1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Rakkatakka, motherfuckers!

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Redlemon, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Yeah, that's the sound of the new Van Canto album. I haven't plugged them on TFP5 yet, so here we go!

Van Canto is a metal band with no guitars, no bass, and no keyboards. They have a drummer, though. Everyone else (four men, one woman) sings. "Rakkatakka" is the word they often use to represent rhythm guitar. They might sound like a novelty act, but they are for real. Here's a track off their latest album:

And, if you want to hear them do a cover as well as see what they look like, here's "Battery" by Metallica (it kicks in at the 1:08 mark) :

--- merged: Sep 29, 2011 4:30 PM ---
    Quick addition: after I posted, they released their first video for the new album, with a guest singer (Joakim Brodén of Sabaton).

Hearing this, I feel like the guy in the old Maxell ad:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Holy shit, I'm loving their songs.

They German? Italian?

3. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

German, although all but one song of theirs is sung in English. They have four albums out so far. I found them about two years ago, I can't stop listening to them.

[​IMG]

And their drummer has a side band, In Legend, which also has no guitar; he plays a grand piano and is the lead singer.

4. Remixer

That's one versatile drummer.

The band name Van Canto sounded Italian but in the second youtube video of yours, there were some notifications at the beginning in German.

5. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

From the FAQ: " ‘Canto’ descends from the latin verb ‘cantare’ and has the meaning ‘I sing’. Furthermore, in many languages it stands for ’singing’. ‘Van’ just completes the name and has no special meaning."

6. Remixer

Nice description on the "Van" part. Hahahahhaa

7. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

That was rather interesting! (I have to share this with some other people who might enjoy this.)- Thanks for posting! :)

8. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Its beat boxing for the metal world!

9. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Actually, the only thing missing is a vocal percussionist. That's also in the FAQ:

"Why do you use drums, an a-capella-band usually doesn’t have a drummer?"​
    "Well, we tried some guys imitating a double-bassdrum only with their voices, but they all collapsed after 2 minutes of “Lifetime”."​

10. Fly

Fly music is the answer

yup.......been liking these guys......very cool what they do.

thanks Red

11. Holy crap, not a huge metal fan but very impressed. Know a few guys that I will share this with.

12. Alistair Eurotrash

I just don't "get" metal :(

13. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Skip the sad face, that's why there are so many genres of music. For instance, I see the acoustic guitar in your avatar. I don't get skilled, delicate guitar work.

14. Alistair Eurotrash

Absolutely. Nothing wrong with it, and there are some highly skilled musicians playing metal. I just don't appreciate it. I did listen, and tried. I feel the same about some jazz, too.

These guys are doing some good things, and obviously many will love it..

15. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

very cool.