1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Protip for those that like trying awesome and/or unique restaurants.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

See if a major metro area near you, or one you may visit, has the PBS show Check, Please! for that area.

It is a show that began ~15 years ago on PBS in Chicago, and has expanded to several other areas.

The premise of the show is that viewers send in recommendations for their favorite restaurant. It doesn't matter what type of restaurant, or what the price range is. The show chooses three different recommendations for each episode. They have the viewers who recommended those three places go to their restaurant, and the two the other viewers chose. The show pays, and they can order whatever they like. It seems that they are encouraged to go all out and try as many things as reasonable. They bring whoever they like (S/O, family, friends, whatever), and the restaurant does not know they are coming.

Then, after all three restaurants have been sampled by all three people, the show notifies the restaurants that they were on their show. They go in, video the restaurant, interview selected staff (usually owners, chefs, etc.), and give you a good idea of what the place is like.

Then, all three viewers sit together on camera at a dinner table and, restaurant by restaurant, they all review each choice. Sometimes they all like the others' choices, sometimes it is split, occasionally/rarely the review is poor. But you typically come away with an honest idea of what to expect, and a fair assessment of the food, service, and ambiance. At the conclusion they will tell you what the restaurants hours are, what to expect to pay, and whether they serve alcohol.

Speaking to the Chicago episodes, the variety of restaurants is incredible. Sometimes it is a breakfast diner, or a Michelin starred world class experience, a truly ethnic experience, a steakhouse, a pizza place, or just a neighborhood lunch counter.

My wife and I have the DVR set to catch the show, and we usually watch every episode. We have been to a ton of places based on recommendations we've seen. Once we even went to a restaurant that had had a future episode filmed, but that hadn't aired yet. The owner (small place) came out and chatted with our table and mentioned how terribly nervous he was to know his restaurant would be on the show, because he was given no idea how the review went, and would only know once it aired.

Anyway, just a thought. I know we have lots of Chicago people, so they can surely benefit if they like.

I believe there are also affiliates in the Pacific NW, Kansas City, Miami, San Francisco, and Phoenix. Maybe more. Check out your local PBS affiliate and see if they carry it. :)

• Like Like x 3