1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Paleo recipes and discussion.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I know we have at least a person or two here who eats paleo, or mostly paleo, if my memory serves me correctly.

My wife has been eating a form of paleo (my understanding is that there are a few versions with various exceptions allowed) for the last few months. She feels great, has lost weight, and more energy. I've been eating more and more paleo meals and have considered doing it for 5-6 days/wk to see if I have similar results.

Do I remember correctly, is there anyone here who eats paleo, or mostly paleo?

If so, what are your thoughts?

Have any great recipes?

Is there any great benefit you see? What if you aren't 100% strict, but choose to eat paleo all but 1-2 days/wk?

2. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I usually prefer to eat paleo, thigh I have been inconsistent with it over the past year. It's really easy to stick with if you are like me and don't like bread or pasta much to begin with. :)

One paleo treat I enjoyed when I needed something sweet:
    Dried apricots, coconut flakes, and a tiny bit of honey or agave nectar - run through a food processor, roll into balls, and refrigerate or freeze to harden. They're great!

The biggest hurdle I have found is eating out, so I don't do it much. However, I get around it by ordering burgers without the bun and salads instead of fries. Works well!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

That is the biggest downfall I see for myself if I try to go more that route. Because of my frequent travel, I am almost forced to eat out several times per week. For dinner I can get a steak and some veggies and that is pretty decent and fulfilling for me. But finding a quick, convenient lunch or breakfast is tougher.

My plan/thought isn't to go 100% paleo. My wife eats limited dairy, trying to stay furthest away from aged cheeses. She also eats limited legumes and potatoes. That would probably be what I do. So some might not accept that as truly "paleo". The main things she/we are trying to stay away from are grains, sugars, and processed food.

I'm not committed to going 100% paleo and giving up all that involves, but I do like the idea of maybe only picking 1-2 evenings per week to make exceptions, and trying to stick to it the rest of the week. At the very least, it'll make me think harder about my food choices, and waste less calories on things like soda and beer. Having 1-2 evenings per week for exceptions will still allow me enjoy a couple of beers or some wine every now and then, but will help me not waste too many calories/sugars on that stuff.

We'll see how it goes. Whatever I finally decide, I want it to be a fairly consistent and sustainable change, not some "diet" to trim a few pounds or for a temporary boost.

4. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm paleo. Rarely cheat or I get sick. I use paleo-zone meal planning to make sure that I get the right balance of nutrition. I have a metric fuck ton of recipes and websites that I can share with you. I've mastered eating out, especially with all of the negative conditioning of severe stomach pains.

Is your wife Primal? Or doing Whole30?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Borla

Yes, what she is doing probably fits the Primal label best.

6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Cool.
    I use Nom Nom Paleo®
    Against All Grain - Delectable paleo recipes to eat & feel great
    http://www.agirlworthsaving.com The Domestic Man
    PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes
    and Welcome to PaleoHacks

I've learned a ton about substitutions, being able to turn almost anything paleo. Zone-blocking is a really good way to figure out how to make sure that you're getting the right nutrition. I have a bunch of excel sheets that can be helpful in the beginning for figuring out how many carbs are in an item and how that translates into blocks. I never feel hungry any more if I block my protein-carb-fats out correctly. But, that's just what works for me.
    I'm not sure how many links I can put into one post, so I'll start another post for a few of our fail-proof, freaking amazing, favorite go-to meals that make awesome leftovers... if you don't eat them all ;)
    --- merged: Jan 20, 2015 at 5:30 PM ---
    Meatzas are the bomb: Mexican Meatza… Ole! | theclothesmakethegirl

Hands-down favorite. I also use Japanese sweet potatoes a lot of times, they just taste better. Maple-Roasted Chicken With Sweet Potatoes Recipe | Real Simple

You'd swear they were Chik-fil-A. No kidding. It's the pickle juice. Building a Better Chicken Nugget (Gluten Free, Paleo Recipe) | The Domestic Man

PaleOMG is right... PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes – Leftovers: Barbacoa

Coconut Almond Ice Cream Sundae - Vegan Family Recipes

I swear by these tortillas, too. They're stretchy and don't break with sandwiches. Simple Paleo Tortillas Stupid Easy Paleo

If you're interested in how to turn something paleo, lemme know. Michelle Tam and Kelly Bejelly are masters of the conversion recipe.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Borla

Awesome! Thanks so much @noodle , I am going to check some of those out and share with my wife. I appreciate the info. :cool: Feel free to use this thread to post up anything you come across, or throw something in there when you make something you think was awesome. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  8. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I made mini-meatloaves tonight... A pound of ground beef, sea salt, pepper, oregano, 3/4c diced onion, and a lightly beaten egg mixed up. In a separate bowl, you mix 1/2c ketchup (Organicville makes one that's pretty paleo compliant) and 1.5T dijon mustard (Organicville, too) . Reserve 8t of that miz and dump the rest in the beef mix. Form into 4 footballs and place on a greased cookie sheet with a rim or a metal pan. I use a cookie sheet with foil turned up around the edges. Top with 2T of the sauce and bake for 25m at 400*. It's the same as the original recipe, but minus bread crumbs. You can play with the salt/pepper/oregano balance.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Borla

We had almond breaded pork tenderloin with veggies.

10. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I'm one of those paleoish eaters. I follow a controlled, low carb regime that could be called paleo.

I see the term 'paleo' as more of a descriptive than a formula. I eat mostly meat, fish/seafood, eggs, nuts, seeds, some poultry, a lot of veggies.

It's defined mostly by what I avoid, which is agricultural products, including most grains, even so-called 'whole' grains. That automatically excludes sugar, HFCS, bread, pastries, most processed foods and fat/carb combo bombs like pizza.

But I'm not a fundamentalist. I just won't give up dairy, I like it too much.:) And I need my steel cut oatmeal, at least in winter. I'll live without beer and wine, but not without Scotch. :D

I try for about and 80/20 compliance ratio.
    I had a handfull of corn chips with my fajitas for lunch. I ate about half the beans, left the rice pretty much untouched.

I don't pay much attention to protein and fat ratios. I'm an omnivore tending toward carnivore, and fats and proteins seem to take care of themselves, if I keep the carbs under control.

It's worked for me for almost ten years.

My weight is stable at about 110. I've been able to keep my girlish figure, and actually weigh a little less than I did in high school. I'm told that I look a bit younger than my 38 years. My blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides numbers are nice and low.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

So is 100% whole grain paleo or no?

12. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that 'true' paleo excludes the grains (seeds) that came in to prominence with agricultural cultivation about 4-5,000 years ago. Like wheat, rice, oats, barley, maize, etc. It does not exclude wild seeds like pumpkin, pine nuts, tree nuts, etc.

It would seem to me that 'true' paleo should also exclude meat from grain fed animals.
    Corn fed beef is as dependent on agriculture as the corn itself. Right?

Logical?

But inconvenient.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Be sure to include organ meats too. Yes, all of them.

/paleohardcoremode

14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

No grains, no legumes, no dairy (with the exception of ghee and grassfed butter), no processed sugars, no white potatoes.

I've actually had friends with gluten problems that had reactions to grain-fed beef, @Lindy. Never thought about it before!

So, we eat tons of veggies and meats, grassfed when we can. I Eggs, almond or coconut milks, Japanese or regular sweet potatoes for white potatoes. Sub coconut palm sugar, honey, maple syrup, stevia or agave nectar (rarely) for sugar. Coconut, almond, tapioca or arrowroot flours/starches. I keep a lot of nuts on hand for good sources of fat. I have a reaction to seeds, so I avoid them except the occasional pepitas.

15. Borla

I ate the heart out of the last deer I got with my bow. *flex*

16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Raw? Right after the kill? You have the tenacity of a newlywed khaleesi.

[​IMG]

/threadjack

• Like Like x 3
  17. Borla

It was almost done beating, so it was kind of rare to medium rare....

• Like Like x 1
  18. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I think I could make this jump fairly easily from what I'm eating now.

@noodle - if you had just ONE recipe to share to introduce paleo to someone, which one would you choose?

Oh, and what about red potatoes?

19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Negative on the red potatoes for paleo, @RedSneaker. They're primal or Whole30, not paleo. I can actually tell about an hour later, now, if I eat something "gluten-free" that used potato starch.

It really depends on what you're looking for. Ease of substitution or cooking technique? Because the simplest paleo meals are my favorite.

Since I'm a three-blocker, I'll take 4oz of chilean sea bass, rub with EVOO, top with a sprinkle of fleur de sel and cracked pepper, and bake at 350 for 17 minutes or until it reaches 140*... after resting, it'll hit 145* and it's like buttah. I steam 3c of broccoli in the microwave with fleur de sel, cracked pepper, a little garlic powder and 1/2t of water. Add a pat of butter after, and shake it up. There's my protein and carbs. I need three blocks of fat, so a lot of times, I'll do half an avocado or some homemade coconut milk ice cream.

Or, I'll do that Maple Chicken with Sweet Potatoes. Or a Meatza... perfect examples of substitutions with a lot of flavor.

The biggest key to paleo that I've found, is balancing carbs, fat, and protein. Healthy fats (nuts, oils, coconut milk, avocado) fill you up, protein (meats and eggs) fuel your muscles, and carbs (veg, fruit... and sometimes beer or wine, because I do cheat there) will give you longer lasting energy.
    Here's a good idea of what it takes to get a "block" of something, but more importantly, it'll give you an idea of Paleo versus non-Paleo.
    Zone Blocks, Paleo, non Paleo, GI ratings | Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition

• Like Like x 1
  20. Borla

I appreciate all the input @noodle, and the more I read the more what I'm aiming for is closer to Primal than true Paleo. I still plan to limit some of the things that differentiate between the two, just not eliminate them.

Looks like tomorrow we are going to try out some meatza for dinner. :cool:

• Like Like x 2