1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #36: Have you done any Christmas shopping yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Nov 25, 2015.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

When do you do the Christmas shopping?
    Do you already have everything?

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

We don't do Christmas. Or any holiday that time of year really. So, I guess by default, I'm done?

• Like Like x 2
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Hahahahahaha, no.

I'll probably go out and do most of my shopping for my in-laws on Friday.

Yes, Friday!

No, I'm not looking for crazy Black Friday deals. I'm shopping for wine! Friday is when everyone has their open houses, so I get to a) avoid the mall, and b) avoid the traffic for Civil War by getting out of town! Win-win. I'll probably buy something for Grandma while I'm out, too. Realistically, that takes care of most of our gift-giving in the family.

• Like Like x 1
  4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Does it count that I've figured out what I'm getting for them?
    My list is mostly limited to my kiddos and it's a major project to figure out what to get them.
    I know now but the actual purchase can't be done because they have to be with me to do it and we haven't arranged that yet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I traditionally wait until last minute to buy stuff. The standing record is 5 am on Christmas morning. :) It actually worked surprisingly well, but not really something I've wanted to repeat. I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to be getting most of the people I buy for, and it's just a matter of ordering most of it online (I love you, Amazon Prime.)

I did buy a sweater for my grandma last weekend, because it was perfect for her: a pug in reindeer antlers holding a string of lights, that says "Bah-hum-pug." She's gonna love it.

It has occurred to me that I'm going to need to get everything bought and wrapped earlier than usual this year. I'll be traveling up to Ohio for the holiday, so I need to get everything for Eden's family ready before then. Some of the stuff for my family, I can't buy until I actually get up there (like gift certificates to a local bakery that doesn't have a big online presence), but I'd at least like to get my parents and brothers squared away before then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I'm about 50% done my Christmas shopping. When I was single I always left it until late but Magpie nags reminds me frequently to get started on it earlier rather than later.

This thread reminded me that I have a package I need to go pick up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

As a family we made a deal that gift giving was for the children only (i.e. I don't do gifts for my siblings, just their children). We are all old enough to buy stuff we actually want when we want, rather than waiting for a particular event. We are actually making a bunch of these this year:

Paracord Bracelet with a Side Release Buckle

We have made some at scouts lately and think they will be a cool present, and only cost at $4 each in materials to make. Have ordered 4 different coloured cords and will go from there.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I suppose I can say that I have started.

I sent a note my kids to remind them to think about what they want to get their mom.

My wife and I have decided that instead of either getting each other anything, or even taking our kids somewhere (we went to India last Christmas and Bali the Christmas before that) we are going to take the money we aren't spending and add it to one of our friends groups who are sponsoring a family of Syrian refugees in Canada.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

nada

then again, I never shop until after my birthday, Dec 2oth
    all the people I give to are local...no shipping needed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. QW is so much better at it than I am, as she is in so many things. She does me the ceremonial honor of letting me nod in approval as she displays the gifts we are giving. This has the twofold effect of a) giving me a feeling of being actually involved; and b) making it so I am not surprised and amazed at how absolutely cool the gifts are when they are opened.

I make a point of showing keen interest in what she buys for me to give to her!:D It's always awesome and she loves me for it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Nothing and will wait till the last minute. I hate Christmas, always have, even as a child.

12. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I've cut down my Christmas buying to wife, daughters, and grandkids. I also took care of most of that during the Labor Day winter sporting goods sale.

Ski pants, jackets, and gloves on grandpa seems to have become the norm for us. Works for me.

My wife is getting a pair of hiking boots. 37 years ago, I bought her a pair of way too expensive Asolo boots. Took her 15+ years to wear them out and I replaced them. This will be her 3rd pair (of the same boot).

Unless something really catches my fancy, I'm done.

13. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I can proudly say that I have done no Christmas shopping. Ever.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Fraeia

Fraeia Getting Tilted

I usually pick things up (or make things) throughout the year, so I'm mostly done already. Sending off a small painting to my aunt/uncle tomorrow, just ordered boots online for my mom, found some awesome scarfs for some of my aunts at the farmers market a couple months ago, in the middle of a large painting for my sister, also have plans for a painting for my cousin's baby's nursery, and I have a collection of random things (coins, minerals, maps) for my dad that I've come across recently. That's pretty much it :)

15. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

My family doesn't really exchange Christmas gifts, and my wife's family is in England & Scotland. I'll most likely start looking for a gift for my wife and my mom, but that' about it. As I've previously posted, we buy what we need and want during the year.

So if you give gifts to Christian friends, they're just gifts?

SNL showed an animated music video about Christmas and being Jewish. I though it was funny, but I'm not sure how other folks might take it. Chances are good most people here have seen it.

16. I have a few things for my Nephew. DaddySquirrel went crazy online shopping and bought tons of shit for the nieces.

It's all here and there.

I never know what to get DaddySquirrel. He just buys what he wants when he wants it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I have done a good job buying gifts for me this year.

I cleaned my sister's basement with my parents last year instead of buying more stuff, I'll have to see if it needs to be done again since she doesn't have time to do it, and has three toddlers that like making messes. I will probably organize my parents photos that they've taken in the past year and make sure their data is backed up. We go through the best photos of 2015 at New Years.

18. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'm the same. If I want it, I probably already have it. I realize that I'm impossible to shop for.

Of course, steak and a BJ are always appropriate.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Yeah. I don't usually give my Christian friends gifts for Christmas. I sometimes give them gifts for Chanukah, and sometimes at New Year's, and sometimes at other times of the year. Usually the only "Christmas gifts" I give are when I give bonus tips to our cleaning lady, landscaping service, water delivery guy, etc.

20. He doesn't like the way I make steak. I don't eat it, so I don't really care.

He does like BJs though. I think I know a gal....