1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

RIP, Don Rickles

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Chris Noyb, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Don Rickles died on April 06, 2017 at age 90.

EDIT--I removed the link because instead of going to the NY Times story it was re-directed to VigLink (?) shopping. WTF?
    ----------------------------------

I never understood the appeal of insult humor, but I do respect the fact that Mr. Rickles made it work for him.....for many decades.

It's my understanding that off stage/IRL he was a very warm and generous man.

-----------------

A couple of Tonight Show episodes caused some mixed thoughts:

In an early one he traded barbs with a newbie comedian, and ended up taking as much as he dished out, and really enjoyed it (how many vets would tolerate that?). The newbie was some guy named......Richard Pryor.

On a much more recent episode he insulted the TS Band with a racial insult by saying "it's good to see black guys with jobs." Leno cringed and dropped his head. If the cameras caught the band members reactions, they didn't show it on TV.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The man was workaholic...kept going until the end.
    Even though his shtick was insults, he was a real mensch
    One of the classics.

Personally, I don't think he ever went too far...anyone that was on the other side, he knew could take it...and had a sense of humor about the whole thing.
    His mean, wasn't mean...mostly sarcastic.
    Little barbs...but not for the jugular.

I always enjoyed his routines.
    RIP

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Absolutely not my taste in comedy, no matter his intent and/or restraint. My respect is limited to his longevity, and the fact that nearly every one who knew him and spoke of him said he was genuinely nice guy (taking them at their word).

I pretty sure Rickles looked over the audience to decide who was game, or to further entertain the crowd who could be won over, and perhaps most importantly who to leave alone. A guy who looked as though there are at least 50 other places he'd rather be might be someone to skip :eek: :D.

4. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Not my brand of comedy either, neither is R. Dangerfield. However I do respect their achievements.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I loved the old school comedy roasts, and Rickles seemed to be at all of them.