1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #52: Have any Valentine's plans?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Feb 14, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What are your plans for the holiday, if any?
    What is your favorite V-day tradition?
    Any especially memorable V-days you'd like to share?

We went out this afternoon. We had no plans, but at the last minute our sister in law asked us to stop by with some bagels and cream cheese. Kinda random, but she's pregnant, her husband was out of town for work, and we take every opportunity to see her. So, we ran to the store, bought stuff, and visited with her and her son for our "date night". It sounds silly, but it was something we very much needed. We loved the time away from our girls, and the company!

Tomorrow Tt wants to make the day special for our girls by getting Littlegirly balloons and maybe a stuffed animal for Tinygirly. He also wants to get something similarly cute for our au pair. He calls her " Teenagegirly" (she is 19) and tries to interact with her the way he plans to treat our girls when they are teens. Her boyfriend recently broke up with her, so we all want her to feel appreciated.

I think it's so super special that he wants to make the day special. This is the first time he has even acknowledged the holiday. I mentioned months ago that I wanted it to be special this year, since Mom passed and it's her birthday. She was always my Valentine.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

We have no plans. We never do anything for vday.b she hates when I buy her flowers. She says it's a waste of money cause they die, and she don't like chocolate. I bought her a card. That's about it. Although I did get up with the dogs this am at 5 and left her in the bed so she could sleep late. That means a lot to her

• Like Like x 1
  3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

We're very traditional about Valentine's Day. We plan to watch some Romans kill an obscure Christian missionary.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

YES. I love you for making this comment and I'm also letting you know I am going to steal it.

I'm going to go to the mountains and watch deadpool with a friend. We don't really celebrate vday.

I did make a comment yesterday that this was the first year I saw Vday advertisments and didn't feel hulk rage towards the holidays. Cinn is rubbing off on me and making me less angry.

• Like Like x 2
  5. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Insert lewd comment.

My sister is visiting this weekend, which is nice. We don't really do valentine's. We did order in some Swiss Chalet last night for dinner, because we didn't feel like cooking and it was too cold to go out, but that was all.

6. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What is Swiss Chalet? Fondue?

7. ralphie250

It sounds expensive

8. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

9. Jager

Jager Vertical

I got two two valentines today - one from Kohl's and one from an ex to her friend sent to me by accident.

10. Our Valentine's tradition is to ignore it. "Hallmark Holiday" has never been anything special to us. We treat each other with massive amounts of affection everyday.

• Like Like x 2
  11. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

And this is how I learned that Swiss Chalet does not exist outside of Canada.

It's a chain restaurant. Their big thing is rotisserie chicken. They also deliver, which is nice because it means we can cuddle up and watch a movie over our chicken dinner.

• Like Like x 3
  12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It's also pretty good and not expensive.

We bought a car, so we are going to go drive her somewhere and argue about what to name her.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ralphie250

What did you buy

• Like Like x 1
  14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I don't like hallmark holidays. Hubs still doesn't quite believe me. I keep telling him, "if you can't show me your love on a Thursday, don't bother on Valentines Day." I'm planning to finish studying, play with a bunch of the stuff I got at the Asian and Indian grocers yesterday and maybe bake something sweet to give away. And I think some lemon-blueberry sorbet and a cocnut-protein powder ice cream for the hubs when he gets back.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I sent goofy valentine cards to some of my friends on faceyspace. It was almost as fun as giving them out in person.

Eden was supposed to go up to Boone to see Deadpool, but decided against it because of the impending snow. My original plan was to make some chili-cheese dip and watch The Princess Bride and Valley Girl and snuggle with the pups. I'll probably still end up doing that.

(Edited to add)

Valentine's Day has, for the most part, always been more about general love for me than strictly romantic love. ZS and I used to do "Anti-Valentine's Day," where we'd have a sleepover and eat junk food and watch horror movies. I think the first time was 7th grade, and I'm pretty sure we continued the tradition every year that we lived in the same state. One of my favorites was the time we got snowed in and the slumber party extended to day 2. That was fun.

Mom and I always send each other valentines. This year, she sent me one with puppies, and I sent her one with a giraffe.

When I worked in restaurants, I'd buy kiddie Valentine cards and some kind of small candy (blow pops or mini candy bars or something) and hand them out. The last year I worked there, I found these super-awesome National Geographic valentines that featured different wild animals with an interesting fact on every one. They were so cool!

So many of my friends are bitter about Valentine's Day. I will admit to finding the whole thing a little overdone at times, and blatantly lovey-dovey stuff tends to make me gag. But it's a holiday, and I love holidays. It is what you make it. And I choose to make it fun and silly. :)

On a related note, how many posts have I seen today along the lines of, "show me you love me everyday!" ? A lot. And I always want to say, "well, why celebrate the 4th of July? Be patriotic everyday! No point in cooking lots of food on Thanksgiving and getting the family together if you don't already do it every week to start with!" I mean, yeah, it's silly. But I revel in silly. And I'm such a dork for holidays.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

My wife's birthday is at the end of the month, mine is two weeks later, followed by our anniversary two weeks after that. The last thing I need is to add another one and extend the chaos.

Bah humbug.

17. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Aaand I totally didn't notice that before I posted or sent you a valentine, lol. Sorry :oops:

18. Cinn, the holidays you cite have historical significance, while V day is a pure money grab. St Valentine did nothing to promote or enhance romantic relationships. You are free to celebrate any day, in any way you wish, though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. omega

omega Very Tilted

Well we already saw deadpool this morning, so that was something. And of course a new walking dead tonight. That's all she has been talking about the past couple weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

No, although I plan to cook some steaks later.....which at our house doesn't happen very often.

Sort of VD :))) related. One of the TV channels is showing a Lethal Weapon marathon. In one scene Mel Gibson's character is trying desperately to get a woman to go out on a date with him. He says, "Hey, you could be original and say yes; everyone else says no."

• Like Like x 2