1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe QOTD #73: What's your favorite thing to cook?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by genuinemommy, Apr 25, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

So what's your favorite thing to cook. For yourself, for others - every day or special occasions? Simple or complex.
    What is it? And why?

My daughter's favorite thing to cook is popcorn. She loves listening to the "pop, pop, pop". She also loves pressing the buttons on the microwave herself to make it work. And she loves watching it pop in our big pot with a glass lid. She hasn't cooked it over a campfire yet, but I'm pretty sure she'll love that one as well.

I like cooking... hmmm... a souffle. That's really more baking but it's substantial as a meal. One of my favorite things is also incredibly finnicky. There's such an incredible sense of pride as it turns out ok. I like making a bunch of mini souffles for people when we have guests. Watching the egg whites turn into stiff peaks, choosing how to season the yolks, figuring out if the oven is really hot enough to get it right... making sure no one goes near the oven while it's baking... yep. I love souffles.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

How broad is your definition of "cook"? If it is a broad definition, my favorite thing would likely be a good bone-in ribeye on the grill. Or smoking an entire brisket with some baked beans in a cast iron pot on the Big Green Egg.

If it is a bit narrower, to traditional cooking using a stove/oven, it is probably my chili recipe.

3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to go really broad here and include all food prep.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I have favorite things to eat or drink, cooking is just a means to that end. I like cooking well enough, but eating is the objective.

I make a margarita mix from fresh fruit that's a pain in the ass and totally worth it. My smoked cherry chipotle flank steak isn't too shabby, either.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mandy

mandy Vertical

I absolutely LOVE to cook!!! So much so that I actually started a small business called Homemade Meals by Mandy :) My favorite thing currently is.... a mushroom pasta in a creamy garlic, lemon butter sauce!! Nom nom nom :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I actually like the time of year we are heading into now - the colder months. It means more slow cooked stews and casseroles. Lamb and Beef based dishes are my favourite to eat at this time of year - yum!

I (probably too occasionally) make home made pasta - tastes so much better than the dried stuff and is actually really simple to make (but time consuming).

My kids love lasagne and pizza so they get cooked a fair bit at our place (with pizza bases from scratch, not store bought ones).

Too many things to list everything :)

7. I don't really enjoy cooking, but for some reason I love baking. It's been awhile since I made a cheesecake. I should get on that again. The ones in my recipe box are really heavy and fatty. They're so gooood.

8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I really enjoy cooking and having people over for dinner to cook for them.

There are many things that I enjoy making, some are complicated and others are quite simple.

I make a braised pork belly that is served with a seared scallop and a reduction of the braising liquid. I also make a simple goat's cheese that uses two ingredients (goat's milk and lemon juice). Currently, I am really happy with a plate of perfectly creamy scrambled eggs.

9. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

of late...
    for myself - chicken quesadillas
    for guests - pan-seared pork chops (boneless thick)

for work potlucks - chili or guac

but those are just my goto no brainers...I've got tons of options and I like to cook

10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

To narrow it down...

Meat (spaghetti) sauce. Prep time is about 30 minutes, cook time three hours. We have it with spaghetti or any pasta, use it in eggplant Parmesan, and I put it on bread slices for a quick lunch or dinner.

Onions & bell peppers (the more colors the more appetizing) sauteed in olive oil (cut with a little canola oil) flavored with garlic and Italian seasoning. This makes a good main dish, with meat or vegetarian, usually with pasta. It can also be a side dish, and works for sandwiches using sturdy bread.

11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I love cooking. I made an amazing roast chicken this last weekend, so that's going in the recipe box.

My favorite thing to make is probably mac and cheese from scratch. So good.