1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Go!

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by genuinemommy, Jul 21, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

2. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

How easily we turn into lemmings...

3. The only problem I have with the game so far is that areas that are usually empty and clean are now being filled with pokemon go players and the rubbish they leave behind. Since the game uses google maps, roads are now being used by people who normally wouldn't think to use them and the players are now hitting up spots that were once well kept secrets by the locals. With all of the subreddits and forums dedicated to pokemon go, all it takes is one person to start notifying tourists and weekenders to ruin parks and trails that were once quite and tranquil. But that is just my experience.

4. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

as fads go, at least this one is getting people to explore their surroundings, putting in cardio to hatch the eggs, and has off screen social elements where real people interact. the infrastructure of the places aren't prepared but that will level out i think. i can't imagine a bunch of places being irrevocably chernobyled by pokemon go players.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I find that people (mostly because of the media) have focused too much on the negative stuff, when the most interesting aspect is the positive stuff. For example (of which there are many):

Gavin McDonald - My 8 yr-old daughter + Pokemon GO Canada,... | Facebook

• Like Like x 5
  6. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

This is great.

I'm playing. I've walked many miles in search of Pokemon in the last couple of weeks. It's fun to get out in my community and talk to other people. I went down to one of the big parks here on Saturday and there were a good fifty people congregated around an area with several Pokestops as someone had dropped a lure module. It was fascinating to see who was playing--it really is all ages, and there were several couples walking around collecting (also something my husband and I do on the weekend).

I really think this is the important piece:

I have a mount for my bicycle now so I don't have to walk to collect Pokemon. I haven't tried it out yet as I need to give my bike an overall tune-up before I head out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. redux

redux Very Tilted

9. genuinemommy

Authorities investigating the cause of fatal I-40 crash | WBIR.com

Regarding the accident, this statement was made by a family member on Facebook:
    Honestly I don't see how a video game could be to blame for a head-on collision at 1:30am. It is clearly a case of poor judgement, and likely driving under the influence.

People make poor choices, no matter the new trend. Let's not blame a game, instead let's exert some self control and common sense.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

News article dump INCOMING:

Mental Health

Physical Health

Social Help

Huge gatherings of nerds/geeks

Local Businesses

As a owner, I know how hard it is to fight bigger corporate places and get feet in your storefronts. Because pokestops are usually local businesses or public places, you are seeing a ton of people going to resturants/shops/stores that they would have never visited. I know a Vape shop owner and a coffee shop owner that have said they have doubled business because of the app. They are buying lures to bring people into their businesses (which is cheaper than most printed/digital ads).

*DOGS*

I could list more, but it gets repetitive. Bottom Dollar - This game is doing a lot of good, very little bad.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Baraka_Guru

This is probably the only reason why I haven't given up on getting into this game.

I'm only lvl 5, and I still haven't picked a team. What team should I pick?

EDIT:

To clarify, the one reason why I haven't gotten into it is the thought, "Oh, man, I have to go outside for the sake of going outside, and explore places for the sake of exploring them...?" It's the depression talking. In other words, I'm not playing the game because of the factors that the game is being lauded for dealing with.

#hermit

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

It's not instantly curing depression, but it is giving people a reason to fight back with their depressive swings. I think that's the bigger deal.

TEAM VALOR.

[​IMG]

The Fan edits for teams is awesome too.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

This phenomenon is cool on a number of levels. It's new (way to play) and yet old (everyone knows Pokemon) at the same time.

I walk my pooch in the park each night. Usually there is a stray jogger here and there and other dog-walkers, as well as a few folks shooting hoops. Now though, wow...people all over the place with cellphones in hand. Instead of being insulating, the cellphones are a conduit to interactivity with others, even non-players. I really love this about Pokemon Go.
    I enjoy listening to the running commentary from the people in the park and in our neighbourhood. Almost to a person, when the game first came out, were exclamations of how fun it was to be outside(!)

I don't play Pokemon Go but I live with a gamer and so have been updated as much as I wish on the game and how it progresses.
    I'm excited about what the future may hold for this game and others to come. Anything that brings people together with a fun common interest is a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Baraka_Guru

For me, it is the sum of small factors. This is another factor.

Sorry, bro. My friends say Team Mystic....

• Like Like x 1
  15. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

In Tulsa a 5 K Pokemon Go walk was arranged. Businesses, churches and a museum were Pokemon stops. This has gotten people out and a reason to walk. I actually quit playing when I realized I wouldn't walk enough to hatch an egg.

16. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I tried it, but I think I don't really get it. It just feels really awkward to be wandering around and either staring at my phone or just constantly stopping and pulling it out. But it's a neat idea and I think it's cool that it's getting people off their butts and moving.

17. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Jim sterling is a games commentator who is a bit of an acquired taste but has some great insight (often NSFW) about the world of gaming.
    His take on Pokemon Go is pretty spot on.

18. Some random kid on campus told me to join the red team....

19. genuinemommy

There are teams?

20. Yeah I haven't gotten that far.

I'm really interested in Augmented Reality and it's benefits for marketing campaigns, so of course I had to see what this was all about. I saw some kid playing and knew by his hand motions that he was playing. I asked him what he was catching, and said I was checking it out. He asked me what team I was on, but I had no clue what he was talking about so I just said I was very new. He told me red was the best team. Better Red than Dead! Amiright?

THEN while at our park where ToddlerSquirrel plays we ran into a bunch of hunters (I'll admit, seeing so many grown men at a kids playground kinda creeps me out.) We learned that the playground is a hotspot for Pokemon. DaddySquirrel yelled, "GO TEAM RED!" Well that started a ruckus. They said they were going to win back their pokespot or whatever from the red....

So yeah. It's kind of fun. I have a reason to do more smack talk about things that don't really matter!!!

• Like Like x 3