1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Prometheus (a sci-fi film by Ridley Scott)

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Jetée, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Film's Tagline: The search for our beginning could lead to our end.
    [​IMG]
    Prometheus - directed/produced by Ridley Scott (2012) {click image to enlarge}

Has anybody heard anything about this film? (or for those in Europe, did you go to see it opening weekend - how was it?)
    Myself, I don't really follow any form of media/entertainment closely, especially featuure-length cinema, but I usually get a hint or a synopsis of things to come. This film, however, arrived to me via a blindside of gorgeous posters, advertising its release in the past and future week in early June. I have not yet seen a single preview or trailer, (although I have found several for those of you that care to view it) but from the about half-dozen posters I've seen in the past day, and knowing of the name attached to the film, (think Alien, , Blade Runner, Terminator) it is easy enough to imagine what thematics and story this film is seeking to explore. I guess a question I have is to the person(s) who knew about this film months prior, are you still excited to see this film as soon as you can, or do you believe that the premise could be a tired one already (sci-fi/alien origin stories)?

My take:
    I am a bit of an oddball when it comes to seeking out films, and it directly correlates to why I believe this could be an awesome cinematic experience for me. I try, as much as I am able to, to go into a film 'cold'; sure, I like looking at posters, and finding film trailers to share, but I do not like reading reviews of films before seeing a film (though I don't really mind overhearing a compatriot's thoughts on the film if s/-he recently saw it). In essence, the best movie-going experience I can imagine is just knowing the title of a film, deciding whether or not just the title of the film piques my interest, then viewing it, and ultimately, if it was worth my time, I would probably rate the viewing as more enjoyable than if I researched the movie for a solid eight months or more leading up to its release (and being let-down by raising my expectations gradually over that span of time).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, but I'll end up waiting for the dvd release, most likely.
    I just don't enjoy going to the movies any more.

Btw, Jetée, I read where you wrote "and knowing of the name attached to the film, (think Alien, , Blade Runner, Terminator)and that sent a ding to my memory, so I went and checked IMDB, and checked Google and Wikipedia. I can't find where Ridley Scott had anything to do with The Terminator. :)
    I saw where he was offered Terminator 3, but was doing Black Hawk Down at that time.

3. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

James Cameron directed the Terminator as well as Aliens.
    Might be the source of confusion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I am hopefully going to see this on Friday. Very intrigued.

5. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Yeah. I made a mis-step there.
    The one that is not like the other there is Terminator. (must've had Cameron seep into the brain, when I was thinking of the Aliens sequels).
    I am with you there, Fremen. I don't much get out, or even care to go, to the theatres now in this latter stage of my life.
    But, if I feel a film can become an immersive experience, (this one has me believing) or if I get really excited about a comedy film, (really rare) I do feel it may be worth the effort to step outside my box, and shell out some coin to watch a big flickering screen amongst strangers and screamers.

I'll end this reply with another poster (+primer) that I had to dig deeper for...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. b2653009 Slightly Tilted

I can't freaking wait for this film to come out. Been waiting a year for this one. :) I <3 Ridley Scott so much.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

My take: A re-imagined Alien.

expanded:
    (a generation-and-a-half later; less horror/suspense & "that which is not there", supplanted by more existentialism/visual story-telling & 3D-atricals)

8. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

This sounds good or at least better than the recent Alien films. I will probably end up seeing it on DVD; the last film I watched on the big screen was part two of Harry Potter Deathly Hollows.

9. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I wanted more science-y research and archeology puzzles. I really should've known better, but the trailers fooled me.

I mean, it was somewhat entertaining, and the ending scene was cool, but overall... I was pretty underwhelmed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

slightly offtopic but that reminded me. Not having a live television feed for a good while now means that I only see movie trailers online. I just found out there was a Ghost Rider 2 with Nicolaus Cage (mispelled more than likely) a month ago or so. Saw a good portion of that in the break room at work on lunch this morning and thought it was decent in the cheesy comic book -based story.
    I read a brief blurb about this film that only mentioned a trillion dollar expedition in the year 2093 I think.

11. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Here's a few visualisations a buddy scrounged up a while ago that pertains to the film's history and imagini-scape.

And for those that have not yet seen the film: although much of the reviews that I have come across squarely peg this film for what it is, and what it ultimately tried "not" to be, it is still is a worthwhile experiene to view it in lush 3D-atricals.

Most of the story is being told through what you are seeing on-screen, anyhow (in case you are of the mind that the acting might underwhelm you).

Anyway, if you care to view what the film looked like through the storyboard process, click below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Prometheus: Concept Art by Steve Messing

- - -

[​IMG]
    Deleted Scene Set Pic by Creature Inc. Ltd

- - -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Prometheus: The Engineer On Set Pics & Make Up FX by Conan O’ Sullivan

- - -

[​IMG]
    Prometheus: Fifield Mutation Concept Art by Ivan Manzella

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  12. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Nick Cage, Tom Cruise...two great actors....NOT...(sorry I'm still pissed about Cruise playing Jack Reacher....UGH

13. felski

felski New Member

We saw it in 3D this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it for what it is: diversionary entertainment. It's got good action, great special effects, pyrotechnics, hot women strutting around in tight clothes or no clothes, and slippery, slurping, gooey, tentacle-ly, head-sucking monsters. What's not to enjoy?

14. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

This was the biggest let down of the year for me. I went to see it and my wife went to Snow White and the Huntsman. I wish I'd gone to see Snow White instead.
    This pretty much covers it (spoilers)

15. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I saw Snow White and the Huntsman, and.. yes, I'd agree it was a better choice.

I did, however, see Prometheus. Twice. I saw it in 2-D on the night of its release, then in 3-D the following week with a friend who insisted on seeing it. It's not terrible. It was a well put-together film, I think.. but lacking in the plot and realism department. I definitely think that Michael Fassbender makes a great android, though.. he did an incredible acting job with that role.

16. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

I'd agree about Fassbender. He definitely makes the most of what he's given.
    I don't think that it was a BAD movie, just a major disappointment. It had a good hour and a half, then it was like the last half hour was a script turned in by Micheal Bay that just read "more 'splosions".