1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Pointless announcements 2.0

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cynthetiq, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The inside temp hit 87F around 5pm and is still at 87F. We're getting by with a standing fan, a turbine-style floor fan, & ceiling fans; my wife says if they don't get the AC fixed tomorrow we're going to a hotel.

• Like Like x 1
  2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Yeah, we slept on the hardwood floor in the living room and made swamp coolers using fans and bags of ice.
    I think if it had gone on much longer we would have headed for a hotel.
    Take care of yourselves.
    Stay hydrated.

3. Chris Noyb

My wife will be heading to a Dr appointment, so she gets a break. Except the appointment is in the Texas Medical Center, a confusing maze of hospitals, clinics, medical schools, professional buildings, & even more confusing parking garages.

Oh, the inevitable: The repair crew is running behind, had to pick up part(s) from the distributor.

The inside temp at 7:45am was 85F.

4. Chris Noyb

I've been hearing about, ad nauseum, Yellowstone the series. I think the ongoing writers strike is the reason CBS decided to bring it to free antenna broadcast TV.

I watched episode one/premiere episode Sunday night. I wasn't impressed. Two big WTFs?:
    Changing the course of a river?...And that easily?.
    The number of people using single action revolvers and lever action rifles. This' 2023, not 1900.

5. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Chris Noyb

Hey, hey, long time no hear from. What's up?

• Like Like x 1
  7. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

wow!! @MeltedMetalGlob good to hear from you! I was wondering about you the other day!!! I hope that you are well and that the world has been at least okay.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MeltedMetalGlob

Things aren't great at all, but I'll go into detail in a more private area. Thanks for asking. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

10. MeltedMetalGlob

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. MeltedMetalGlob

Wanted to comment on this- I watched the show up until its hiatus halfway through its fifth season. I was enjoying it, but I had my own WTF moments with it. One gripe is that characters tend to shrug off massive damage to their bodies. One character gets riddled with machinegun fire, ends up in the hospital for a few days, then instead of resting, goes and dunks himself into a hot spring for an hour (because the Indians did it this way) and he's as right as rain from thereafter.

Another character gets his hand stomped on as punishment for starting a fight, yet in the next episode not only is he not bandaged, he seems to have full use of his hand. Still another character takes a BOMB TO THE FACE and apart from an artistic scratch across their cheek, they just have to change their shredded clothes and they're good to go for the rest of the episode.

The other gripe is that as the show's popularity grew and its creator did the spinoffs/prequels, the show started to show neglect. The first three seasons had tight editing and no wasted moments in its run time. As Taylor Sheridan spent more time on his other creations, you'd start to see more padding in the subsequent season, with numerous musical montages featuring contemporary country artists and shots of cowboys rustling cattle. This is called filler, and it serves no real purpose apart from establishing atmosphere.

This is okay if it was a staple of the show from the beginning, but these sequences are totally absent from the first few seasons.

I was watching this with my wife, but now I think I'll skip the rest whenever it comes out (November 2024, supposedly)

12. Chris Noyb

The Miraculous Recoveries were one of many reasons I stopped watching after just four episodes. In one scene the young guy, protected by being branded :rolleyes:, is injured, in severe pain, & about to collapse off his horse. A "you need to show you're a real cowboy" pep talk from one the older real cowboys straightens him out immediately.

The WTF?/NFW! factor was seriously way too high for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MeltedMetalGlob

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Chris Noyb

There's no Groan rating ;).

• Like Like x 2
  15. MeltedMetalGlob

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I love that "But Spock!" face on Shatner.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris Noyb

Is
    Four Funny > Three Funny + One Winner?

--- Double Post Merged, Jan 18, 2024, Original Post Date: Jan 18, 2024 ---

The software decided to merge my posts :confused: :rolleyes:.

Not exactly an announcement, and not pointless if you're a Ray Walston fan, just something related to my post in another thread.

View: https://youtu.be/AmnTFVKOjec?si=Ba2M-LDrxXTjykCR

18. omega

omega Very Tilted

Just got tickets to see Hairspray! Which is touring through Denver in March. And I'm taking my 13 year old daughters and my wife. Turns out she has never seen the movie either. Talking about the more recent one with Christopher Walken and John Travolta. Very excited. I hope my girls appreciate it, and I think they will.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Chris Noyb

Yesterday my wife managed to break the rotating brush in our vacuum cleaner...while we doing to serious spring cleaning. It also broke my mood for doing serious spring cleaning.

I figured out how to get to the roller, but it turned out removing it completely to rig a temporary fix was too much trouble. This didn't help my mood.

Today I'm using our new $350.00 Shark Stratos DuoClean Power Fins vacuum. It's ranked a small step behind the $400 Dyson Ball Animal 3 Extra for vacuums made for pet hair. So far so good.

I really need to rent a dumpster. I'm clearing out decades of hoarded crap we didn't to keep in the first place, & crap we no longer need to keep.

Also...did you know cats find creative places to pee & poop, regardless of the number of cats boxes available?

20. Chris Noyb

Here in Houston we could've gotten a great view of the moon covering about 90% of the sun; just about now would've been maximum coverage.

Instead we got heavy cloud coverage. About 30 minutes ago I very briefly caught the start of the eclipse. The clouds have since formed a no gaps blanket.