1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Walker, killed in a fiery car crash at 40

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Actually, it's not ironic. It'd be ironic if he were killed as a pedestrian...or because he drove too slowly. :D

But he was the passenger apparently, so maybe there's some irony in that.

Dude should've drove?

• Like Like x 3
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Thanks for this. Some people just don't understand irony.

3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

[​IMG]

Too soon??

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Totally don't know who the guy is as in, never heard of him. Makes me wonder how many people I've never heard of. What was his best singular performance?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

He's best known for driving fast cars in movies about driving fast cars.

He was essentially a pop actor.

In 2003, he apparently won a Teen Choice Award for "Choice Movie Chemistry" between him and his car in the film 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Ironic isn't it? Or is it?

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hah! I nearly choked on my tea imagining you uttering this zinger while lounging on the Masterpiece Theatre set. You really need to work on your bookish-and-snooty man-about-town accent and get your own TeeVee show.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Oh OK. Thanks. :)
    I've walked by the TV when my spouse was watching the Fast and Furious films. I think Michelle Rodriguez might have caught my eye. Seems a lot of folks are dismayed by his death so that must speak to his ability as an actor to engage audiences. Sudden death is always tough for those left behind. Sad situation.

9. Baraka_Guru

Fast & Furious is one of the most popular Hollywood film franchises out there. It's Universal Studios' biggest franchise, having earned over $2.3 billion and currently being in development of its seventh feature length incarnation (there are short films, apparently).

I don't think Paul Walker was in all the films, but he certainly was from the beginning and was considered one of the franchise's top billed actors.
    --- merged: Dec 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM ---
    I'm seeing a lot of Facebook and Twitter posts about how sad people are, and I get that. He was a charismatic and entertaining actor. (I've seen maybe three of four of his films, and I'd say he was pretty good at what he did—for what it was.)

But some are going as far as to say, "He was such a good actor! So sad!" And I'm trying really hard to avoid responding with something like, "I know you really liked him, and that you enjoyed the Fast & Furious films, but come on! Let's not get too carried away! Sheesh."

That Walker's kudos are spread exclusively between Young Hollywood, MTV, and Teen Choice Awards is no accident. (Pardon the pun, but it was unintended.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Apparently, he also did some good work in a few other acting jobs, according to some folks over at AICN.
    Vehicle 19, Pawn Shop Chronicles, Running Scared, Eight Below, and Hours.

Rest in peace, Walker.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Yeah, he was a goddamn artist at... uh... having an action hero chin and seizure-shifting fancy riceburners.

/'Merican Tragedy

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baraka_Guru

With all due respect, those films (excluding Hours, which isn't released yet) have an average metascore of 41%....

But don't get me wrong. Like I said, I otherwise found him charismatic.

13. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

It doesn't matter than I never heard of him. It just means I wasn't his target demographic...and that "pop culture" is friggin' huge category.

14. He needs an english accent is what he needs. That'd go well with the cardigan.

15. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

That southern Ontario accent is pretty posh. <bats eyelashes>

16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

This thread is clearly about how awesome the OP is.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baraka_Guru

Original post or original poster?

I mean, are you talking about Paul Walker or the guy who crashed an echocardiogram machine?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Who's Paul Walker?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Baraka_Guru

Some car guy. You're asking the wrong person. I've never owned a car.

I didn't even get my driver's license until my mid thirties.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I love this thread.