1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Next-Gen Gaming: PS4 & Xbox One

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Baraka_Guru, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This thread is your repository for the next generation of console gaming.

I'm quite excited about the next generation. Some may complain that the hardware upgrade isn't as big a leap as previous generational leaps, but the PS4 is 10x more powerful than the PS3, which, honestly, still continues to amaze. Also, there are other differences of note, including it being more open to developers (esp. indies). This will make for a bigger emphasis on game development, more competition, and more variety.

Also very important: The lower price points of the consoles at release compared to the current generation lowers the barriers to entry, which I think will accelerate the development of mind-blowing games. (The PS3 originally sold for $499 in 2006, but the PS4 will sell for $399—now account for inflation: $499 in 2006 is worth $580 in today's dollars, meaning the spread between the two releases is $180, or ~30%.)

In the E3 2013 thread, I expressed interest in the upcoming sequel to Mirror's Edge and the reboot of Star Wars: Battlefront.

Child of Light just now popped up on my radar. I'll take it as an indication that turn-based RPGs are surviving the transition to next-gen gaming!

Want!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsB1ydR8NFk

What are you looking forward to?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Ugh, I don't want to spend money on a new console any time soon, but I probably will within the next year. I'm pretty happy with my Xbox 360, to be honest. There's not really anything I'm excited about with the new consoles. I'm waiting for something to pique my interest.

3. omega

omega Very Tilted

I'll get the xbone first, when I have the money for it. Now that it has a bluray player I have less need for a playstation. Plus I have found the features offered by microsoft to be more seamless.

4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My "next generation" system is my new PS3. Amazing upgrade from both the Wii and Ps2 that I no longer have, and damn sharp graphic capabilities. I recently bought Fallout 3 which looks promising whenever I actually touch that gaming system again; it has been gathering dust for the most part which is what I expected with my schedule and lack of gaming interest in the first place. Still nice knowing I have a current system finally that gives me the option of renting/buying the new or recent games.
    On the PS4 subject, I never touch first gen cutting edge releases. Give it 4 or 5 years to work out the kinks and do the upgrades (and get my money's worth out of the PS3) and I might consider one then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. omega

omega Very Tilted

I loved fallout three and fallout new Vegas. Both games are awesome.they are a little different in their approach, and fanboys pick their favorite, but I loved them both for different reasons.

6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

No Wii U? I like my Wii U. Mario Kart 8 is awesome, and E3 makes me think the next year is going to be awesome for Nintendo fans.

I keep eyeing a PS4. I almost bought one for Watch_Dogs but I decided to wait to see what the reviews were like, and I'm glad I did -- it seems the game isn't living up to the hype.

I did the launch thing with the Wii U, and the game library is really only coming into it's own now. I'm pretty positive that I'm going to end up owning a PS4 sooner or later, but I don't see the point until they can give me some compelling titles to buy.

Mirror's Edge looks cool. What I'd really like to see is a sequel to Beyond Good and Evil. I'm losing hope on that possibility at this point though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. omega

omega Very Tilted

I have been enjoying my xbone overall. Forza 5 and Titanfall are both beautiful. The one thing that pisses me off is that the 360 made it very easy to pull music and movies off my pc to stream (I have a really good stereo setup). Xbone screws you over, has no option to pull music off your own pc. That aspect is complete shit. Now watching youtube videos is so much better. It will stream high quality fullscreen at speed, whereas my 360 would bog down even not fullscreen.