1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

New York Theater for a child

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by lionrock, Aug 2, 2011.

1. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

I will be visiting NYC (That is the airport code for New York City) later this month with my son who is six. His grandmother gave me money for me to take him to see a show, but I don't know much about Broadway and such. I looked up some stuff online and "The Addams Family" and "Blue Man Group" seem like the sort of thing that he and I might be interested in. "Spiderman" seems a little too.....something.....I can't quite put my finger on it...for me to enjoy. Does anyone know any cool stuff to take a kid to in NYC (again that is code for New York City) that won't cost me a fortune?

2. jewels

jewels New Member

I'm not up on the current shows, but aren't Lion King, Mama Mia and other classic musicals still playing? He may be young and not always follow the story, but music and dance productions are what it's all about anyway. Just think about what seems fun to you and he'll likely enjoy it.

Touristy things should be fun for him. Statue Of Liberty, Empire State Building, MOMA, Museum of Natural History, the NY Public Library, for starters. It's hard to say on certain things but some kids (I did!) enjoy Greenwich Village, the Upper East Side, the Port Authority ...

You might be best off wearing some comfy shoes and winging it. It's amazing how far you can walk when you're having fun.

3. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

What is at the Port Authority? We watched a video of the Lion King, and he flat out was not interested. The Museum of Natural History looks like a winner. There is also a Marvel tour which shows what buildings are the basis for Marvel comics buildings.

4. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

okay... don't go telling people that I love kids and all that....

But here's a resource for NYC for kids.

[site=timeoutnewyorkkids.com]Time Out New York - Kids[/site]
    It's a really good magazine that parents coming to NYC have used as a resource for many years.

[site=gazillionbubbleshow.com]Gazillion Bubbles Show[/site]
    It is a childhood favorite. I don't know any age appropriate kid that went to this show and did not have a good time. The Gazillion Bubble Show wil amaze your whole family with mind blowing bubble magic. Step into an interactive bubble world and be dazzled by spellbinding lasers, spectacular lightning effects and jaw-dropping masterpieces of bubble artistry. It will make you smile, laugh and feel like a kid all over again!

The Gazillion Bubble Show is an unbubblievable extravaganza for everyone, unlike anything you have ever seen before. Adults and children of all ages are sure to be enchanted. You will have to experience it to believe it!

The Gazillion Bubble Show has been featured on “The Oprah Winferey Show”, “The David Letterman Show”, “Live withRegis and Kelly” the Ellen Degeneres Show” and “Fox & Friends.”

[site=imaginoceanthemusical.com]Imaginocean[/site]
    Tony Award-nominee John Tartaglia has certainly spread his creative wings. He starred in the acclaimed musical Avenue Q, appeared on Broadway in Shrek: the Musical and in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, and created and starred in The Playhouse Disney series Johnny and the Sprites. Now, as if creative wings weren’t enough, he has grown some creative gills as well—with the production of John Tartaglia’s Imaginocean.

For adults, go see [site=avenueq.com]Avenue Q[/site] if you can. It's like Sesame Street but for adults :)

5. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

Thanks Cynth. I did see that there is a 10 in 1 sideshow at Coney Island. I want to make sure he is exposed to high art as well.

6. cynthetiq

The Coney Island area is sketchy at night. Go there only during the day time. I don't think that it's unsafe, it just gets weird feeling since it's desolate and far from every thing else. There's also the aquarium there too. I haven't seen the sideshow in years, so I can't comment on how it is these days.

7. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Blue Man Group is an excellent choice for a 6 year old boy. My son is a huge huge fan of BMG.

8. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

I am extremely sketchy about crowds and visiting NYC anyway, so I can't see having a child out late at night. I also saw that the Mets were playing while I am there. I'm not huge in the whole "Father Son American Mythology of Baseball" bullshit, but it may be fun to see a real game.

9. cynthetiq

Since everyone thinks that the Mets suck, it is really cheap to get tickets and go to the game. It is also so freakin' easy because you take the 7 train from Midtown Manhattan to Flushing. Step off the train and walk into the Stadium. It's the same for the USOpen. One of my favorite museums is there in the [site=queensmuseum.org]Queens Museum of Art[/site] is the NYC Panorama which is the entire New York City in miniature...

[​IMG]