1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Photo Manipulation Thread

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Speed_Gibson, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Often called the "photoshop thread". I chose the general term as everything I do is via the latest stable GIMP release. Whatever program you pick, the results are the same.
    My contribution to start things off is John Cena with some tatoos. Basic stuff but still entertaining.
    to give due credit, all the tatoos were from this site.

Attached Files:

2. Speed_Gibson

3. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Not sure if there are rules beyond the photograph posted has been altered to produce an effect of some kind? I'll never be a Deviant-artist but I guess I won't break the thread if I colour outside the lines.
    darkcastle.jpg
    Casa Loma, Toronto Ontario

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

^ I like how that image has a solarized look to it. Very cool.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Speed_Gibson

My latest GIMP work; I took the source picture at the 2009 Whitman County Fair near Colfax. I am posting this at the relatively large resolution of 1600x1067 pixels and 300 kb file size, mainly because of the sheer time and work involved with all of the fine little corners in this image. Well worth it for the finished product in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

That is cool! I cannot imagine having the patience, never mind the skill set to pull that off. Kudos!

7. Speed_Gibson

Thank you very much.
    I changed it slightly this morning by just adding a border and drop shadow. Those "fixes" popped into my head at work but I posted this right before leaving for work last night and had to wait until now.

8. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

I only adjusted this for contrast and brightness. It wasn't even cropped. The original is below.
    I was just pointing my camera and these guys just appeared in the frame! Honest!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

Even though I work with PS, et al for a living, I have to ask, what did you do that could not be done with something like Topaz or Threshold?

10. Speed_Gibson

I was unfamiliar with both of those products but looked them up online after reading your post. That threshold looks quite useful, although I suspect for an image like my source this time it would still be several hours to achieve the finished result.
    I would love to try out that Topaz package but my latest available build of Photoshop is 7.0 and the latest GIMP wins that comparison in my opinion. Not even going to start with the pointless GIMP vs. more recent PS builds spiel as I think that people that attempt to say an open source program with literally a handful of unpaid active developers is somehow completely 'better' than a 20 year old multi-million creation like PS are foolish to put it nicely. Perhaps that would make a good blog entry for me to do a balanced objective 'X vs Y' comparison of the two.

and to to attempt to answer your question - I strongly suspect that I did nothing that either one of those could do. That was literally just applying two layers and layer masks (technically just needed one but I tend do overkill) and removing the necessary parts - the same approach that probably works best in PS unless you have some kind of plugin to automate the process.

11. Speed_Gibson

I see that the Topaz plugins work with both Irfanview which I have used for years and Paint Shop Pro. :) I downloaded the trial version of the latest PSP earlier today and was planning on giving it a another look. My last experience with it was somewhere in the 3.0 days when it was still a JASC shareware product and fit on a 3.5" floppy disc.

12. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

I do not like PSP. I am using CS5 with Nik and Topaz plug-ins. I use my PS7 as well because of its automates. I'm still not sure of what was done here-masking and removing detail through contrast/brightening/levels? Since I don't use GIMP, my guessing is probably way off, but that is how I create this kind of image.

13. Speed_Gibson

I will post details tomorrow morning when I get home from work as I am leaving very soon. Not many steps but I want to write it properly and it would fall under a rush job that would pester me all night all work wherever I "screwed up".
    Still have not installed the trial for PSP and I do not like feel like paying $80 for it, but I am mainly curious how the interface is compared to what I am used to in the GIMP.

14. Canthook

Canthook Vertical

I use GIMP to colorize scanned doodles. Not sure if that counts as photo-manipulation though.

15. Speed_Gibson

sounds like it to me. I would do that if I had any real drawing skills.

16. Speed_Gibson

My latest bit of work
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

18. Canthook

Canthook Vertical

mts 1.jpg
    photo of mountains: I copied pieces of the tree and surrounding rocks to cover a building and a street light

• Like Like x 2
  19. Speed_Gibson

My latest bit of work, nothing too fancy. The text is all me but I am certain there are countless variations of this floating around out there if I actually cared to look.
    Changed my mind, here is the link to the file on my picture gallery.
    and the actual picture that I uploaded just for this after all.
    The title for this just might be ""Make the music stop already!"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Canthook

Canthook Vertical

DeLorean. Saturate and blur.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2