1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Do you like to exercise?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Do you like to exercise?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Pizza

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Someone asked me this the other day.
    I had to think about it.
    I enjoy some forms of exercise, I suppose. I enjoy going for long walks. I like stretching. So... yeah? I guess?
    It caught me off guard. I wasn't quite sure how to answer.

So here you go... do you like to exercise?

2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Depends on your definition of exercise.

Going to the gym is boring as hell (for me). Skiing and hiking are hardly sedentary activities.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Exercise for the sole purpose of exercise? Oh god no.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

There are lots of sports and activities that involve exercise that I love. I've never enjoyed just going to the gym, or running/walking just for the exertion. I've made myself do it in the past, but even after months of 3-4x/week, I still hated it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I like picking things up and putting them down again.

• Like Like x 4
  6. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I love it.
    It has to be outdoors though.
    I do lots of cycling, XC and downhill skiing, and hiking.
    And we skate and play hockey in the winter.

If I go a day with no outdoor exercise it's not a good day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Nope, not even a little bit but I know I need to which is one of the reasons I use a bike for transportation.
    I get my exercise, some zen time and I have to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

If I'm not there, no.
    But once I get there, yes.

And I can't do repetition for long...that's tedious. So I mix it up.

Biking is nice because the scenery changes quick.
    B-ball and football is nice because I'm engaged.
    Swimming I like at the beach...a tide to work against.

Walking & Running, meh...I prefer hiking, off trail...something you're using all your balance and body on.

I'm either off or on.
    Lazy, pondering, thinking
    Energized, focused, to exhaustion
    There is no inbetween.

• Like Like x 2
  9. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

The average person can't burn enough calories to lose weight exercising. My doctor says swimming is the perfect sport due to the overall effect and benefit

• Like Like x 4
  10. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

No.....but I need to

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Does gardening count?

I exercise so that my body is functional for the activities I like to do. I'm in PT right now trying to get all fixed up for summer.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yerba

Yerba ...wait, what?

I enjoy it. I prefer to do exercises that are baked into more interesting things (swimming, hiking, physically moving heavy stuff around) instead of just being in a gym.

That said... I'm starting to get into running now and it's becoming a bit addicting.

• Like Like x 3
  13. *Nikki*

*Nikki* Slightly Tilted

I like walking long distances and weight lifting. Unfortunately I haven't been doing either recently.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Yes, but only after I get over the initial soreness, which is related to getting into a routine where I'm comfortable and stop over doing it. And getting past the initial increase in appetite (Listen, body, you don't need extra calories. Just go after the fat I'm carrying around now, OK?).
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 3, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 3, 2017 ---
    Low impact on the joints is a huge plus for those of us with ageing joints.

• Like Like x 2
  15. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I love swimming. And hiking. And roller skating. And running, after I'm done :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. omega

omega Very Tilted

I am finally taking a rest day from lifting tomorrow. I have gone seven days straight. It has been very cathartic for me, going so consistently the past 1.5 years. It kept me from sinking into depression after leaving the patrol. I have started getting up at 0545 at times to get a morning workout in.
    Swimming is an ok exercise, but I believe weightlifting is more functional. Weightlifting takes more training, and involves more skill. Unfortunately people don't get trained or have good form or programs. So they waste time or don't see results or get injured. A proper program will have far greater results and improvements in activities of daily living than almost anything else. You build muscle. That allows you to carry bags of groceries. Shovel snow. Climb flights of stairs. Open jars. Sit on the floor and get back up. Help your parents move around. Pick up furniture. And all of those things with a reduced rate of injury. When you swim, you might become a better swimmer. You might gain a little muscle, if you are willing to work hard. Like actually do repeat sprints. You don't get in shape by trudging through the water for a half mile and calling it a day. You need to do repeat 50s and 100s, pushing hard through the water. Then you might gain a little bit of upper body muscle. And that muscle will be functional for swimming, because it's total repetition against a fixed resistance. You can't make water heavier. You get no protection against osteoporosis, and only your shoulder joints go through a full range of motion. Your legs are almost useless. Most people are lousy swimmers and have terrible technique, so they get frustrated and never improve. If you don't know what you are doing, how can you correct and improve? But it's easy for Dr's to say go swim, it's great. No, it's not. But you probably won't get injured. You won't get results or improvements, but that's your fault for failing, not the Dr's fault for being lazy. Btw, I swam summer swim team for many seasons, was a lifeguard all through high school and into college, and was certified as a water safety instructor. I have swam 50 meters underwater on one breath multiple times, and I have swam to 30 feet of depth with only fins. And I have been certified in scuba. Swim team got me good at swimming, but only because of the constant push to go harder and swim faster. Floating from one end to the other does nothing. I know how many strokes it takes to cover 25 yards in freestyle for me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I like all kinds of movement and working out. It keeps me sane, for the most part. I don't do it enough...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Yes I like to push as hard as I can against limits. Swimming may not be for everyone, but it is the only time I feel graceful. It makes me stronger, happier, and takes so much pain away. Weight training missed more than I realized, and am getting back to a strength mindset. Belly dancing made me feel powerful and expressive, relearning it means training the body to work with the parts that don't work instead of against or in spite of them. Kundalini yoga (modified) makes me feel centered, sinuous, and energetic.

• Like Like x 2