1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Seasonal Food Items You Look Forward To

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

'Tis one of the biggest seasons for them, but they are around all year long. What are some seasonal food items you enjoy? The (in)famous PSL? Egg nog? Pumpkin pie? Easter candy? Strawberry shortcake? I'm specifically thinking of things that are limited time only.

I have so many when I think about it. The inspiration for this thread is Sprite Zero Cranberry. It tastes like cranberry Sprite. It does not taste like red, which is exactly what the Diet Sierra Mist Cranberry tastes like. The other fall thing I look forward to in the beverage department is Bigelow's Apple Cider tea. It tastes like apple cider. I love the stuff.

How about you?

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Honeycrisp apples. The only seasonal item that I truly long for and absolutely can't be found. :)

3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I really love apples, and the excellence of the apples are almost the sole redeeming factor of living in the Midwest (I'm a California boy through and through otherwise). Honeycrisp are probably my favorite, but I also love Swiss Gourmet, Gold Rush, Mutsu, Fuji, Pippin, and occasionally some other varieties as well. If I can find very well-grown, organic, small-orchard Golden Delicious, I like them, too: they're absolutely nothing like the Golden Delicious that you find in supermarkets, which I loathe-- mealy, sugary, pieces of crap that they are. Real Golden Delicious have a lot of russeting on the skin, are firm, and have a very pleasant hit of tartness in the finish.

One of my favorite things at the High Holidays is eating apples and honey. Honey on challah, too.

I do also enjoy some pumpkin around this time of year. I like to roast it along with some butternut squash and some carrots, mash it all together with a little butter, some rum, some salt and pepper, a little orange zest, some ginger, some cinnamon, some cardamom, some honey, and a pinch of Aleppo pepper.

I like fresh cranberries, too. I make a raw cranberry relish, with raspberries, limes, pomegranate seeds, sugar, a little raspberry jam, and some sweet spices. Very good with chicken or duck, but also not bad with a little vanilla ice cream.

When I lived in Israel, I loved getting sufganiyot at Chanukah. They're basically like filled doughnuts, except they aren't glazed, and usually aren't so coated in powdered sugar, and they have a someway sturdier yet flakier consistency than American filled doughnuts. Traditionally, they're filled with jam, but these days you can get them filled with chocolate pastry cream, or whipped cream, too. I've even seem them filled with halvah cream, although I think that's weird. You can get things called sufganiyot at a lot of stores in Jewish areas or kosher bakeries here in the States, but they just aren't as good.

4. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Cranberries. They don't hang around long, so you have to enjoy them while you can (it helps to freeze a few bags along the way). Homemade cranberry sauce absolutely rocks!

5. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

6. Pico de gallo, reserved mostly for the summer. My homemade Pico (moms recipe of course) goes great with a pilsner and a boxing match.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I have noticed that I dislike many popular seasonal/traditional holiday foods. Cranberries, pumpkin anything, yams, and ham all rank nearly dead last on the list of food I would choose for any celebration. Those first three are hardly edible to begin with. A delicious hearty lasagna with cheesecake sounds like the perfect meal for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
    --- merged: Oct 22, 2014 5:04 AM ---
    I believe I have heard of these at least once in my life, but definitely never seen a box of them or tried them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Yu sheng. It's a raw fish salad that they serve in Singapore during Chinese New Year. All of the components are laid out on the plate and then everyone gathers around to toss the salad (yep, that's what I said). The key is to get it high as possible and shout, "Lo Hei" (auspicious wishes). The higher the more prosperous you will be.

Each ingredient has meaning and typically symbolizes things like wealth, good luck, prosperiety, long life, etc.

The practice is about as cheesy (or lovely) as any custom and how you feel about them. That said, the salad is very tasty and is only available during the 15 days of Chinese New Year.

9. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Mulled cider. Oh, how I love mulled cider.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Carmel apples. While you can get them year round, they're better in the fall.

11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I can my own using cranberries from the Oregon coast. People ask me come fall if I've made any yet and if they can get a jar for Thanksgiving. It's a great compliment!

• Like Like x 2
  12. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

We do love our honeycrisp apples, but I wait all damn year for my mutsus to come in. Bought a full bushel of them this past weekend.
    For the most part I just eat them straight up, but I have so many this time I'll probably make some apple sauce, and I put some in a spiced apple rice pudding the other night.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Snowy makes me want to do a cranberry rice pudding....

• Like Like x 1
  14. redux

redux Very Tilted