1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Sinus trouble - help!

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by genuinemommy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Do you ever have seasonal problems with your sinuses?
    What products or procedures do you use to keep it from getting out of hand?
    Any natural remedies?
    What about prescriptions you found invaluable?
    How do you sleep at night?
    How do you eat?
    What air filtration do you use to minimize allergens?

My sinuses have gotten out of control. Seasonal allergies have morphed into severe sinus congestion. I can't breathe well, I wake up several times in the night, unable to breathe because my throat is overly dry and I cannot breathe through my nose. As I eat, my nose gets so stuffed I cannot breathe. Forget about smelling or tasting anything. I feel like I have glue in my head. Horrible sinus headaches, that spike when I bend down and stand back up - something I do thousands of times a day thanks to the copious amounts of time I'm spending with children these days.

I spoke with my doc about this last week and he recommended flonase. Haven't filled the script yet because it's a class C med and I'm pregnant - I'd rather exhaust other options before snorting a steroid daily.

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Neti, Neti, Neti! It's the only way to get the pollen out. I'm betting the oaks are blooming... Which is hell. They've got my hubs on otc nasocort now which is making sooooo much more of a difference for him than flonase rx.

• Like Like x 3
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My regimen probably doesn't apply to you: Claritin, Zyrtec, and Benadryl on a particular schedule; Claritin in the morning, Zyrtec and Benadryl at night. I also use Nasacort (side note: it also works for nonallergic rhinitis). This is preventative. Should something take hold, I Neti with a solution heavy on the saline to dry stuff out. I also use Simply Saline as needed; it does wonders if you're sneezy.

The Flonase will make a difference, but here's how to do it--Neti first, open up your passages so the Flonase can really get at the swollen tissues, then use the Flonase. You may only have to use it a couple of days to bring down the swelling and clear out the crap. And, an upshot for Flonase: if you ever get a bad cold, the kind that lodges in there and swells everything up, including your eustachian tubes, Flonase works for that! So does Nasacort. Don't use a Neti for at least a few hours after using a nasal steroid so the medication has time to absorb into your tissues.

I have horrible allergies, and I have to keep this regimen up or I start having breathing problems, which sucks.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

If it is truly allergies, I'd get a comprehensive allergy test. Then do allergy shots. Works wonders for many people. And the allergy tests are not nearly as scary as they used to be a few years ago. :)

I have extremely mild sinus issues (since having my deviated septum fixed and nasal polyps removed). I use some Nasonex one or two days a week and I am golden.

Hope you find a good solution. Severe sinus issues are not fun.

• Like Like x 1
  5. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

When I moved to NJ it seemed like they every plant that wasn't in Alaska I was allergic to, so Zyrtec became my best friend.
    I recently got a sinus infection that laid me out in a big way.
    One thing that seems to help is one of those air cleansers, Anchorage is dusty, dry, cold and when cloudy all the gas fumes get held down to ground.
    The Neti pot seems to help, as unpleasant an experience as it may be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. genuinemommy

Thanks for the tips on netipot + flonase. That seems like a very reasonable option. Hubby was supposed to bring me back a netipot from his shopping excursion today but instead got a mosquito fogger. I'm a little confused on his priorities. At least Cinnabunny won't be chased by clouds of mosquitoes in the backyard anymore.

7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Ha ha. You can also use the sinus rinse bottle if he doesn't grab the blue teapot looking pot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I've gone to see an allergist...gave me some indicators of what I'm allergic to.
    It helped pinpoint things and gave a bit more insight.

Generic Zyrtec (great buy CostCo)
    Nasacort (also a good buy at CostCo)

I take the generic zyrtec in the evening (the height/strength of the 24-hr cycle of the med hits in the morning when the allergy is at its highest)
    I take the Nasacort with it...it's also 24-hr

During the heights of my allergy season (Early Winter for me ...or a rainy Spring) I take Qvar (prescription from my allergist)
    Albuterol if my lungs are bad. (but I try to avoid this, if possible)

I sleep with nasal strips (again a CostCo buy)

Make sure my air filters for my place are replaced.

• Like Like x 2
  9. snowy

I also use the generic Zyrtec from Costco.

10. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

My seasonal allergies suck, and I am very prone to sinus infections. I am, in fact, getting over a minor one as we speak. So I get where you're coming from.

I use flonase from time to time. I can't use it too much, because if I use nasal spray too often, it tends to end up down the back of my throat, making me puke. But from time to time I can get away with it, and flonase does help some on those occasions.

I use Claritin every day-- and I take more than one. Several, somtimes.

I try to take a fairly steamy shower every day, and while I'm in there inhaling steam, I try to hack and blow my nose and generally clear out the pipes.

I have sleep apnea, so when I sleep, I use a CPAP machine with a mask that covers nose and mouth. The beautiful side effect is that the machine comes with a hypoallergenic filter system, so the worst of the pollen and crap in the air gets filtered out while I'm sleeping. Since you, presumably, do not have sleep apnea, I would recommend getting a high-quality HEPA air filter in your bedroom. If you have central AC, make sure it has a good (and fresh/clean) filtering system, and use it lavishly. If you have window units, make sure they have good filtering systems, and use them lavishly. If you are one of those strange always cold people who don't use AC, then at least get large-scale HEPA air filters in every room of your house. You may also need a small humidifier to put next to your bed. The air filter machines will be expensive. But they will make a fairly substantial difference.

The only diet advice I have is to drink. Hydrate the fuck up. Do not let your hydration level drop below "rainforest." The more dehydrated you are, the worse the congestion will be, and the more likely to turn into an infection.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I use a 'home' treatment nasal spray suggested by an allergy clinic--1/8 teaspoon each of baking soda & salt in 8 oz of water, shaken well to mix thoroughly. The spray bottle I use has a proper pump, it isn't one of the squeeze bottles. I don't use it for allergies per se, but more to de-gunk my dry sinuses (I can't blow my nose the way most people can unless I'm ill and my sinuses are runny).

For allergies I take diphenhydramine (generic Benadryl Ultratab) as needed. I used to love the inexpensive generic version of Sudafed Plus, one little white pill would block the allergan(s) and return the inflamed membranes to normal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. genuinemommy

I have to revisit this thread and offer a huge thank you. Everyone's advice was very helpful. My misery is now over, thankfully.

Neti pot was very helpful. I used it twice daily. It took about 4 days of using it twice a day to fully clear my sinus infection out, but each day I saw substantial improvement. I am down to using it once a day and expect to no longer need it at all soon - to be packed away for later use.

I went to home depot and purchased the best filters they carried for our HVAC system (Honeywell, FBR 10 elite allergen filters) I also purchased a better, new prefilter for the HEPA filter we keep in our bedroom. I ran the fan on our AC unit constantly for a couple days and it cleared all the pollen and such from the air in our home. Our home is now a safe haven against airborne allergens. It also made a huge impact.

Hubby purchased and will install a new, higher end cabin air filter for my Passat wagon. I do hope that it will be worth his effort.

I have tripled my generic zyrtec dosage, taking 2 at night and one in the morning. It may be overkill and I will eventually reduce it back to 2 then 1 daily, but it has made a difference.

Thank you again for all the tips. My daughter and husband were really suffering from allergies as well (I used a simple saline rinse frequently on my daughter's nose, and it has helped her clear out as well. Hers hadn't gotten to the infection stage yet, but it was pretty miserable for her). It is good to have this issue resolved and to know how to battle it proactively in the future.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

I find some spring crops trigger hayfever in me, probably oilseed rape, which is grown on the chalk downs near here.

I use a daily citerazine 10mg at breakfast, and it helps a lot. I've always found that pseudephedrine or oxymetazalone nasal sprays are effective at clearinv my breathing, but give me killer headaches. Recently, I picked up a spray of sterilised saline which works really well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

For the record Flonase is OTC as far as I know, unless there's an even-stronger-still Rx only version or you're getting a large quantity more cheaply than the shelf price.

15. genuinemommy

Yes, this is a stronger formulation the doc suggested. Another reason why I avoided it. Also, my insurance pays for prescriptions and not OTC.

16. snowy

Also, just so you know--you should be using distilled water or previously boiled water in the neti pot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

That's why I use the sterile saline spray. It is not desperately expensive, when you factor in the risks related to introducing problems from your tap water...

18. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

What, you mean it's not the greatest thing in the world to snort what amounts to a liquid calcium supplement?

19. snowy

Ehh, it's not that hard to use previously boiled water. Usually, if I'm using the neti on a regular basis at any given point in time, I have it on hand anyway. I'm personally not that worried about the quality of my water, but other people on this board may live in areas where it should be given consideration, plus I find it's a little less harsh that way. I also heat my water up to exactly 100 degrees in the microwave, which helps a lot, too.

20. genuinemommy

Yeah, wouldn't even wash it with anything but distilled water, and I sterilize it after every use.

• Like Like x 1