1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by snowy, May 18, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

This thread is meant to be a place for all things Trek. Surprisingly, we didn't have one.

The new movie, Star Trek Into Darkness, is out.

Here's a review from the NYTimes that is relatively spoiler-free.

Have you seen the movie yet? Did you enjoy it?

I saw it opening night. Apparently, a lot of people didn't realize it opened on a Thursday and not a Friday, so we had good seats in a 75% full theater. As a long-time Trek fan, I enjoyed the movie. There were enough references to keep me satisfied. The plot wore a little thin towards the end, and the movie left me questioning who the real bad guy was. Benedict Cumberbatch was fabulous, as I expected. I would say if you are a fan of Star Trek, it's a must see. As I told my coworkers yesterday, if you like hot men/women, explosions, and Star Trek jokes, then it's great. The acting is all-around solid. The lens flare gets a bit old.

2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I am considering watching this on the big screen. It may fall under the "fool me twice, shame on me" thing but I am still willing to risk it. If something like this is "ok" at least then that is something. Worst case scenario I get to write another blog entry for my audience of -4 people and state how J.J. Abrams should stay the hell away from anything Star Trek.

I suspect that Star Trek: Renegade will be the first new Trek production in more than several years that I will truly love watching. That trailer had me drooling from the first glimpse and waiting very impatiently now for it to be released. Anything directed by Tim Russ featuring Adm. Chekov somewhere in the 150 year old range and Cdr. Tuvok just for a start has a VERY promising base right there.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Thanxz for the tip about Renegades! I just watched the teaser, and it looks pretty sweet. I'll be following it. I dig the notion of Tuvok heading up Section 31.
    As an aside, does the Derelict look an awful lot like a mashup of Federation and Klingon (or maybe Romulan) to anyone else?

4. Speed_Gibson

Another one that looks promising is Star Trek Excalibur. Hopefully it will look something like the original series. I have always wanted to see a new series set in the 2260's/70's era, and seeing a ST:TOS era constitution class with an all new crew and their own emblem* could be quite good if done well.

* to state the obvious all 12 of the original Constitution class ships in the ST:TOS era had their own emblem. It was not until some point between ST:TOS and ST:TMP that the entire fleet adopted the one the Enterprise used.

I am still hoping that the films drop this silly action film/Mission Impossible (the recent films, NOT the original or 1988 series) look and become watchable again at some point for more than how well the actors portray the characters. If not it was a good run and there are other venues such this Renegades show or the books.

5. Fraeia

Fraeia Getting Tilted

I saw it Friday night, and I have to say, I didn't like it as much as the 2009 movie. It just seemed like it had too much action, and not enough character building. I still thought it was a good movie, I guess I just expected more.

A tiny thing I noticed - they showed Jupiter's Great Red Spot over 200 years from now looking the same as it does now. In 200 years that thing will probably be gone, or at least a lot smaller than it is now :p

6. Speed_Gibson

Everything I read about this encourages me to stay away from it. I was thinking "too much action and lens flare" just from the trailer I saw. If I do watch it eventually it would be to see Sherlock Holmes play the villian. I am thinking that the new Riddick film might be a good one to break a 20 month (or so) absence from the big screen viewing. I expect minimal plot, mindless action, Vin Diesel playing one of his better badd-ass characters again, and anything beyond that would be a bonus.
    And to bring this back on-topic....I soooooo want to buy the TOS and TNG seasons on digitally remastered blu-ray. I see them at work now and they are high on my "someday" list. I waited impatiently all summer for part 2 of "Best of Both Worlds"; kids these days just cannot truly appreciate that feeling when they can push "play next episode" on Netflix or put in the next DVD.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlterMoose

But, dude, even those 5 seconds or so between parts 1 and 2 of Best of Both Worlds can be torturous.

That may have been one of the longest summers of my life....

• Like Like x 2
  8. absorbentishe

absorbentishe Vertical

I really liked it! It was a solid script, and the acting was good. Just the whole 9-11 thing got me. My daughter went with me (we were going to see The Great Gatsby but was sold out), and someone who doesn't really like scifi, she really liked it too!

9. Speed_Gibson

Speaking of Star Trek, to ask a very subjective question -
    What is your favourite incarnation of the Enterprise that has been shown on a television series or film?
    I have to go with the upgraded Constitution class showcased in the first films that had an awesome death sequence in ST:III (to quote Scotty, 'no bloody A, B, C, or D'). Classic elegance and the best bridge overall if you ask me that also has the best uniforms from the entire show's run in my opinion. Not counting the 'interesting' uniforms from ST: TMP that I am glad they dropped. Speaking of uniforms, I can strongly attest as a former Navy engineer that lived in coveralls at sea that the most practical uniforms bar none were in ST:Enterprise. Those are so much more comfortable and easy to change when they are trashed from working in a dirty bilge, with oil, fuel, etc. Or if you work in a 100+ degee mainspace and have salt stains down your spine and across your shoulders just from one shift worth of sweat.
    The jumper things in early TNG were impractical but they did improve quite a bit by the end of the run and the time Generations was released.

A close second for me on the ships would be the Sovereign class NCC 1701-E from the last TNG films. I love how they brought back the engine pylons from the TOS constitution class and made it much more bad ass than the Galaxy class. The NCC 1701-D was a special treat to see though, I well remember watching the TNG pilot back in '87 and especially the 137 year old Adm McCoy.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  10. snowy

After watching so much TNG of late, I'd have to say the Enterprise-D is my favorite :)

11. AlterMoose

There will always be a special place in my heart for the potential-future Enterprise-D from All Good Things, just because of how our entire house reacted to what, to this day, is fondly referred to as the Klingon-buster cannon.

There was always something appealing about the lines of the NX-01, though.

12. Speed_Gibson

I like the relative simplicity of the NX-01. The lack of tractor beams, phasers, decent sensors, and all of the other things that are taken for granted by future crews was a good change. It was practically unarmed early on and not having shields either was a big difference.
    The Enterprise-C was a cool mix of the Excelsior and Galaxy, and they still had the ST: 2-6 uniforms as of 2344 when it was lost in combat under the command of Shooter McGavin per the modified timeline.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AlterMoose

That was part of what I liked so damn much about Enterprise. The crew relied on chutzpah more than tech. Took me a while to get used to Klingons being the enemy, though....

C was a damn fine vessel. Tommy Jefferson!

There was one ship I never saw anywhere except in my imagination. From the novel, Mirror Mirror, the mirror-universe Enterprise-D. Same lines, of course, but she was gunmetal and had tougher-looking decals.

14. Speed_Gibson

I have that on my shelf (along with damn near all of them up to 99' ish I think) and just re-read it a few month back. That ship sounded awesome and I liked the mirror universe story there better than the established canon in DS9 and elsewhere on TV. As I recall her shields were tougher but "leaked" or something along those lines and that enable the normal D crew to beam through them at precise intervals.

15. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

How did I never notice that Riker sits down like this ALL THE DAMN TIME?

• Like Like x 7
  16. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

17. Speed_Gibson

18. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

[​IMG]

Patrick Stewart posted this on his facebook page a while back. I love it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Speed_Gibson

Star Trek Renegades is doing a fundraiser to optimise what they can do for the pilot episode.
    Earlier today the total was $450 toward the minimum goal of $20,000. They have already hit $2,288 in less than 12 hours. I am hoping they hit the $200k mark so they can get all the way to building full alien sets and a brand new bridge rather than redress an existing set.

20. snowy

They are sitting at $22,732 right now. It sounds like an interesting concept. I look forward to seeing what happens.

My husband and I keep going back and forth about what to watch next. The only episode left in TNG is "All Good Things..." I'm not a huge DS9 fan, and he's kind of meh about Voyager. Might start with DS9 and jump in with Voyager about where the continuity makes sense. One of our friends tried to argue with me that Ds9 was obviously superior because of Worf. While I love Worf, I don't necessarily like the direction they went in Ds9 with the character.