1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Russian Plane Crash

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Nikilidstrom, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Nikilidstrom

Nikilidstrom Vertical

A plane carrying the entire Yaroslavl Lokomotiv KHL hockey team crashed this morning, killing all of the players, coaches, and crew except for one flight attendant and a goalie coach that wasn't on the plane. Here is an article about it:

Plane Carrying Russian Team Crashes

I'm not sure how many here are familiar with international hockey, but the KHL is the top league in Russia, and has several ex-NHL players on its rosters. Many of them are there to play a final year or two before they retired to spend time with family and friends.

Besides the shock of hearing this news about people that I've spent a good chunk of my life watching and admiring, and some I've even met, its also just crazy to think that one choice in a persons life, like where they are going to play hockey for a season, can have such a profound effect.

Anywho, I'm babbling. I just hope that somehow their families can get through this, as many of these young men left behind wives and young children.

2. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Its definitely been a bad summer for hockey all around.... I was stunned to hear the whole team died. I feel bad, there were some good players on that team that were stand up guys.

3. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

Honestly, I don't know what to say about it. I've read several articles about the crash now and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

4. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

It is an awful tragedy for the families and friends of those involved. A Canadian, Brad McCrimmon, who was friend of a guy I know in Ottawa was on the plane as well.

5. Nikilidstrom

Nikilidstrom Vertical

McCrimmon was an assistant coach in Detroit for the past few years, and I met him a few times during their training camps in Traverse City. He was always very personable and funny. That was one of the biggest shockers to think how excited he probably was to be in his very first pro-level game as a head coach, only to have this happen to him. He had paid his dues as an assistant, but couldn't find any available openings in the NHL, which prompted him to go to the KHL to gain head coaching experience. Like morpheus said, its just really hard to wrap your head around.

6. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I was wordless 12 hours ago when I heard about it. Still am. I'm beginning to get my head around it, but my thoughts and feelings are clutching and evading and clutching again and evading.
    Sympathies to all concerned :(