1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Remodeling

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuburbanZombie, May 19, 2012.

1. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

We really need to have the bathroom redone. Not just a new coat of paint, but rip everything out and replace it. I already know which contractor I'm using. We've used him for some smallish jobs already and he has done great work. We have the money budgeted plus figured extra for unseen complications. It being a bathroom, I'd be amazed if there were no unseen problems.
    I know we could probably save a lot of money doing most of it ourselves, but me and power tools are not a good combo. I'm rather fond my appendages.

Anyone ever done a major remodel?
    Any words of wisdom or tips?
    Horror stories?

2. Just finished a bathroom renovation. Nothing was kept except the door. Bathroom's aren't cheap. Put a shower shelf insert in similar to what's pictured below. Really happy with it.

[​IMG]

Also a Gerber Ultra Flush toilet for those big boy jobs. Very happy with it also.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

SuburbanZombie, I haven't done any remodeling, myself, but I watch a lot of DIY tv. :D

I've seen where contractors that are able to handle small jobs, get in over their heads in larger ones, like your total bathroom renovation, and just mess everything up, causing them to waste the owner's money.
    Make damn sure your contractor knows his stuff. See if you can look at his other jobs, or talk to his other clients. Don't just trust the smaller work he's done for you.

I'd also suggest watching episodes of Bath Crashers, Holmes on Homes and Renovation Realities for an idea of what you'll run into.

Hope everything turns out well, SZ.

• Like Like x 2
  4. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Renovation Realities is definitely a good one to scare you into remission.... with that said, being on the contractor side of things I will just make a few suggestions....

1) When you come up with a plan, stick with it. There's nothing more annoying and more costly than changing things, its annoying for the contractor and costly for you.

2) Try to have all the materials (tile, paint colour, light fixtures...etc) picked out ahead of time, and if you're purchasing it yourself, to have that bought and sitting there ready to go. You buying it yourself will cut down on mark up by your contractor.

3) Don't be afraid to ask questions or point something out that doesn't seem right. I always liked answering questions because it proves how capable I am to the customer. And if you have a gut feeling that something isn't right.... you're usually correct. And if you want to be involved as cheap labour for the process, ask if you can, it would get you involved and lessen any worries you would have as you would know more step by step through the tear down/build up.

4) As with any builds or changes.... get a permit... it will cover your ass and only reputable contractors will apply for a permit for construction.

Thats pretty much all I can think of for now....

• Like Like x 1
  5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Looking to do a major remodel for the kitchen and also do hardwood flooring.

I am not looking forward to it.

6. SuburbanZombie

He's done some major jobs for other people I know and they were very happy with his work.
    Watching DIY shows is a good idea. Thanks.
    --- merged: May 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM ---
    Good tips. Thanks.
    I'm sure he will get a permit. He built a pergola for us and got a permit even though town hall didn't know if it was required. The building inspector was impressed when he came by after it was finished. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We've done some work but nothing on the scale of remodeling. We repainted all of the kitchen cabinets and shelving a couple years ago--they went from this atrocious turquoise color to white. Much better. We still haven't found good handles for the front of the cabinets, though. Once we do that, sand the butcher block countertops, and repaint the ceiling, the kitchen will be as good as we can get it without tearing everything out and starting from scratch. In the upstairs bathroom, we replaced a sink/vanity and a toilet. My husband installed a new ceiling fan. Our house has plaster and lathe walls, so it makes it messy and difficult to do a lot of projects. If we did it all over again, we'd take it down to the studs and drywall the whole bathroom. Seriously. That would have saved us a lot of time. Texturing plaster is hard to do well. It took us several tries to find a method that worked reasonably well. In the bathroom, all it needs now are some touch-ups: the trim still needs to be painted, some textured areas need to be redone, and I'd like to put on another coat of paint. It looks really good except for the dingy vinyl floor. Our biggest problem was procrastination/distraction. The difficulty of working with plaster/lathe meant we put off today what we could do tomorrow, again and again.

It's great that you got a contractor. We haven't worked with one but my parents will be soon--they're planning on transforming the unfinished basement in this house into an apartment.

8. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

I know when we can get our bathroom redone, there will be NO tile. Solid surfaces only and no trends.

9. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

We re-did our kitchen about ten years ago. We did some of it ourselves and some of it with a contractor. The final result was good but make sure that you budget for surprises. Our biggest one was a floor in the back of the house that had no foundation. Given you are just doing a bathroom, I doubt anything will be that big, but you might find that your floors and joists are rotted thanks to a slow leak.

Just be prepared for the worst.

• Like Like x 3
  10. There amount of surprise is directly proportional to the age of the house.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Construction matters, as well. I've been remodeling my log home, one piece at a time for 12 years. Every single project has some ideosyncracy due to the construction. My only suggestion is to add a day and $500 to your estimates. There will always be a complication that you didn't expect once you start tearing things apart.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SuburbanZombie

Why is that?

13. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

I'm sick and tired of having to soak the grout with bleach and then scrubbing it with an old toothbrush. It has to be regrouted every few years around the tub edge too and the soap dish, part of the tile wall, gave way probably due to not redoing the grout as needed and water seeped in behind it, leaving a soggy wall.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  14. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

I do construction project management. Just a couple things, if it's not in writing, it doesn't exist, period. Seriously, your contractor can tell you wtfever he wants, but unless it's in writing, it won't happen. A good contractor will tell you exactly what to expect, and will communicate with you about any delays, or cost issues. Make sure that you get what you specified. It's not uncommon for a contractor to ask to substitute one product for an equal, but be sure it truly is an equal.

Communication is the key to a less stressful project. Remodeling is stressful to begin with, but some of that can be alleviated by building a strong working relationship with your contractor.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SuburbanZombie

Didn't think of that. We don't have any tile now so I'll cross that off any list.

16. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I don't like sheet-rock. It's too easy to break through.
    What other materials can replace sheet-rock? Is plywood good for walls?

17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

If you don't like sheet rock, you can always go with the traditional lathe and plaster.

18. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Plaster .... my bathroom wall is a mess of blown plaster. Horrible .. BUT no point doing a replaster until upstairs neighbours have been legally MADE to waterproof THEIR bathroom ... which, at the moment, leaks from time to time through my ceiling and down the wall. Major one about once every nine months.

Therefore, I am going to make a temporary false wall with small air cavity ..... might be hardboard on batons, or cloth hanging from baton. Not sure yet. I might do a picture of it to show y'all ... very likely to be things I've not thought of. I'm not bad with furniture and stuff, but 'structural' is pretty much outside my experience.

19. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

OMG, don't. It is messy and a pain in the ass compared to working with sheetrock. It's also just as easy to break through. I have the holes in the walls along my staircase to show it (moving furniture up my stairs is a pain).

20. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

use darker grout.

You can also use larger tiles like travertine stone sizes.
    what are you doing with the water? I mean spraying the walls down?