1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Sears sold Craftsman!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Jan 6, 2017.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I'm shocked to read that Sears sold Craftsman to Black and Decker.

What do you think this means for the retailer? What strategies does Sears need to adopt to keep up in today's marketplace?

2. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I have no idea what to advise Sears do at this late stage, other than shoring themselves up where they can. They had a great run. In addition to Sears selling off Craftsman, which to my understanding is a very strong brand, the chain is closing dozens more stores. Buying habits of consumers have evolved. It's been years since I set foot in a Sears store but at one point, when I still used the mall, it was one of four "anchor" stores. Was in it frequently. Mall shopping was never something I enjoyed, tho. The advent of big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot displaced Sears for me. Online shopping is my overall preference and I was surprised to learn recently that only 10% of all purchases are made online. So Sears' failure to secure the online market was not a huge reason for its decline.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Are we going to see Craftsman tools at Lowe's and Home Depot now? Why couldn't they find a non-competitor to buy Craftsman? Although at this point, everything is made by China just with different brand names attached.

While I like Sears, I think the competition from Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, Best Buy, and all the auto repair/tire stores is just too much. They needed to drop some of the products that don't sell, like how many people buy TV's from Sears? And expanded in other areas where people would go there for. Like lawnmowers, grills, tools, etc.

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Sears is dying.

They're not fighting...JCP fought. Macy's is fighting.
    You don't fight to survive...you die.

Why would you pay for mediocre at their prices??
    Just so they can pay for rent and utilities and staff a their huge store??

Smaller stores give better for less.
    They've languished.
    Lost heart.

Craftsman was their last reason to go there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yerba

Yerba ...wait, what?

Oh dear.

Craftsman used to make really, really good stuff back in the day, but from what I understand quality has been really lacking over the past decade or so.

I live in a bit of a vacuum, so I really had no idea Sears was in such a bad way to sell off what is probably one of their number 1 moneymakers (*everyone* knows the Craftsman brand, the tools basically sell themselves).

Sad to hear.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I bought quite a bit of Craftsman tools and toolchests when the local Sears went under. Good value at >50% off.

At this point, Sears just needs to die. There's no saving them.

7. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

They will be around for a long while circling the drain like Eastman Kodak.

I have to travel so far to get craftsman tools but that is the only reason to go to Sears. No reason to go there JCPenney or Kmart.

8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Sears without Craftsman products would be like a butcher shop that didn't sell beef and poultry.

Sears sold many items--mostly but not exclusively tools & yard equipment--under the Craftsman name, but Sears/Craftsman (S/C) did not and does not manufacture any of those items. They were/are made for Sears by other companies.

The S/C model numbers usually* read something like this 123.45678; the three digit prefix identifies which company actually made the product. You can lists on the net with searches like 'Who makes Sears and Craftsman products?'.

*Recently I have seen some S/C products that use a different model number system. I haven't made the effort to decipher it.

9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

FWIW, Sears will still sell Craftsman products, they just don't own the brand anymore.

That decision has been agreed on for the first 15 years post-sale. My guess is that it could continue after that if they wanted to work something out.

Stanley (who merged with Black and Decker 6-7 years ago) used to be a customer of my company's. They ended up closing that plant in northern IL, much of the production went to China.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I don't think Sears is dying........I think they're already dead, there just hasn't been a funeral yet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted