1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #60: Do you have a Passport?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a passport?
    How often do you use it?
    Do you have any stories to share about passports?

Here's a few tips about keeping your passport renewed: When to Renew Your Expiring Passport - Condé Nast Traveler

While I was visiting Copenhagen a few years back, my purse was stolen on the Metro on the way to the airport. My passport, wallet, and all my identifying information were lost. I went to the airport anyway and informed the people at check-in about the theft. They scheduled me on a flight for the next day, no charge, no hassle. I then went to the police and reported the theft. There was quite a bit of paperwork involved. With police report in-hand I went to the embassy (with my husband) and set out to prove who I was. After hours of interrogation, and a few phone calls, I was issued an emergency passport. The man at the desk joked that this was the cheapest way to renew an expiring passport. Yeah, sure... cheapest... It was definitely an experience that I don't plan on duplicating!

2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Do you have a passport? yes

How often do you use it? As often as we can. Two trips to Canada last year, off to Italy this year.

Do you have any stories to share about passports? Ages and ages ago, I took my 5 and 6 yr old daughters to Canada with birth certificates. No problem geting into Canada; but leaving was awful. How do you prove your kids are yours? We spent a couple of hours at the Calgary Airport playing 250 questions. I finally dug out my old boarding passes. "I can't prove that they are mine; but I can prove that I brought them with me" seemed to work. They got their own passports a month later.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

No, I don't. Never had a reason to have one

• Like Like x 1
  4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

We now live a few hours from Canada, and we used to live just outside Buffalo where you could go out for dinner with friends in Ontario on any given night.
    When we lived in Buffalo you didn't need a passport but having one made the crossings easier. I used to work with some Canadian citizens who became good friends. We would go for dinner in Fort Erie Ontario and be crossing back in a car with NY plates and a mix of US and Canadian citizens. The passport smoothed things.
    Now you must have one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Mine expired in 2010. I went to several places in Sweden and Denmark when I graduated from grad school the first time to visit friends. I'm going to get it renewed so when we move, we can cross that big northern border. I also need to get it so I can do the TSA Global access and precheck stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Getting a new one...

Next mission is Europe.
    Want to practice my lingo.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I need to renew mine, since I got my first passport in January 2006.

The thing is that I had one of the last of the passports without RFID chips in them, and now I'm not sure if I will get the latest version that has a polycarbonate coating on it and laser etched pages.

For someone who had never left the country prior to 2006 (besides Southern Ontario in Canada), I did do a lot of travelling with my passport in the last 10 years. Maybe not as much as I would have liked, and not as much as I will do if Cruz wins the presidency, but way more than I expected.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I have had one since I was kid and travelled to France on a school trip. I didn't get to use it much between then and my next trip abroad (10 to 15 years later). These days, a passport is essential. As someone who lives abroad, it's one of my main forms of ID (the other is my work pass). I use my passport all the time. Singapore is a tiny country and domestic travel means driving 30 minutes or so to cross the island. Any other travel is international... even going to the neighbouring island of Batam, Indonesia to do some mountain biking, or across the causeway to Malaysia for lunch.

My current passport doesn't expire for a couple of years, but I am likely to run out of pages before it expires.

• Like Like x 1
  9. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Yep. It is essential when you work for a company that only has offices in countries other than the one I'm in :)
    Not used that regularly, but have been to Europe, North America and Asia (as well as Oz).

No funny passport stories.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Yeah, I have one, not that I've gotten to use it much lately. Not since Mrs. Levite and I took an Alaskan cruise that docked in Vancouver and I think one other Canadian port, and that was back in like 2011. Doubt we'll be travelling internationally much in the foreseeable future (until the kids get bigger), unless Trump wins and we move to Canada....

• Like Like x 1
  11. It's a necessity for me now since DaddySquirrel is Japanese. We went to Japan last April to visit his family and plan to possibly go again next year, but definitely in 2019. The Rugby World Cup will be held in Japan in 2019 with some of the matches being held in the city where he grew up. Some friends of mine might actually join us.

ToddlerSquirrel's little passport is sooooo cute. Getting her to hold still for the picture was difficult though. We'll have to renew hers in 5 years, but we should be good until 2020 at least.

• Like Like x 2
  12. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

The photos on kids passports is kinda useless - they grow so quickly as to be hardly recognisable, especially for baby/toddlers.

• Like Like x 2
  13. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

I have a passport. No stamps, though, so it looks like I haven't been anywhere. We took a cruise to Ensenada a few years ago, but they didn't stamp it when we left the ship. Since the passport was required, I had been looking forward to getting a stamp. My visits to Canada were all before the passport requirements, but I doubt I could get one driving across the border. (Maybe if I flew in? I want a danged stamp!)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Yes, but it expired in '02. I used it for two trips to the UK.

While I would like to be a world traveler, that would require a sizable jump disposable income and/or a job involving international travel. I don't see either happening any time soon.

15. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I sure do. Have had once since around 8. Traveled extensively as a child, and used it to go to St. Kitts and Dominican Republic in the last year or so.

Looking forward to my next travel adventure!

16. I forgot to say that I have a bar passport too. Stamp for every beer you drank at this pub near where I lived in Ohio. (Also sponsors of my rugby team)

I got all the stanos for the beers listed except the one you can only get in KY. I could never make it down there for the bourbon ale....so sad.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I have a passport with a prominent X-out stamp from when we were detained and deported from Liverpool, England. It is a long, thirsty, hilarious story and I tell it well... when properly lubricated. I've had to repeat the tale, soberly, when crossing in and out of Canada since then. It's a pain in the ass at those times.

I'd love to make more use of my passport. Alas, life keeps getting in the way.

• Like Like x 2
  18. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Nope same as @ralphie 250 no need for one. However it was on the local news that in order to just fly out of Oklahoma that we will need a passport as early as 2017. Something to do with our DLs not having enough personal info on them. Probably another thing my loser Gov Fallen screwed up. Put it on the growing list with the other fuck ups

• Like Like x 1
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Two. You can request to have duplicate tourist passports if you travel a lot.

I've filled up a regular one. Haven't maxed out the "extra pages" version yet.

Just same common sense tips:

Always carry your passport on your person, preferably in a garment that cannot be pickpocketed.

Always carry your passport (and credit cards) in a RFID case to prevent the chip from being lounge scanned.

Keep a photocopy of your passport's photo page in your luggage and scanned to your password protected phone / tablet.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I've scanned mine and my wife's, then sent them to myself as email. Nothing to lose and accessible anywhere.