1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Russia - the Bear has become the world's bully again

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Mar 3, 2018.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

A few words about that “humanitarian corridor” out of Mariupol.
    It’s nothing of the sort.
    It’s ethnic cleansing (genocide) by another name.
    Putin has stated from the very beginning that his goal was to force Ukraine to recognize the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasti (provinces) as independent statelets.
    The unspoken part is that they want to be Russian ethnic states.
    By indiscriminately shelling civilians and opening and closing the “corridor” he creates a sense of urgency and panic stampeding ethnic Ukrainians towards the border.
    This is the same thing he had Russian troops do in Abkhazia and South Ossetia against the Georgians.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rogue49

What most Americans and many other nations don't realize, Putin is capable of a lot more death than most would think.
    Remember...
    He's ex-KGB
    He learned "old-school" USSR mindset and ways
    He's seen and ordered tons of death already
    Russia was under Stalin, who killed millions. (much less torture and imprisoned more)
    They're used to mass death and suppression.
    He's trained to ignore it.

I don't think he'll care who he hurts...including his own people.
    People don't count in his mind...only power, prestige and placement in history.
    An megalomaniac
    Trump with intelligence and skill...and no care about death, except his own.

I don't think he'll stop or back down.
    Unless HE is at risk.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I'm just not sure (an many others too), why he would do the full invasion. At the start he was going for the Donbas region, but he quickly escalated it before any progress could be made at creating a new country or Russian territory. Putin could have gone to the negotiating table and said, we will invade the rest of Ukraine if you don't recognize the new territory, along with getting rid of the anti-Russian language law, and not joining NATO.

Sure Putin might have guessed that the leadership of Ukraine would have fled, and the Russians did hit a lot of military targets at the beginning of the war. But the number of citizen soldiers and Zelensky staying and fighting, along with a pretty unified Western response was not predicted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

And in less than 1 month, Russia has had 100% inflation from all international goods basically. Gas might be $2USD/gallon (53 RUB per liter), but everything else they need to import has doubled in price in the past two and a half weeks. That is crazy.

US Dollar to Russian Ruble Exchange Rate Chart | Xe

Even the Chinese currency has doubled in value compared to the Russian's.
    Chinese Yuan Renminbi to Russian Ruble Exchange Rate Chart | Xe

The Euro isn't at 100% yet, but the rubles has gone way down compared to it too.
    Euro to Russian Ruble Exchange Rate Chart | Xe

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The economic impact might drive the generation of Russians who grew up with capitalism to take action (other than getting the hell out of Russia) against the Putin government. Older Russians might sigh and think here we go again.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rogue49

I said the exact same thing in a deep discussion the other day.
    Great minds think alike.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. rogue49

Over 400 Companies Have Withdrawn from Russia—But Some Remain

Very interesting
    Tons have gone or paused
    There's a price to pay...and hopefully Putin & Thugs pay it further.
    Unfortunately...regular Russians have to pay even more. :(

You can actually download the list.
    I'm surprised how few have stayed.
    Behooves the international community sticking it to aggression.
    Hope other countries learn from this.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. rogue49

Russian Troops Suffer ‘Acute Radiation Sickness’ After Digging Chernobyl Trenches

All I can say is "Duh" and "Sad"
    It amazes me how stupid people can be...even those you'd think should know better, like a military force and its leaders.

These soldiers are going to likely die a slow lingering death.
    All they're good for is for scientific guinea-pigs now and statistics.
    Horrible way to go. (but I guess war deaths are often horrible in infinite varieties)

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. rogue49

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. rogue49

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

I wonder...

Did Putin cover his ass financially before the attack on Ukraine, make sure he didn’t get stuck with devalued Russian currency? If he truly thought the Red Army would take Ukraine easily, he might not have taken precautions.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rogue49

14. Chris Noyb

The following will never happen. I'm not sure it's a good idea.

The invasion of Ukraine has shown that the Russian military, generally speaking excluding nukes, isn't all that great. Now could possibly be a great time to go after Russia. Obviously this would need to be coordinated effort involving several nations, and there would be numerous factors to consider. Our US military leaders have analyzing Russia for decades, I'm sure the thought has been on their collective mind, especially now.

15. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I would rather not live in a nuclear wasteland...

But I do feel that the Biden administration made a mistake not sending anyone, including himself to the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in China a few months ago. China might be doing some shady crap, but they are the key to stopping this from escalating too far.

The nuclear option is the only thing that is preventing the full on invasion of Russia from happening to claim their resources. The US wants the northern and eastern part, China wants the central part, the Turks or Iranians would like some more land in the South east... and Europe could use some more land too. Maybe that is what paranoid Putin feared, but it was never going to happen before he invaded Ukraine, but now there is at least some possibility of it happening. If nuclear weapons didn't exist, I think it might have happened by now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. rogue49

[​IMG]

nuff said :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chris Noyb

Are we witnessing the development of alliances that will lead to WW3?

We know Putin will do whatever is necessary for victory in Ukraine.

But I wonder why the mighty Russia needs help from Iran? Or is it some kind of diversion tactic?

What would Putin do with Ukraine? The only way he could keep the retaliation against Russian troops in check would be to scatter Ukrainians across Russia and/or turn Ukraine into a Russian military base.

18. rogue49

Putin World Declares ‘Our Agent Trump’ Is Irreversibly Screwed

What is it about Russia that makes them want to be dicks to US??? :confused:
    Uhhh...just because the West said you can't take what land you want? :eek: Keep it forever.
    Communism is a red herring...at least now.
    Jealousy?
    Resentment?
    Competition? (other countries are able to compete without being bullies or taking over places or doing cyberwar or instigating chaos or...)

We just want $$$...America is fairly simple (arrogant, shallow and greedy at times, but not TOO much :oops: :rolleyes:)
    Why the totally bad attitude?

We saw, it could be good before Putin
    Hope it can be again.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rogue49

20. rogue49

'They never found out': Fake heiress accessed Mar-a-Lago for over a year — CNN Politics

Yep…here we go.
    Ohh, she just “happened” to be where all those nice documents were for over a year.

And happens to be a Russian…fake heiress. :rolleyes:

AGAIN we see a trend & pattern of T somehow interacting with Russians under questionable circumstances.

The fact that we have laid down the law by now
    On all this crap over 7 years plus
    Shows you how broke the system is
    And TOO benefit of the doubt and lenience is given to those in power and even seemingly rich.

Dems do it too. Not addressing effectively and expeditiously.
    It’s just that the GOP is going WAY overboard for the past some years.
    Too much lingers.

Russia, China and others take advantage of this.
    Even “allies” like Turkey & Saudis do too.

We’ve gotten too big for our britches and complacent.

• Like Like x 1