1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #45: What is your least favorite Christmas gift?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Jan 8, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What gift were you truly ungrateful for?

This year someone gave my girls some Easter bunnies. Odd enough. But these stuffed bunnies reek overwhelmingly of dog poop. So very not wanted.

2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

That's pretty awful.

On the one hand, I don't really want Christmas gifts. I keep trying to get people to donate to charity instead. One of these days it's going to catch on, I swear. So I suppose in a sense you could say every gift is an unwanted gift. But the trouble with that is that it sounds horrifically ungrateful and I don't really want to be that way, so I participate in the whole thing even though I'm not terribly comfortable with it. I just feel like I've already had so much good fortune in my life, and it feels... I don't know, greedy? Like, I'd rather see that money being used to help people who truly need it instead of dorky old me with my house and car and middle class lifestyle, y'know?

It's a point of contention.

That said and my hangups aside, I can't think of any truly awful gifts I've been given. This year I got pans and socks and slippers and an emergency kit for my car, so I feel like I made out pretty well. Twelve year old me would be crushed if he knew what he would one day become.

• Like Like x 3
  3. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Many, many years ago, some in-laws got me a huge (HUGE) makeup palette. I didn't wear makeup at the time. They didn't even put the right name on the tag, it was his ex-girlfriend's name. (and it's not like it was a holdover gift...we'd been together for two or three years at that point.)

I can't really think of anything this year that I didn't like. I did get a sweater vest thing that's nice, but doesn't look right on me. I probably won't wear it very often.

• Like Like x 1
  4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Oh, yeah, clothes that aren't my style. Mom got me a cardigan this year. @baraka_guru may rock cardigans but I'm more of a jeans and a t-shirt kind of guy.

V's mom got me a hoodie one year. I do not wear hoodies, and it's far too big for me even if I did. V ended up claiming it because it's warm, so she wears it around the house.

Those aren't really bad gifts, though. The intent was good. Just a little off the mark.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Every. friggin'. year. my mother buys me this giant chocolate mouse. It's X-mas themed, of course.

It's that horrible, cheap, Palmer-esque "milk chocolate" that tastes like factory. Not fit for human consumption.

Every year she buys it and every year I tell her I got it, listen to her sound mom-satisfied and deep six that thing in the trash.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Someone with very good intentions got me a gas card in appreciation of something I did for them. It's for a gas chain that is not on any of my regular travels, so I'd have to drive 15-20 minutes out of my way just to make use of it.

I have a company car and all of my fuel is paid for by my company, even personal miles. I keep forgetting to bring the gas card with me any time I'm on my motorcycle (which obviously my company doesn't pay fuel for), so a year later it's still unused.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I've been married for 36 years now, you'd think my mother in law could spell my last name. 6 letters and 2 syllables is about as easy as Polish last names get. Her gifts are so bad that they are in gag-gift territory. This year it was a motion sensing Santa thingy that sings out of tune Christmas carols. Just what I need when I take a leak at 2am.

• Like Like x 4
  8. I still bitch about a crockpot that I got from a BF once. It wasn't so much the crockpot itself, but the fact that he originally bought it for himself. However, learning that his sister bought him one that was better, he just gifted me his not as good one. We lived with each other at the time too. There was no reason for two crockpots. There was no thought involved whatsoever.

• Like Like x 2
  9. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

this year: chocolate bacon carmel popcorn

I don't remember bad gifts from the past years.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

OMG, tell us more.

11. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Why is it in the bathroom?

At least your being serenaded when you pee.

12. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

nothing worse than a gift that doesn't mean a thing. The giver may as well be saying " didn't really think of you and didn't really want to either."

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Any kind of clothing, with few exceptions.

I have large breasts. Anything with buttons down the front is a no go. I also have narrow shoulders. These two things in concert mean that it's sometimes difficult for me to find fancy, tailored tops.

Thankfully, the person who used to try to buy me these things has stopped, and they now just gift me cash.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Christmas.

• Like Like x 2
  15. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I don't have a problem with people wanting to get me Christmas gifts, it is the thought that counts.
    It's when they get me CHRISTMAS gifts.
    So you give the Jew a bowl shaped like Santa Claus or a singing Christmas Tree?
    Seriously WTF?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I got a makeup kit, which is pretty much useless to me. I don't wear makeup, except for occasionally lipstick. I'll probably give it away or donate it.

Also, a misunderstanding on jeans. I said I would like a pair of brown denim jeans, boys size 14 or 16 that I'd seen at Walmart which fit me perfectly and are even the right length, but ended up with women's 14 khakis, which fit me like a circus tent,:( but fortunately came with the receipt in the box.:)

I got a couple of Underarmor half-zip shirts from a sister. I've never had any underarmor before, and I just love them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The only gift that springs to mind is a shirt from my mom several years back. It was a short sleeved thing made of polyester and emblazoned with a claws unsheathed Wolverine (the comics version). It was match by a similar shirt for my son with Spider-Man on it. We wore them one for the perfunctory photo after unwrapping them. Then, never again.

In what world would either of us wear those shirts?

She thought they were the coolest things ever.

18. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

At least you have a mom whose a comic book fan.

19. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I got some shit this year called poo pourri. Wtf... You are suposto spray it into the toilet bowl before you shit and it is suposto mask the smell of the shit... Now yes it works but it's not the best smelling stuff out there. It makes the whole bathroom smell like some kind of weird cherry

20. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Hahahaha. You obviously didn't get the Man version ;)

• Like Like x 1