1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Practicing Gratitude

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by snowy, Feb 26, 2012.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Last night my husband and I were folding laundry and listening to the Science Friday podcast, catching an older episode from December. One of the pieces featured Dr. Andrew Weil talking about his latest book, Spontaneous Happiness. It deals with integrative treatment of depression. For those of you who don't know, I have struggled with depression off and on since I was 15, and came to many of the conclusions Dr. Weil presents: diet, exercise, and cognitive-behavioral therapy are all central to treatment of depression. Given my interest in using CBT to combat my own tendencies, one thing Dr. Weil mentioned really interested me: gratitude. He discussed how practicing gratitude is associated with an increase in positive mood.

You can listen to the podcast here: http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201112022
    An article from Dr. Weil on gratitude here: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400861/Is-Gratitude-Healthy.html

I am interested in starting to practice gratitude. Originally, I had thought of creating a blog entry and just posting about this in my blog, but then I thought that perhaps others at TFP would be interested in joining me on this journey. If you are, please post a handful of things you are grateful or thankful for on a weekly basis (or more often, if you're so inclined). There is no need to reflect on them, but if you wish to, feel free.

Today, I am grateful for my husband. I am glad that he often pokes and prods me into doing things I don't necessarily want to do. It's good for me, and I am often equally thankful for the result after whatever it is is over.

• Like Like x 3
  2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Good lord, I have an endless list of things I am grateful for.

Today I will mention the obvious: my mother. I have this incredible mother who is smart and passionate. She instilled in me virtues and ideals that I use to interpret and navigate the world everyday. She exposed me to music and films and art and books and politics and taught me that these things are important. She taught me how to use profanity with conviction and flair. I can talk to her about anything whether it is sex or a documentary I saw last week or current events in Africa. In fact, I can't imagine who I might be if I hadn't been raised by my mother. I shudder to think of it. Plus, even when I fuck up my mother shows me nothing but praise and support. She is my biggest fan. She has supported me through this education adventure with love, encouragement and money when I need it and is always telling me not to worry (which I do anyway) because she is only a phone call away when I need her. I guess it's that she believes in me that is so special (even when I don't) and it's an incredible feeling to have someone like that in your life. Especially when it is someone you respect. I am truly, eternally grateful for my mother.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I'll partially echo both snowy and mixedmedia. I'm thankful for my wife. She is a wonderful person, very giving, very forgiving, and tolerant of all of the imperfections that make me who I am, while at the same time rooting for and supporting the positive things that make me who I am. I'm also incredibly grateful for my parents. They raised me in a loving but disciplined environment. I always felt secure in their relationship with me, and with each other. I'm still learning lessons from them today, despite being on my own now for close to 15 years, and they are two of my closest friends.

Though I haven't studied Dr. Weil, I do personally believe that meditating on the good things you have in your life can help you stay balanced and positive.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

I like to give Snowy my gratitude for giving me advice; I think it was about a year and 1/2 ago on relationships. I just joined TFP and was ready to give it all up, 30 years down the drain.
    So I took your advice and we have been working on things ever since. It's a slow go, but aleast we are trying.

• Like Like x 3
  5. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

I have endless list of people... But there are a few who went out of their way to make me better...
    I would like to give gratitude to my two friends (one during 10th grade and the other during pre-college) who taught me Maths. If not for them I could not have made it. I also would like to give gratitude to an online friend who coached me and helped me turn around our sex life few years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I've been a fan of Dr. Weil since college, when I first heard of him. I saw a video of one of his lectures (I can't remember the topic) in a class I took on public relations. He was offered as a good example of how to present and how to interact with people.

When I looked into him further, I realized that he takes an approach to health and well being that I prefer: a balanced integrative approach.

I suppose I will start participating in this thread by expressing how grateful I am for finding out about him and reading a few of his books. I am grateful for integrating some of his recommendations into my own life. And I will be grateful tomorrow when I start doing more after I pick up the audiobook copy I have of Spontaneous Happiness that's waiting for me at the library!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I'm thankful for my wife and my little dog. For my friends and my parents. For a tradition that I love, with texts I love to study. And for all my students, even the ones that I wish were more engaged. Every time I get to teach it gives me a happy inside.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mick

Mick Vertical

I am greatful that I, myself, was born into the universe.

How strange it is energy and matter can come together in such harmony to question its own existence and experience all the dimensions around it. I grateful for being able to experience the universe, as me, and see it and appreciate it the way that I do.

I'm grateful, so very grateful, for the awesome souls that I've had the great privileged to journey and share this experience with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

I am eternally grateful for my children. They give me purpose, inspire me, and are the source of my greatest joy and pride.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Love this one, I feel the same about mine. They have all move out and are own their own.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Phi Eyed

Phi Eyed Getting Tilted

I am grateful that I have had the opportunities, 100 times over, to reflect on being grateful.

• Like Like x 2
  12. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I am grateful every morning to be upright and vertical; it is already 50% of the daily battle.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I am grateful for my sweet thirteen-year-old chocolate/yellow lab, who's a trooper despite her blindness and mobility problems.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I am grateful for what can only be described as dumb luck. The old cosmic roulette wheel has been real kind to me. I managed to stagger into real life at around 20 years of age and it has been nothing but good times for the most part. Can't believe that my effort alone is responsible for putting where I am today. Because I'm not that smart. Or that ambitious. Yet somehow I ended up with this awesome life. At no point have I needed anything and not been able to get it; at no time have I been denied a reasonable want. So, as far as I see it, either I'm incredibly boring or incredibly lucky.

Man, don't really know what to make of it all.

Especially since I don't believe in luck.

• Like Like x 5
  15. SCBronco

SCBronco Getting Tilted

Grateful for my father... whether i like it or not, i am a slightly refined, yet also more extreme verison of him... and i like that...:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Gratitude is one of my foundation feelings/positions. When I was in my twenties and thirties, people around me thought it was a sign of weakness in me, of subservience. As if there was fault in being grateful for what was 'mine by right'. I contested the notion of 'right', and noticed that they were the first to feel 'hard done by' when stuff got taken away. I tentatively concluded that the greater our capacity for gratitude, the less we experience disappointment. I always give people the thanks and appreciation they deserve, and I mean it from the depths of my soul.

cynthetiq 's 'upright and vertical' is awesome. Everything else is adornment. To be Here At All ... I relate to Mick 's post and dearly wish I could one-to-one experience that cosmic/spiritual connection, because much of my life has been lived with a quiet sense of WTF and a quieter response of "I don't bloody know". Plan9 mentions 'dumb luck'; 'Pig ignorance' describes many of my own wanderings since birth.

There is one person who has turned more of my life around than I suspected I even had. A true Southern gentlewoman, my Texas Honey, a great photographer/thinker/tech-geek who added heart to my backbone, and backbone to my heart, limited, due to our health, to emails and skype. Since her recent bad stroke, she has hardly been able to communicate for nearly a year and a half. Her qualities: impeccable courtesy, high principles, and behaved according to them wherever she was and regardless of advantage or disadvantage to herself. In short, classy. Qualities I have always aspired to - the English concept of class never satisfied me.

I've been sitting at the computer for about two hours, writing nothing, but thinking through how she helped me refine the velvet in my glove and temper the iron in my hand, both in my dealings with people and myself, and in my approach to my art. Many, many memories. Dang it. This sad opportunity to take inventory feels like an absent living wake. I give thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  17. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i'm just grateful for the opportunity to stay alive, be myself, and be appreciated for it...

• Like Like x 2
  18. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I am grateful for the new glasses I received today. I can finally see the lecture notes my professor puts up on the document camera without asking him to zoom in. I also like that they are rimless on the bottom, and they're so lightweight I feel like I have nothing on my face.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mick

Mick Vertical

An over inflated sense of entitlement seems to be a common and ugly affliction this day and age. People think they deserve to be rude and disrespectful to others by right, and it's a quality in people I have little tolerance for. I've been doing some form of customer and client services since I could work, and lord knows I've copped my share of bad attitudes and disrespect. I refuse to dish it out to anyone else just trying to do their job. Most of us, when we really think about it, lead amazingly comfortable and privileged lives. I try to keep that in mind at all times. Because unless some shit is life threatening, I just don't see the need for the anxiety and anger.

One thing I've noticed over the years, if you want to take a real peak into someones soul, see how they handle themselves with exceptionally bad service at a restaurant. You'll learn all sorts of truths about a person there.

Today I am grateful that with putting minimal effort into getting anywhere in my life I get by with a very comfortable lifestyle. So comfortable I was able to buy a motorbike that will finally arrive on Friday. And riding that thing makes me appreciate life on all kinds of levels and facets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I'm grateful that some couple we know (that has is a Q and a J) had a baby today!

• Like Like x 3