1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Obama's single shining accomplishment....

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Eddie, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Eddie Getting Tilted

2. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

He's done quite a bit, actually. Aside from the first healthcare and financial reform in far too long, he funded the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, he's been really great about appointing qualified gay officials, the stimulus, while too small, has been successful by every objective economic metric, under him more private sector jobs have been created than under 8 years of Bush, he signed START, reversed the ban on media coverage of the return of fallen soldiers, issued an executive order to repeal restrictions on federal funding for stem cell research, established the Credit Card Bill of Rights, he cut taxes for small businesses, increased funding for the Violence Against Women Act, expanded Pell Grants... etc., etc., etc.

That having been said, we're still engaged in imperial wars in countries that most people don't even know about, we still torture and kidnap, we are still fighting the insane war on drugs, we still have the stupid Bush tax cuts for the rich, the healthcare and financial reform bills have been weak to the point of almost being useless, and generally the man doesn't seem to have the ability to really stand up for what he believes in. Worst of all, he wasted all the political capital he had coming out of the election with half-measures and inaction during a time when he could have ended the wars, investigated war crimes of the previous administration, prosecuted people on Wall Street, jammed through the public option, and a number of other things.

• Like Like x 2
  3. thetemplarswife

thetemplarswife Vertical

I for one did not vote for Obama and would not vote for him if given a second opportunity. He lost what little respect I had for him when, shortly after being elected, he gave his daughters incorrect information about the history of the United States! When walking through the white house with his daughters they came across a desk in Lincoln's bedroom that was used by Abraham Lincoln. He preceeded to tell his daughters that was the famous desk where Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg Address when in fact it was not. He actually signed the Emancipation Proclamation at the desk. There is a copy of the Gettysburg Address sitting on the desk but it was written elsewhere. THe least he could do is know the history...especially if he claims to have studied Lincoln.

4. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

President Obama has ordered the targeted assassination of an American citizen, he has increased the war in Afghanistan, he supports domestic spying, and has increased the national security state just as Bush would have... and you're not voting for him because he misspoke about where Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg Address?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  5. thetemplarswife

thetemplarswife Vertical

No. That wasnt what I was saying at all. There are a lot of reasons that prevented me from voting for him. I simply stated that, once he was elected, his ignorance on the history of our nation was shocking. His ignorance of our history happened AFTER he was elected so therefore couldnt have been a factor in my not voting for him the first time.

6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Is it an ignorance of American political history? Or is it merely an ignorance of historical office furniture?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'm not sure I'd equate a lack of knowledge about White House furniture with anything else.

I'd also like to see a source for this, it seems like urban legend to me.

8. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

Too bad the Gettysburg address isn't his worst fact-fuck.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxXh6ZWfbDg

Obama has a really nasty habit of getting people riled up and thinking he's all that using skewed stories and falsehoods.

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

I suspect it is probably a Limbaugh Legend that has thetemplarswife bent out of shape.

The urban legend is that Lincoln wrote it on the back of an envelope when in fact the original copy is written on White House (Executive Mansion) stationary.

[​IMG]

Was it written at Lincoln's desk currently in the Lincoln Bedroom...Who knows.

Shocking ignorance of history? Hardly. Get a grip.

10. redux

redux Very Tilted

According to the right wing, Obama has disrespected the Oval Office by putting his feet up on the desk.

[​IMG]

and working in the Oval Office w/o a coat and tie

[​IMG]

11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

American partisanship makes the baby Jebus cry.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

He was a professor of Constitutional Law at the Univ. of Chicago so I'd imagine he at least has a working knowledge of the American Constitution. That's gotta be helpful occasionally.

I sort of love to watch Americans verbally spar over their president knowing as a Canadian ex-pat I have no say in the matter.

13. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

This x infinity.

It's hilarious to watch certain political issues (wars in Iraq/Afghanistan, Guantanamo, national security acts, even the days spent on "vacation") over the last few years. 6-7 years ago the left said we should immmediately be out of the Middle East, close Guantanamo, end the security acts, and that Bush spent too much time away from the White House. Then, when Obama was President, we needed a years' long plan to exit Iraq/Afghanistan, there was good reason to leave Guantanamo open, we needed the security acts to keep us safe, and Obama was really working when he was on "vacation" or golf trips. (I use "vacation" lightly, since I know I'm still almost completely abreast of what's going on at work, via modern technology, when I'm on vacation. I'm convinced the President's job is slightly more important, and he has slightly better resources to keep him in touch when he's away.) And all the people on the right who defended Bush are now tossing stones at Obama for keeping the status quo on those issues, forgetting their previous stance because the letter next to the President's name switched from R to D.

It's practically like watching Red Sox and Yankees fans. You love Roger Clemens or Johnny Damon until he's a Yankee, or you hate him until he's a Yankee, depending on which "team" you root for, when in reality it's the same policy........err, player.

14. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

I am of the opinion that those who desire the position will say what they think we want to hear coupled with they think they can do better until they actually get there then realize..."this ain't as easy as I thought". I do believe that those who were in positions of leadership prior might have a very tiny leg up over those who were not but it doesn't mean they are mistake proof.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Indigo Kid

Indigo Kid Getting Tilted

I feel it's important to remember that all those troops are coming home from Iraq. It's the first step towards leaving that part of the world and I'm glad they are coming home!

16. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

I think it's a mistake to go into a situation between smart and stupid with the intent to compromise.

17. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

"Yes, Obama duped young people by not doing every single thing they want. So now, they’ll all vote Republican. It’s like when I want some bread, I won’t settle for half a loaf. Instead, I will have a muffin made of broken glass." —Stephen Colbert

18. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

Obama's shining accomplishment is that the majority of Americans believe that a small minority of Tea Party people elected in 2010 have hindered his ability to govern and have more or less hijacked his political agenda. President Obama appears to take no responsibility for what is or is not happening in Washington. As President, it is amazing to me that he is able to get away with that.

19. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

the republican talking point par excellence is that obama hasn't done anything blah blah blah. the republican agenda is to create separation between the fiasco that their ideology implemented has caused and the republican brand. so nothing, at all, originating from the right can be taken seriously on this count because it's all about brand maintenance and not at all about reality. further, it is lunacy given the nature of congress for the right to attempt to dodge responsibility for intensifying the problems since they fell from power after the derivative crisis that followed in a straight line from their reckless attitude toward regulation. obama has not had the latitude to accomplish a whole lot. in part this follows from his style, but really, it follows from the right. at the same time, one achievement has been to highlight the empty, power-obsessed activities of the right. it is a tragedy, for all of us, that the republicans have anything near the margins they have in congress. hopefully their irresponsibility in real time with combine with their appalling record to render them insignificant.

20. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

Is that the Republican talking point, or, is it Obama's talking point in the context of his constant refrain of the "do nothing Congress"? Get's pretty confusing, but polls show most people blame Congress, not Obama - so it appears Obama's message is winning, hence a major accomplishment either way you look at it.