1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Our Long National Nightmare is Over: Congressional Republicans Push to Declare Pizza a Vegetable

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Willravel, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

In a move that would make any six-year old at the dinner table proud to be an American, congressional Republicans have finally started the push to declare that, for the purposes of having a healthy school lunch that includes vegetables, pizza should be considered a vegetable. This isn't just a victory for kids that refuse to eat broccoli, it's a victory for everyone that would rather have greasy, overly processed fast food as the centerpiece of their nutritional diet.

http://thepolicypatisserie.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/293/

This is where crony capitalism has lead our country, to places so absurd that our ability to parody them has been surpassed. As a result, children are left to enjoy vegetables like pizza, and, presumably, fruit like strawberry ice cream and whole grain like brownies.

So what is your favorite kind of vegetable? Four meat? Supreme? Cheese? I like the chicken and garlic variety of vegetable, myself.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

This is right up there with the Regan administration declaring ketchup a vegetable.

To my eyes its verging on being criminally irresponsible.

What we need to be eating a lot more of – throughout the world – is fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, fish and vegetable oils.

While Pizza can be made in a healthy manner, there is almost ZERO chance that what we are talking about here is highly refined and processed garbage. More effort needs to make real food cheaper while weaning ourselves off the processed crap that is killing us.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

But his conflicts with "The Godfather" Herman Cain's view on pizza: "The more toppings a man has on his pizza, I believe the more manly he is. … A manly man don't want it piled high with vegetables. He would call that a sissy pizza!"

Of course, all of this is rather silly not because of pizza itself, but because of the American idea of pizza: meat lovers' pizza, cheese lovers' pizza, crusts stuffed with cheese, double cheese, double meat, etc.

In America, vegetables are condiments and garnishes. Except for potatoes.

Give me a multigrain thin crust pizza loaded with vegetables, and hold the cheese.

4. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

That's cause you're a hippie vegetarian.

5. Baraka_Guru

Yeah, I suppose that does make it easy for me.

6. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

the salt industry is a group of corporate persons too yes? maybe they even have little corporate person children who are sent to corporate person schools who are more than happy to eat fries. and besides, it's in keeping with the family bidness. same with the children of the frozen pizza corporate persons. the idea that the interests of meat-based persons outweighs those of corporate persons is...well....unamerican.

7. Baraka_Guru

Did the Republicans hint at how many jobs this would create?

8. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

435 in the House
    100 in the Senate

but they're gonna have to spilt them with those damned Democrats

• Like Like x 2
  9. Alistair Eurotrash

Mmmmm .. healthy vegetables!

[​IMG]

In the same vein, on Monday, Congress passed an appropriations bill that considers a tablespoon of tomato paste as a serving of vegetables.

Lobbyists from the American Frozen Foods Institute also persuaded them to strike out other school lunch regulations, such as restrictions on sodium and servings of starchy vegetables.

10. Baraka_Guru

Is it one or two tablespoons?

The problem, though, isn't the tomato paste. Two tablespoons is more or less a serving of vegetables. (And it's far, far better than two tablespoons of ketchup.) The problem is the implication: the tomato paste needs to be delivered upon a vehicle of refined flour and high-fat dairy, and most likely sodium- and nitrate-laden meat.

It would be different if the tomato paste were meant to be included in a side dish of some kind to go along with sandwiches of whole-grain bread and more healthful foodstuffs.

But that's probably not going to be the outcome. The implication is pizza: pepperoni and cheese pizza as a serving of vegetables.

11. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

My son won't eat school pizza. He believes it's made out of recycled landfill.

I thought tomato was a fruit?

• Like Like x 1
  12. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

not according to ronnie raygunz...

13. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

It is.

14. Baraka_Guru

So are peas, peppers, beans, squash, cucumbers, etc.

15. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

And congress wonders why they have a single digit approval rating?

The media should be exposing the people who were bought off by the packaged pizza and potato (French fries) lobby.

The again, the GOP needs unhealthy kids to miss out of life and become disgruntled middle age guys to vote for them.

16. Joniemack

I'm still trying to figure out what this is. They call it fruit but it tastes like corn syrup. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

17. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

18. Joniemack

So it is ruled.

Fruit cocktail - fruit that is fruit made to taste not like fruit but something other than the can it came in. Much simpler and cheaper than fresh fruit when school boards are looking for ways to cut budgets. But it's still fruit, like pizza is a vegetable.

19. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I don't think there's any dairy involved in that chemical waste product they put on top and call "cheese product" or some such nonsense.
    And I know people love to bash Reagan but this is being done by Congresspeople of both parties and a liberal president.
    It has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with legalized corporate bribery of politicians.

20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Dude, Reagan thought ketchup was a veggie. Of course he also thought trees produced more pollution then cars. Cons and science have never been very good friends.
    --- merged: Nov 18, 2011 12:35 AM ---
    I like to consider a bloody Mary a decent breakfast once and while, hope they don't decide to go that route. Teachers might like it, mellow out the drones and all. But of course the cost of the vodka will probably keep school boards from ever trying it.