1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: hobbies without electricity?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Mar 16, 2017.

?

Do you have hobbies that require no electricity?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Depends

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

If you had unlimited free time and no electricity (nor capacity to make it) what would you do with your time?

Do you have hobbies that involve disconnecting from electronics?

What do you do for fun when there's a power outage?

----___----

When power goes out in our neighborhood, all the kids and teenagesrs come out of their houses and start riding their bikes or playing basketball. It's kinda shocking how many kids come out of the woodwork.

I like to paint, hike, ride my bicycle, and crochet. I also enjoy reading physical books.

My daughters are relatively easy to entertain in the absence of electricity, and it becomes easier when other kids are around.

I had a dream the other day where electricity was uncommon and difficult to produce. It was a very different world.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

READ. That's my go-to for every hurricane and power outage since I was a little kid.
    I also love to garden and do photography and lay the grass and stare at the sky.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Ride my bicycles, read, and cross country ski.
    And sex is another popular pastime when the lights are out.

• Like Like x 2
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Reading
    Exercise - Biking, Swimming, Hiking, B-ball, Karate, etc...
    Art
    Science

If I was back in the colonial days, I'd be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldtimer56

oldtimer56 umime

Blacksmith, glassblowing, cooking, anything that requires fire.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I use electricity in my iPhone even when riding my bike now. If I don't track my ride it never happened.

But, I'm glad I was born before tiny screens were everywhere... I watched enough TV and used an old computer too much as it was. It doesn't come close to the current generation and what they are doing though. I feel sad for their controlled childhoods.
    Hard-Hitting Nature Valley Ad Shows The Terrifying Side Of Kids Addicted To Technology

• Like Like x 1
  7. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

When I'm working and have the disposable income, I make Beer and Mead.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I used to do magic. I don't do it so much anymore. I should pick it up again when I can.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

One of my favorite pastimes in decent weather is sitting outside by a fire and reading. Though I usually do that on an electronic device, I would be fine doing it with a paper copy of a book. Another hobby of mine is hunting, which could be done without any form of electricity, and would probably be even more valuable in such a scenario.

Some of my other hobbies probably depend on if you have a strict interpretation of what you seem to be asking. Technically my motorcycle uses electricity and electronics to function. But I consider it mostly a "disconnected" hobby because it lends itself to enjoying nature, scenery, and being free from email/phone/internet/etc.

• Like Like x 3
  10. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

this.... I tend to love just spending time in the garage. wether it be cleaning it or tinkering with a transmission

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Two hobbies I haven't pursued in quite a while didn't/don't require electricity.

Gardening. Sunlight and muscle.

Trying to get older chainsaws back in running condition. I frequently worked on them on the patio or under the garage overhang. Natural light and non-powered hand tools.

EDIT--Reading actual paper books. But the outdoors light sometimes bothers my eyes.

• Like Like x 2
  12. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Reading for sure. I also love hiking with my dog(s), and roller skating. Although, I guess skating technically requires electricity, since there aren't any outdoor rinks around here.

Oh, and swimming during the summer.

When the power goes out, and it's warm, I like to sit on the porch with the pups and a book. If it isn't warm (or if it's dark outside), I'll light some candles and sing to the pups. Eden and I have also played board games during power outages (I mean, we like to do that when the power IS on, too...but it's something easy and fun to do without electricity.)

• Like Like x 4