1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Rising Star - ABC

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Charlatan, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am not in the US, so I wanted to ask and see if anyone is watching ABC's Rising Star. It's a singing competition where viewers get to vote on the live performances.

a) are you watching?
    b) what do you think of the show?
    c) are you using the App to vote?

I think the best part is that views can vote in real time. It's launching here in Singapore soon, and I am curious.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Is this realtime as in the results are immediate? It's my understanding that viewer voting is otherwise common in these shows.

What's the deal here? How does it work? How is it different?

3. Charlatan

It is realtime. Viewers download and App and while they are watching a singer they can vote yes or no. If the singer gets 70% or higher, they get to move on.

4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Quick answer for me - no
    Never have watched American Idol for any of the 47 seasons it has aired and I generally have little to no clue who wins until they release an album and start hitting the airwaves.
    Same thing for Survivor, Big Brother, Real World, or any of those.
    My grasp of pop culture is "dull edge" at best in many respects and I am just fine with that. Now if we start talking about Jack Benny's birthday, the year that Fred Allen/Fanny Brice/Al Jolson/etc died, or the years that The Jack Benny Program or Gunsmoke were on the radio then I can contribute loads of information and opinions.

edit: I instantly think of the program Major Bowes Amateur Hour whenever these kind of shows are mentioned.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  5. Charlatan

@Speed_Gibson, you crack me up. When it comes to pop culture (regardless of the era) you are the oddest duck I know.

a) I would expect nothing less than a No from you on this question.
    b) You should read the above as a compliment.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Speed_Gibson

So it would not shock you to hear that I think of '#' as "pound sign" and never "hashtag"? Or that buying a solid metal typewriter (50's or 60's probably, nothing old or too beat up) to actually use is relatively high on my list of things to do? Ooh, that reminds me - still need to order more film. And this time I am getting some in colour even! (says the person considering putting out photography books with nothing but B&W pictures)
    That might almost sound hipster, aside from my personal dislike of nearly everything that defines the stereotypical 'hipster'.

7. Charlatan

@speed_gibson, let's face it. You are the ur-hipster.

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Speed is normcore before normcore was a thing.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Charlatan

Everytime I read normcore this is what I think.

Every. Time.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Speed_Gibson

Never heard of this term before. Definitely better fit than hipster.

11. fresnelly

fresnelly Getting Tilted

Voting in real time? Like in Running Man?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Charlatan

Yes! If only those who don't move on were publicly executed, all would be a ratings success!