1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #11: Have you ever held an infant?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Sep 23, 2015.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Have you ever held an infant?

This one came up the other day with friend and I'm curious how it goes for others. I grew up around lots of babies and kids, so it struck me as abnormal when I handed my baby off to a friend (age 35+) and she said that this was the very first baby she had ever held. I figured it was abnormal enough that I wouldn't come across that again. But, then again twice in the past few months I've encountered others with this same experience. Men and women.

So, I ask here. Other than a token picture that your parents took of you holding a sibling when you were tiny, have you ever held a baby? What is the youngest baby you have held? What was the experience like for you?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i have, i held my daughter. she was about 10 minutes old when i held her for the first time. it was very emotional for me. up until that point i had never held an infant. all i remember is my wife telling me to support her head. now that shes 7 i wish she was still that small. man time flies.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

The first time I remember now was probably one of my nieces or nephews in my early 20's. I strongly suspect the first time was when I was in the elementary school age range.
    The most memorable would be holding my daughters when they were newborns.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I've held quite a few infants for a few minutes at a time. I had two younger siblings, so I remember holding them (especially my brother, who is 8.5 years younger) quite a bit. A couple friends have asked us/me to be there for their babies at child birth, so I've held a few babies minutes after they were born, though obviously only for a short while.

In all honesty though, the time I enjoy interacting with kids the most is around 2.5-3yrs old and older. It is hilarious to ask them questions about what they think of things, about likes and dislikes, or about people they know once they are old enough to communicate more clearly. Often my friends remark about how well I seem to understand toddlers when they first start talking. I usually reply "Because most adults other than their parents don't really take the time to listen to them and talk to them. If you talk to a specific kid often enough, you pick up on how they speak and can understand them more easily."

• Like Like x 2
  5. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I was a teenager when my three younger brothers were born, and I held them all within hours of their birth (held the oldest of the four, too, but I was only three at the time.) Other than that, I've held...a whole lot of babies. Cousins, cousins' kids, friends' kids, teachers' kids. Seems like there were always babies & small children around.

I think the two youngest were my friend J's kid (visited the day he was born), and BabySquirrel, who I got to visit when she was only three weeks old :)

Edited to add: I love the way babies smell. And I'm always slightly worried that I'll break them, even though I've had enough practice to know how to not break them.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. omega

omega Very Tilted

Yes. Aside from random family babies, I of course have held my own twin daughters.

7. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Yep - have 2 boys. You can pick the newbie baby carriers - they stand like they are holding a priceless vase and are *so* scared of dropping it. There is a certain terrified look they get :)

We have a friend who is a midwife and it is somewhat eye opening how comfortable she is with babies (obviously handles a lot!)

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Many. I have no idea how many. I lost count a long time ago.

One of the greatest privileges of my life was getting to hold one of my future charges when he was just a couple of hours old.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My youngest daughter does not even talk at age 7 and says more with her gestures and adapted ASL (word s like 'more' and 'please') than most of us do verbally.

• Like Like x 1
  10. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Caught both of mine coming outa the womb.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I don't have any kids, but I have nieces and nephews that I held as infants, but not as newborns.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Yep, tons.
    I grew up with my mom being a nurse in L&D and her teaching childbirth prep classes...and worked 2 yrs as a tech in an L&D hospital.
    While that is mostly the "before" stage...there are still more than enough babies around. (including preemies and sadly demises)
    Then there are the variety of times with family & friends.
    Love kids, ironic that I haven't been able to have my own. (yet, maybe)

• Like Like x 1
  13. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I was in my 30's when I held my nephews for some pictures. But that is it.

(I've actually said "I don't want to hold your baby" to my friends when I was in college. I can't explain why, but then again I don't really regret it either.)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaaMmi4mX2I

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Yes. My two sisters married young & had kids right away. As a young teenager I could hold 'em, feed 'em, burp 'em, get 'em to sleep, & even change diapers if need be. I confess that I usually handed the baby back to mon at that point.

I babysit-ted (babysitted? babysat?) for one sister, thankfully my nephew was out of diapers by then. I used to make lunches using boxed mac-n-cheese with cut-up lunch meat mixed in, and noodles mixed with cream of mushroom soup & chopped-up lunch meat. Yummy, right? Recently my nephew told me that he still eats mac-n-cheese with chopped-up lunch meat.

15. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I have no siblings, or any cousins close to my own age (barely any cousins at all, actually). I never held a baby until I was in rabbinical school, and one of my classmates had a kid. I must've been like 35 or 36. I was terrified I would fumble the kid. Terrified I would scare the kid. Just plain terrified.

Turns out babies like me.

Now, having two little kids of my own, I see a friend with a crying baby, I'm like, "OK, hand 'im over. I got this."

• Like Like x 2
  16. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Both my daughters and many others when I helped run a daycare.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Before BabySquirrel, I held many, many babies.

Nieces
    Baby Cousins
    Friend's babies
    Babysat babies.

I looooove babies. I haven't held a teeny tiny one since I held my friend's, now 8 month old, a few months ago. I'm jonesin for some baby snuggles. ;-)

(I know what you're thinking, but DaddySquirrel says no.)
    --- merged: Sep 24, 2015 at 7:16 PM ---
    Thinking about it though, BabySquirrel was the first baby holding experience for a few of my friends too.......

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I've loved holding, feeding, changing, cuddling, soothing... babies since I can ever remember. My extended family is legion and I could never recount the number of babies I've held, including my own 3 children and 2 grandchildren and my children's friends' babies.

In February, when my grandson was born, my daughter and her boyfriend visited the hospital. At 30 years old, the boyfriend had never held a baby. No one among his family and friends had ever had an infant (!). He was terrified to even approach the child... would not come within arms length. When offered the opportunity to hold the little one, he ran the other way! He is truly baby-phobic. I have never seen anything like it in my life.

19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I've held my two, and quite a few friend's babies.

The youngest I've held would have been seconds old. My son was in my arms less than 60 seconds from birth. My daughter was less than 90 seconds.

Holding your own kids is special, I want to say magical but that isn't quite right. My friends just had a baby a couple weeks ago and I held their baby a couple days after it was born. If nothing else it reminded me of what it was like to hold my kids when they were that small. It's easy to forget how small they are when they are as big as mine are.

20. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

My daughter, of course, a whole lot. Probably some others, but I don't recall now.

• Like Like x 1