1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #65: How do you deal with rejection?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by genuinemommy, Mar 16, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

How do you deal with rejection?
    Relate one experience where you had to deal with rejection, and how you worked through it.
    Were you pleased or frustrated overall with the experience?
    Has time changed you perspective on the matter?

--------------------------------
    I remember once in college I was rejected for a show choir group that I was desperately interested in being a part of. I saw it as a hugely important thing to make that cut, and when I didn't make it, I was shaking and confused. The way I dealt with the rejection is that I went and visited with a friend immediately when I heard the news. He told me that I shouldn't waste my time with people who don't see my potential. His words changed my outlook on life. I still struggle with feelings of inferiority sometimes when rejection hits, but his words always come back to me. I am stronger because of rejection. I have learned to roll with it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I don't get rejected. I don't take risks and put myself in the position to be rejected in the first place, which probably isn't the best policy, but it isn't the worst either.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I usually tell people who don't take chances that they are basically rejecting themselves and saying "no" without giving anyone else a chance to say "yes".

I've been meaning to reply but am having a hard time coming up with an interesting story about rejection. I've obviously been rejected over certain things, but nothing life altering that I can think of.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Same, nothing terribly interesting.

I'm male, I've asked one hell of a lot of women out that weren't interested. Obviously, I found one that was. I've also applied for one hell of a lot of jobs that I didn't get, yet I'm employed. Just suck it up, perhaps learn something, and move on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I don't deal with it very well, normally the only time I ever get rejected is for sex, and that's 99% of the time. when I get rejected I tend to eat. that's how I deal with it and its wrong and I know it but that's how I deal with it. that and masturbation.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Rejection is just part of the process.

You need to put yourself out there (whatever that means to you) and part of putting yourself out there is the chance of rejection. Play things too safe and you will stagnate.

This can apply to dating. It can apply to your career. Anything.

I get rejected from time to time. I still sting over not getting cast in a role in University. I sting over a job I didn't get (though it turned out better that I didn't take the job).

Dealing with rejection is a matter of rolling with it. It's also a matter of not letting that thing be everything. Rejection in the face of desperation is disaster.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I won't say that I deal with it well...I do feel the pain. I even briefly beat myself up.
    But I don't let it stop me.
    And I get back up that horse fairly quick.

The thing you have to realize is that they aren't the ONLY ones out there.
    You try again & again...until you find a fit.

Doesn't matter what it is...dates, jobs, school, projects, etc...

Also you have to realize it often isn't "you"
    It could be bias, whimsy, mood, etc...
    Clothes, comments, bad timing, a raised eyebrow, etc...

Hell, I've even been rejected for being 100% correct...and the other person refused to believe it...it upset their own bias and worldview.
    This was an interview, BTW....and I had just did the actual method the week before.
    I described it in detail.
    But their tech didn't know how to do it without a certain tool...so he said it was "impossible".
    He got agitated...and the non-techs there noted that...I lost the momentum with them there.
    He was the "known" evil, I was the unknown.

In dates, I've been rejected for everything they "say" they want...
    Too nice, too much communication, too rich, too much this, too that, too smart, too tall, too big, too passionate, too giving, too romantic. (there are others that think they don't deserve you...then dump you)
    Hair, no hair, teeth, smell, not smelly enough, too clean, not clean enough,
    For helping them out, for helping their family, for being with my family, for being nice with their kids...

Yes, I actually had one woman I dated for a month and was intimate with often...and she finally let me meet her kid on a holiday
    and she freaked because I played with the kid for 30 minutes...all of a sudden the next morning she was acting like I was a stalker. (not that she told me ANYTHING all night I stayed over)
    I've had ones dump me because their psychologist-wannabe friend told them they shouldn't be around men
    (her kids liked me, her mom liked me, she liked me and then some...didn't stop her from going to the concert I took her to she dumped me before either)

Get a class fail...take it over.
    Get a project dumped...do it somewhere else.

My cuz...he got rejected by ONE company...he hasn't tried again in 5 years.
    My friends wonder how I keep getting these management or lead jobs...because I try for them, I ask only "Is it doable?"
    I don't FEAR rejection.

In the end, you move on
    You try again.
    Repeat.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Don't have much experience with rejection. Married my high school sweetheart, that lasted 25 years. Few years after that I accidentally, by that I mean I wasn't looking for a LTR, I met my current better (way better) half.

Work wise I rarely applied for positions. Joined the military at 20. When I got out a friend offered me a job in law enforcement. Over the years I had different positions but always because they were offered to me. Hard to be rejected if you do not apply.

Maybe fear of rejection kept me from applying? Don't know. Know I never had any interest in management. Never thought there was enough money involved in it to listen to petty complaints and deal with the odd worthless employee.
    I did accept a position once as an investigator for the county DA. He and I were target shooting buddies. One day he just offered me the job. I thought it sounded interesting and it was a healthy raise. Within months, maybe weeks it was clear to me I was way over my head. I felt in time I could have acquired the skills. Problems was we had some major cases on the table at the time and I didn't have time to learn on the job. Nor did I have a mentor, small county life. Within six months I was happily back at my original position.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Move on. Why waste the time and energy being upset. Their loss. Ok I kinda want to kick them in the shins.

• Like Like x 4
  10. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

My advice?

Aim higher; it gets your point across better.

;)

• Like Like x 3
  11. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

I like to curl up in the fetal position alone in my room for hours on end. Possibly watch some My Little Pony.

But seriously, I tend to try and rationalize the interaction and figure out all the angles and why everything happened... Ideally, at least. If it turns out I feel like I made a particularly big ass of myself somehow by drastically misjudging the situation or something (I am kind of a social retard at times), I just try to forget it or surround the memory with mental scar tissue and move on. Or I lose myself in some all-consuming distraction until the memory just fades. So yeah, I realize maybe repression and/or escapism aren't the best answers, but I guess I work with the tools I've got, ya know?

• Like Like x 1
  12. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Sending out my writing to publishers has given me a pretty tough skin and the ability to just dig in when I'm rejected to work harder.
    Still, it's hard when you get back manuscripts with coffee rings on them or form letters that prove they haven't even been looked at.
    The times when I was rejected for dates or in relationships I just moved on as well.
    I get that I'm not the easiest person in the world to hang out with so no harm no foul.