1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shop or not?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by bow35, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bow35

bow35 Vertical

Can we shop ourselfs out of an economic crisis, or do we need to find other intrests in our lifes to get out of the "crisis" once and for all? I know one cannot live without to consume, but why have prestige in ones belongings?

2. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

what do you mean by "other interests"?

3. bow35

bow35 Vertical

Art, culture...
    --- merged: Jan 19, 2012 5:52 PM ---
    education..

4. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

How are art and culture possibly going to have an effect on an economic crisis? Or is there some other crisis you have in mind?

5. EventHorizon

my response is to just pinch as many pennies as you cann for things you don't need. birthday/xmas/whatever presents = a whole day to hang out with family/friends and go for a walk or do something that costs nothing instead of the ipod/car people

6. bow35

bow35 Vertical

I see the mouse running in that weel that spins round and round. Running faster wont make the weel stop. Only if the mouse found another intrest. The weel represents our economy. And the mouse represents a human being

7. EventHorizon

i think you have a bad analogy my friend

8. bow35

bow35 Vertical

Just heard a radioprogran about how people take morgaches to keep up the race. Then one day the economy colapses....

9. EventHorizon

some people. most know better than to sell what you're living in to buy the newest xbox.

10. bow35

bow35 Vertical

Maybe I'm beeing over dramatic. Just thinking of what it whould meen to me if the economy collapsed. Like in the 20ies 30ies

11. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

More consumer spending would likely help in improving the economic conditions somewhat but the fact is - those who have the money to spend are holding on to it and those that don't have the money...well they don't have the money to spend. A government whose economy is too reliant upon the consumer to survive probably needs to look for a different model or at least a fall back model in lean times for consumers. At the very least they should consider not making matters worse by supporting efforts which are detrimental to their own consumer base.

I'm not sure if or how this addresses your question but I can't think of any lifestyle we as consumers can adopt that will improve an economy already too reliant on consumer spending. Changing our habits when we have the money to spend might serve to force a rethinking of our current economic model but I don't see how it will improve it, as it is.

The current crisis, at least here in the US, was not caused by a lack of consumer spending or by too much consumer spending. It was caused by the irresponsibility of financial institutions. And blaming those who were lured into taking on mortgages they couldn't afford is just plain ludicrous. Like blaming those who buy property at the base of a volcano for the eventual eruption.

12. bow35

bow35 Vertical

I try to follow your English, and I think I understand. My thinking leads me to: the speculation in economy, putting investments in projects which seems to be confident. That's how it collapses. When the banks put all their capital in speculative buisness.

13. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Yeah, that's what happened leading up to 2008. It probably wouldn't have been as bad as it has been if the Germans hadn't convinced themselves that no one would game the system in the way that many of the American investment banks did. But the Germans kept shoveling money into the CDO's, and that helped the Greeks, Irish and the Spanish to dig themselves in even deeper, not to mention the Americans.

It's fine to say that the system is broken, but you're not offering up any solutions, just pointing out a problem that I think most of us already knew exists.
    --- merged: Jan 19, 2012 6:50 PM ---
    All investments, are by their very nature, speculative. There is no such thing as a guaranteed return on any investment. Those would try to convince you otherwise are simply trying to steal your money. Even the US Treasury Department, which represents the soundest investment on Earth, will tell you that. And that is the reason for the downgrade of the US a few months ago and the European countries last week.

14. bow35

bow35 Vertical

The solution I'm offering is consciousness of mankind. Art, culture, education. Not shoping.

15. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

When I invest, I do so with the full knowledge that I'm gambling.
    --- merged: Jan 19, 2012 6:55 PM ---
    consciousness does not solve problems.. action solves problems

you can mix the two together, but alone, they merely counteract the end result into a spiral of failure.

16. bow35

bow35 Vertical

Being economical, and holding back on spending is a great verture and meditation.
    --- merged: Jan 19, 2012 6:58 PM ---
    I don't invest in that way. I consume to have an appartment. to eat. to have clothes

17. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

What do you think happens to companies if people don't invest in them?

That's right. Failure.

18. bow35

bow35 Vertical

Fine. If someone has sinsere to offer or company who doesssn't think of profit first, they shall survive a crisis.

19. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Way to shit on my industry, dude.

Art and culture are tied into the economy. Canada's culture industry is a multi-billion-dollar industry. The U.S. industry is, of course, much larger.

To note: government investment in the culture industry often has a great ROI, as the indirect economic activity generated by the creation, production, distribution, and consumption of culture is rather lucrative.

Restaurants, for example, love it when a hit musical brings out-of-towners to the area. Shopping malls love it when blockbusters open for the summer, drawing moviegoers to their stores. Etc., etc.

But even the cultural products themselves represent economic opportunities. It creates jobs. They are products for both domestic and foreign consumption, etc.

But enough of the obvious.

The OP suggests that maybe shopping endlessly for Chinese-made junk or wanting expensive homes overextends us and we spiral into debt. Will art and culture help with that? Not automatically. However, if people's priorities shift from the never-ending cycle of wanting "stuff"—after all, the wanting never really goes away—and instead turn toward rewarding cultural experiences (which, though often fleeting, may have more lasting satisfaction than buying "stuff"...it all depends on the experience, of course), then maybe they won't be so willing to rack up debt.

I'm not really sure how much any of this has to do with the latest crisis. Consumers were only one of several parties to blame for what went very, very wrong.

The problem isn't necessarily a consumer culture in itself. The problem is more about greed and ignorance.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Sorry bow, but we are not going to get ourselves out of our current financial state through mass meditation. And there is nothing wrong with spending in moderation, for what we need to survive and to enjoy a modicum of comfort in the process. As long as we continue to accept that our economies are best served by capitalism or forms of social capitalism, we will need to spend in order to keep the gears running smoothly. Spending less on junk? Yeah, I'm for that.

• Like Like x 1