotype. Is the runestone thing from the novel? How is that in keeping with the legend of Buile Shuibhne?

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  15. cynthetiq

@wye just curious if you have read the book at all.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Forgive me, but Gaiman clearly wrote American Gods as light, relatively speaking, entertainment.

17. wye

wye Getting Tilted

I haven't read the book, and I'm asking for details of its plot even if it might spoil the show.

That surprises me, as the show appears to take itself very seriously. I would be more forgiving of it if it didn't.

18. cynthetiq

@skogafoss is a bit confused as I was when reading the book. The beginning of the book seems like a mess, almost like this does.

I think that like any thriller story all the clues and pieces come together in the 3rd act. Right now it's all setup and yet it doesn't seem like a setup because it's not. It's more like setting the stage for the setup.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rogue49

@wye - two points...
    1. I'd watch the show (as with the book) - many of your questions will be revealed as it moves on...
      Right now you're like our protagonist...on a weird ride and you don't know where it's going yet.
      Frankly, I'm not going to spoil it for others...or you. Just enjoy.

2. Remember there are many different aspects and stories to the gods and mythology, some "official" and well known and told often
      Even more so, those that are told or thought of in a multitude of varieties...each god is to each person at that time and may even change. It's fluid.
      So the gods' background, character and action fluxes...whether "official" and formal or not. It changes.
      You don't know what bag of tricks you'll get...and that's part of the story.
      Again, just enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. cynthetiq

I don't sense that it does. We had 2 episodes and really I don't feel it takes anything so seriously since there are many convoluted things slowly revealing themselves.

He did it well.

I have likes most of the appearances he made in prison break and blacklist.