1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Nothing wrong with a Good Nap.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Charlatan, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I posted a status update that, "Afternoon naps need to be a thing." and it was suggested that this could/should be thread.

I am a big fan of naps. When I am on vacation and nearly every weekend, I take afternoon naps. I am a master of the 20 minute nap. I will lie down for a nap, usually around 2pm or so, and miraculously, with no alarm, will wake up 20-25 minutes later quite refreshed.

It is very rare that I will over sleep. When I do, the results can be disastrous. Instead of refreshing me, I am lethargic and woollen-headed for the rest of the day.

My current office is relatively progressive on a lot of things, but they don't have a nap room. I have been thinking of advocating for one, as cure to the 2-3pm lull.

What is your take on the nap? Do you like to nap? Should all places of work make time and place for employees to take a power nap?

I know there is some science behind this, perhaps some of you learned types can break out the data...

Nappers of the World Unite! You have nothing to lose but your doziness!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Like you, I prefer a power nap. I like to sleep for 5 to 15 minutes, no more. It seems to reset something. Sometimes, though, I really do need that 2 hour nap-a-thon.

I could nap during my prep. That would work well, I think. I'm thinking about instituting a 4pm power nap on Fridays to kick off the weekend.

3. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I was just reading a breakdown of the differing physiological effects of naps of different durations, and I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. Bicycling magazine, perhaps? From what I remember, based on the science behind sleep cycles, 20 minute power naps and 90 minute naps leave nappers feeling the least groggy—with the former you don't enter the deeper stages of sleep that leave you feeling groggy if they get interrupted, and with the latter you complete the full cycle of each stage of sleep, which also leaves you feeling more refreshed when waking than not.

Anyway... naps rule. I love napping in the middle of the afternoon, with the windows open and sunlight streaming in.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I love naps. So much. 20 minutes is the perfect length for me, any more than that and it turns into a 2 hour napfest. Not that there's anything wrong with that, because a 2 hour nap is amazing, but if I have stuff to do it can throw a wrench in my day.

I'm with DamnitAll - the sunny lazy day window open nap is the best, tied with midday thunderstorm nap.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Charlatan

I like that idea. If I was a teacher that ended my day as early as 4-4:30, I would definitely do the nap thing -- especially on a Friday. My problem is most of my friends are teachers and, as such, are waiting for me to catch up with them on Friday afternoon. No time for a nap.
    --- merged: Sep 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM ---
    I am more a fan of thunderstorm sex than thunderstorm naps. For me, a nap is less about ambience and more about refuelling.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  6. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

[​IMG]

Napping is a way of life with me. I can take long and short naps, and I wake up just fine with no grogginess or logy-ness.
    I'm not sure if it's because I usually only sleep around 4-5 hrs at "night" or not.

I can't believe I wasted so much of my childhood trying to get out of napping.

• Like Like x 4
  7. GeneticShift

Why not both?
    Sex then nap.

Then sex again.

• Like Like x 7
  8. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

This.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GeneticShift

Just don't complain when I never take you anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I love naps and sleeping in general. I wish I were doing more of both.

11. Nope, don't nap. Actively avoid them as I have enough trouble falling asleep as it is. But yeah, I do like them but when I do I'm awake for hours at night.

12. Charlatan

I like the cut of your jib.

(that might have been a euphemism)

• Like Like x 5
  13. Naps are one of my most favorite things to do.

Though I've had some naps that cross over into 'unplanned sleep cycles'... my record is 7 hours.

14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Yeah, I'm a fan of sleeping and naps, but I don't nap enough.

After reading all the benefits of napping, it's certainly something I want to integrate into my daily routine. I used to work in an office downtown, so napping was only a weekend option. My sleep habits have rarely been great, so I was a fan of the "epic nap" maybe once a weekend: up to three hours in the afternoon—whenever my body woke up. I know I'm able to do this because I'm sleep deprived (I believe many of us are).

I've wanted to go to a daily nap not long after moving to working at home. I've always felt guilty about it though. I still associate napping with laziness, which is a dumb Canadian/American belief. I'm amazed by the cultures that have napping so ingrained that it's expected. Apparently, in Vietnam, they consider napping at midday practically a necessity because it's so hot.

In my case, I'd mostly be concerned about good sleep hygiene: napping for benefit in a way that doesn't interfere with regular sleep patterns. [I've also recently cut down my caffeine intake (to under 200 mg/day) and limited it to the morning.]

I have a puppy now, which has been a mixed blessing in terms of sleep. No, it's nothing like that. My SO deals with him first thing in the morning, and he sleeps through the night. However, I've had to scale back my wake-up time from 8 a.m. (luxurious, I know) to 7 a.m. What I did, actually, was set my wake-up time to 7 a.m. every day, even weekends. I've been meaning to do this: Wake up at the same time every morning, and go to bed at the same time. I've tried going to bed by 11 p.m., instead of my usual 12 or 1, but I have bad habits involving electronics. (I'm working on it.)

That said, my ideal pattern would be this: arise at 7 a.m., nap at 2 p.m. for 20 to 30 minutes (I'd have to crate the dog and hope he sleeps too; it'll be easier when he's an adult), to bed by 11 p.m. If I could nail that daily, I imagine my sleep deprivation would be practically non-existent. My alertness and concentration would improve, as well as my mood. I totally want to do this.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  15. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

This is what I do - my alarm is set for 5am, 7 days a week. Dogs actually take lots of naps. If I were to set my schedule by my dogs, it's get up at 5am, eat, play, walk. Take a quick 10-15 min breather, play some more. About 10am they are out for count till about 12 or so. Get up, play, walk, another nap from about 2-5pm. Then up for rest of the evening, last walk about 8:30pm and then we crash at 9:30.

So 2 naps a day? I could live with that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GeneticShift

I could go for a nap right now.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Get thee to a nappery!

• Like Like x 2
  18. kramus

kramus what I might see

I have intermittent, broken sleep at night. Always have - the rare times I sleep right through are just that, rare. Sometimes that dozy feeling can't be shaken in late afternoon, and a 15 minute nap on the couch makes everything right with the world. Or if there is a carb loaded meal, then within the hour a nap is wanted. I find if I'm distance driving and need to pull over, 10 or 15 minutes with the seat reclined makes a world of difference.
    My dear Papa when he was in the work force used to come home for lunch everyday, and lie down for 20 minutes. I think it allowed him sanity and life because his executive job was a real beast. I have a sister who proudly follows in his footsteps, so much so that her license plate reads something like PWRNPPR :)

now for the obligatory nap pic

nap time.jpg

19. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

That's a hardcore napper^.
    Makes George Costanza's under-desk napping at Yankee's HQ's seem as risky as a sloth tearing down your bedroom door and forcing you into a pair of used Speedos.

/try to get that out of your mind

20. Indigo Kid

Indigo Kid Getting Tilted

Ackkkkk! Freeman, I was just thinking about George Costanza doing this and wow I have the perfect desk in my office for just that!
    When I see soldiers in foxholes doing is, it takes on a whole other meaning and level of awareness. God bless our soldiers!!!!