1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #94: What is beauty? Do looks matter? (SFW)

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by genuinemommy, Oct 27, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What do you consider beautiful?
    How do you gauge a person's beauty?
    Do you have any experiences where you saw a person's beauty only after getting to know them?
    What attributes do you tend to find attractive?
    Are there any things that are specifically ugly to you?
    Describe your "type", if you have one.
    Do looks matter to you?
    Is your perception of someone determined by your interactions with other people who were similar in some way?
    Feel free to include photos.

While this is in tilted sexuality, let's keep this thread safe for work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I consider kindness beautiful. But that's often not seen right away.
    I like strong hands on a man with a shy smile.
    I tend to find tall, slender men attractive, with decent muscle tone. I am often attracted to men with light brown or blonde hair.
    Here's an example.

[​IMG]

Though I find this man equally attractive. Probably because my husband's hair looks like this when it grows long.
    [​IMG]

I was motivated to start this thread because of a photo that a friend posted on facebook. I was struck by the beauty of this person, and then realized there were things about them that I generally am not attracted to. It was an enigma for me. But then I remembered a really sweet girl that I knew in high school who had similar body art, and I realized that the memory of this person's kindness is what allowed me to see this person's beauty as well.
    [​IMG]

A friend turned down a good job offer simply because the man that would be her direct supervisor had a beard. She cited that she is intimidated by bearded men, and she didn't want to deal with that fear in the workplace on a daily basis. It was triggering for some legitimate traumatic event in her past.
    [​IMG]
    She chose a job instead where her direct supervisor was a bold woman with a strong personality.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, I've never really considered myself to have a "type" for physical beauty. There are a few things that I would say I prefer, but none of them alone make someone physically beautiful, and the absence of any/all of them don't rule someone out.

While I typically like longer, darker hair, and someone with curves/shape, beauty is such a complex thing that I don't think for me it can be defined easily.

It's more about how they carry themselves than the physical attributes themselves.

Do you have any experiences where you saw a person's beauty only after getting to know them?

Yes, and I'd say the opposite has been true too. Someone with good physical looks can end up with the opposite perception if their attitude and/or personality is poor.

I'm not sure why, but I've always liked long hair, like middle of the back or a touch longer. Not sure why even.

Hmm, nothing mainstream comes to mind as far as automatically making someone physically ugly. People who are drastically (to the point of being unhealthy) over/under weight aren't physically attractive to me. I'm not a huge fan of facial piercings or extreme body modifications, etc. But most of the things that I'd say automatically check the "ugly" box would be considered extreme.

Don't think I have one, specifically. Having been married as long as I have been, I'm perfectly happy with the partner I have, especially when she's taking care of herself. So I guess that would qualify, eh?

Do looks matter to you?

Yes, but it isn't the most important thing.

Is your perception of someone determined by your interactions with other people who were similar in some way?

I don't think so. I can't say that I've thought "oh, they look like X, so they must be good/bad/pretty/ugly".

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

4. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

As far as looks only I have found women to be more forgiving than men.
    When I get bonded to a woman she becomes the most beautiful she could be.
    Thin or not doesn't matter, confidence is key.
    Hair colour and length doesn't matter.
    Age does. Always preferred a woman my age or older. Not at anytime younger unless it was only a couple of days
    Breasts matter to me. I feel bad for women that will need back surgery. Proportional is perfect.
    And as long as I'm concerned facial features just need to work together. Mrs Streisand comes to mind.
    Teeth are the #1 reason I would or wouldn't ask for a date.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Beauty will certainly get my attention; but intellect and attitude will keep it.

My type are athletic, outdoorsy women that want to get naked with me. That's pretty small group, as is.
    For me, athletic doesn't mean size 0. It means more comfortable in ski boots or hiking boots than heels. It means that taking a leak in the woods isn't a show stopper. It means that when faced with a choice of doing something or watching something, she'll always pick doing.

• Like Like x 3
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• What do you consider beautiful?
      It is relative for me, just what clicks.
      -
    • How do you gauge a person's beauty?
      A variety of things, likely most consistently the eyes.
      -
    • Do you have any experiences where you saw a person's beauty only after getting to know them?
      No, but I've fallen for some before I've seen them. And I've found myself not attracted to some if I've found they have a bad personality or history.
      And I've increased my attraction in how they acted towards me.
      -
    • What attributes do you tend to find attractive?
      As I said above, it's very inconsistent...mostly the eyes
      -
    • Are there any things that are specifically ugly to you?
      I rarely like really skinny.
      -
    • Describe your "type", if you have one.
      In real life, no specific "type" at all, I've fallen for ALL types.
      But in media, I tend to voluptuous, dark hair...curvy Mediterranean. However, even this is inconsistent and not significant. There's no rule, only what hits me.
      -
    • Do looks matter to you?
      Yes, to a certain extent. But personality and energy means more.
      -
    • Is your perception of someone determined by your interactions with other people who were similar in some way?
      Not at all. I take everyone on an individual basis.
    I think I'm more emphatic, where I feed into an energy a person has...and their own interest in me.
    While I'm attracted to beautiful women, in the end, it's no pattern...only my mood at the time.
    Tall, short, thinner, curvier, hair, eyes, legs, breast, skin, etc...all of it counts and it doesn't.
    I note it, but it's only of the whole...including who they are.

And their actions can affect how I like them. Better or Worse...and it can change.

• Like Like x 1
  7. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I find something intriguing about this idea. Does our partner inform our preferences? I always assumed it was the other way around.

I never really thought much about it, but when I look back at my dating history it's very apparent that I have a "type" and that it is short brunettes. So that's a thing really. I never sought those women out specifically but they make up the majority of my past relationships, as well as describing my present partner. Or maybe it's that short brunette girls have a preference for me? Who knows?

I think it would be silly to pretend like looks don't matter in the context of a relationship. Of course they do. Outside of that context things get more debatable but being romantically intimate with someone you're not physically attracted to sounds like a bad scene.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Before we were married we went canoe camping in a wilderness area of Ontario.
    No bathrooms or outhouses.
    When my wife dug a cat hole and used it with nary a complaint I knew I was hooked!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Thin girls. At least that is the one common trait.

My brain can determine it very fast.

No

Blue eyes

Obesity

Thin, athletic women.

Yes. Quite a bit.

I don't think so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

Like theory, I find symmetry attractive but not necessarily beautiful, and the same goes for textures and some odors. I find smooth hair beautiful, but funky hair fun and attractive. I like shiny hair as opposed to dreads but I also like dreads. I like clean straight teeth, but a lil crookedness will have me wondering. Its all relative to the rest of the package. I think it is often color and size and contrast that I find beautiful.
    Im not sure what you mean. I guess I almost feel it.
    Yes.
    Height, teeth, skin. I also tend to like a squarish man.
    Lesions, downy teeth.
    Anthony Bourdain, Amal Clooney.
    Do looks matter to you?
    Yes.
    Probably. Anthony Bourdain = Daddy.

11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

That tends to vary from situation to situation.
    When it comes to the strictly superficial looks, I tend to be attracted to weird little things, a quirky smile, the ways their hips move, muscles in the calves, the way their hair falls over their breasts.
    So just about any woman (and some men) can turn me on if the right button is pushed, I just don't always know what the button is going to be.

Grace, style, character, strength, and class (which can be low but if it's done with style that works too).

To a certain degree but I'd say I have had more experiences where I've found a person who I thought was hot turn out to be ugly after I got to know them.

Honesty, courage, talent, a sense of humor, a willingness to laugh at yourself, flexibility, an open mind, smart, kindness, snark, and eccentricity.

Greed, punching down, rudeness for the sake of it, willful ignorance, racism, and being smelly.

Geeky, funny, smart, snarky, interested in the world, independent, strong, sub, That's a tough combo to fill I know

Do looks matter to you?
    Not particularly.

I try to make my own mind up about people but have been known to see how people I trust react to someone I am unsure of.

[​IMG]

Red hair and glasses, computer, stockings, and a resting bitch face, yep that works.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

A followup on my previous post...and for today.
    A comment on the beauty I find in myself...as well as others.

It's about attitude.
    And having energy.

If I feel the energy, I feel good about myself...I feel more attractive
    and I feel more attracted to others.

If I feel dull or not lively...then I just want to curl up into myself and I'm not really paying attention to others.

It's amazing how much this makes a difference.
    BOTH enjoying your own beauty, as well as others.

I although, I will admit...a nice ass...or a nice smile...will perk me up.
    So I guess it feeds into itself.
    Either way.

So get that good energy up.
    And feel good about yourself.
    And don't shy away from enjoying the beauty.

It's a part of being human.
    The hunger, the attraction.
    Let the energy embrace you. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

@genuinemommy, I am not clueless to the fact that you posted a photo of a supermodel young and strong to start this thread. However my Sandy is 16 yrs older than me and sexy as a woman can be. At 69 she has the look of sexuality of pics that @Snowy has posted. Sandy texts and talks to me that makes my appetite grow and keeps her man above her. When were together it's always me. Sandy is and and I told her " a full service woman. " Good Looks? Seriously? That woman makes my dick hard because she gives everything to me. She will argue and hold her political position or anything that she is adamant about. ...after that. ....that woman is mine. And I take her. Good looks and sexual turn ons? Submiss yourselfs to each other.

• Like Like x 1