1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Protein Powders

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Feb 25, 2015.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Okay, okay. More of a food-like substance than a food, but as someone prone to skipping meals and getting hangry, I like protein powders, shakes, smoothies, and their ilk.

I'm curious as to what everyone else likes and what they have tried. Part of my reason for starting this thread is because I'm looking for something that can function as a meal replacement on the go, like Vega One (very good but spendy).

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I've tried literally every non-dairy protein powder option I could find. Soy, hemp, pea, and rice give me terrible stomach pains due to gas. Like the terrifying kind that looks like the face hugger is going to erupt. I recently tried beef albumen powder and it wasn't bad. Egg white protein powders are my last attempt, so I'm trying out a few brands to find the best. I was throwing together almond milk, egg white protein powder in chocolate, a few strawberries and half a banana with 1T of coconut oil. Perfect, but a little tummy bouncing, which I think might have been the coconut oil. I'll let you know what brand I settle on. Hubs swears by Intek protein powder blend.

3. snowy

I like and have MLO Super High Protein and the Nature's Way hemp, but I would really like something chocolate.

4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I did not like Vega at all when I tried it.

When I was eating more food that was less solid my go-to was vanilla Slim Fast with whatever fresh or frozen fruit I had handy. This was less to do with the quality itself and more to add nutritional content to the fruit smoothie I was already making. This was a preferred alternative to Ensure, which is entirely awful.

5. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I really like the AdvoCare line of MRS. It has never given my tummy troubles like others have. And their Chocolate and Chocolate Mocha rock my socks. [​IMG]

6. snowy

I'm personally looking for something with lower net carbs, preferably under 10g/serving.

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I've been thinking about MRPs lately because I find it an issue after two hours of intense exercise. I'd rather "calorie up" sooner rather than later. I've been bringing a scoop of protein power in a shaker as well as a banana, but lately I've been thinking about tossing in a quarter cup or so of finely ground raw oats in the shaker. It's the utilitarian in me doing the thinking. It's kind of sludgy, but it's cheap and will get the job done. I should probably consider adding some fat as well.

8. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I depend on whey protein powder while pregnant. Finding brands that are safe for use during pregnancy is usually a bit of a struggle, since many use artificial sweeteners. I'll check my notes and get back to you with more details on the specific products.

9. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

The best, complete, protein is whey protein. I like the ON brand chocolate shake, and I do 2 scoops in about 1.5 cups of cold water and its good to go. I personally do not like diet aftertaste at all but this one is pretty good. Finding a real meal replacement is generally not worth it in a protein shake, especially if you are staying low carb. The way I'd do it is take a d3 sup, a multivitamin, and a whey shake. Occasionally I'll get fancy and make my shake in 2% milk which gives it much more of a meal replacement breakdown.

Plant based proteins generally need a lot of mixing and matching to be a complete one. I can't talk about their taste since I never use them.

If you want to avoid artificial sweeteners all together I've used unflavored whey with fruitjuice and its pretty good.

10. snowy

The MLO Super High Protein powder I use in my morning smoothie has whey (in addition to soy and egg, and I add hemp). So I get my "complete" protein (even though that theory is bs).

I have really liked Vega's stuff and the light chocolate Muscle Milk; mostly I just wanted to know what other people have tried and liked. Something that is mixable with water, doesn't taste like shit, and is low carb is what I'm looking for. Vitamins aren't necessary as I take a multivitamin.

11. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm not a big believer into them, unless you're truly bulking up and need added body mass.
    However, for the most part...a diet reflective of your build and goals should be emphasized instead.
    And they are way too expensive...not a good bang for buck deal.
    It shouldn't be a substitute.

Long ago, I did use MetRx, but this wasn't a protein powder for bulk, but more so for a "redirection" of body energies from fat growth to extra energy through amino acids, etc.
    So I didn't want to bulk up...but more to "get cut" easier while keeping my intake...there's only so much I can adjust my diet, since I'm like a hypoglacemic...or whatever triggers my need for food every 3 hours. (and no, it's not diabetes)
    It did work to a certain extent.
    However, it was cumbersome to drink and work into my eating habit...and again, it was very expensive.

I prefer to have a good combination of diet and exercise. (for THAT person, each person is VERY individual)
    And reflective of your goals.
    Everyone needs to be fairly self-aware, not in denial...and very patient. (if doing it balanced and not radical or competitive level, it's going to take a long time)
    It's better to be a lifestyle habit, than any "magic trick" or shortcuts.

12. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

If I use protein powder, it's brown rice protein added to smoothies. I don't like the side effects of whey or soy, and I have not yet tried egg white protein.

If I just want a snack that is high in protein, I keep a few eggs hard-boiled in my fridge. Fat + protein? Add a cheese stick. Far more filling to me than liquid, and I can add a big glass of water if I need to hydrate at the same time.

13. snowy

Yeah, that's fine for at home, but I frequently find myself needing to eat something in situations where refrigeration is not an option. My schedule is highly variable, and almonds get old after a while. Ideally, I'd like a product I could leave in my gym bag and my work bag.

14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Jay Robb egg white protein powder vanilla this is the one I've been testing out. I actually didn't know anything more about it than it was the only one at whole foods that was just egg and not whey. They sell it in individual serving packets so I was able to try the chocolate and the vanilla and so far, I'm doing okay with it

15. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

16. snowy

Yeah, this is probably what I'll end up picking up. It tastes like cocoa puffs.

17. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

B.S.? Well you learn something new every day, good luck to ya.

18. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Note to Self: Do NOT add egg white protein powder to hot coffee.

Scrambled egg coffee is horrid.

• Like Like x 1
  19. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

/me tries very hard not to giggle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1