1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

star wars mmo the old republic release date!!!

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by highjinx, Sep 26, 2011.

1. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

12/20/11!!!

here's the article

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110924

it's a comin! start your engines! i am stoked, bioware hasn't let down ever and blizzard is laggin on d3 so this is gonna be big. hopefully by then i'll have beat arkham city lol.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I am so glad that I'm not into MMOs, or I'm sure this one would own me. I'm a closet Star Wars nerd and love all the expanded universe stuff.

3. Arc101

Arc101 New Member

Love Star Wars, but will be avoiding as I think the costs are too high and also my wife may leave me if I join !

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm secretly hoping this sucks, so that it doesn't turn me to the Dark Side and suck out my soul, my time, and my money.

5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

So the consensus is that we are all scared of it. :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Yeaaaaa. Given how fat I got when I was playing WOW...not gonna touch this.

Tempting though. Gosh.

7. b2653009 Slightly Tilted

Argh, I don't know what to think about this game. I want to try it before buying it. I'm completely 50/50 on my decision to play. I haven't yet seen any features of the game I really love, and I HATE paying monthly for a game. It feels like such a damn ripoff! My friends are begging me to get this game for group online playing, but.....meh, I dunno.

8. Baraka_Guru

Well, if they do anything like other MMOs, there will be a free 2-week or 1-month trial or something.

Your first hit is always free.

9. Nikilidstrom

Nikilidstrom Vertical

they lost me with the tacked on shooter-style space combat.

10. Baraka_Guru

It's not like WoW has particularly awesome aerial combat.

I think I like Star Wars too much to care that much about it.

I've seen the videos. It still looks awesome.

11. highjinx

o man, i just went through the classes and trailers and it's bringing me back to how fun wow was when i started it. to get in from the ground up could be really cool, plus having a personal starship and pvp elements.... i think i'm gonna have a new hobby for a while in 2012.

edit... looks like a pre-order will get me in early access, + i have 26 bucks in credit at amazon at the moment. so thats just 35 bucks for the first month. starting to look like a no-brainer.

12. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i hope it doesn't suck like every mmo i've played in the last 8 or so years. every new mmo is fun for about 3-6 months then i cancel. maybe it's just me though.

13. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

While there's nothing inherently wrong with WoW, I'm losing interest. Most of the people that I really enjoyed playing with have moved on. SW:ToR looks to be the game that may suck them back in. I'm looking forward to it.

14. Nikilidstrom

Nikilidstrom Vertical

Not sure why you brought that up, but I don't play WoW either. Not to mention, WoW isn't based on a franchise about traveling from planet to planet in unique spaceships, having battles in space along the way.

and if you are trying to say SWTOR is like WoW, then I definitely won't be playing it.

15. Baraka_Guru

I brought it up because WoW is often the standard by which MMOs are compared. It is a useful comparison for understanding what can and cannot be easily done in an MMO. It reveals limitations and expectations on one hand, and hopes of progress on the other.

On the macro level, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two games other than one is sci-fi and the other is fantasy. Both are tragically iconic. One just happens to be space opera, while the other happens to be epic fantasy.

In essence, the Old Republic is more or less an updated WoW but with a sci-fi theme. It will likely run the full gamut of genre tropes and cliches, especially with updates and expansions as things go along (just like WoW), and people will probably eat it right up (again, just like WoW).

Did you honestly expect something else? Have you played WoW?

I think they're developing one or two pretty serious 3D space simulation MMOs. Maybe that's more your speed.

16. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

wow did so many things right. with every mmo i play if they dont have a user interface at least as good as wow i almost rage quit immediately. there are just so many things that have been accomplished with games now that i expect, and if a game doesn't deliver i cant stand playing them. with that being said it doesn't leave much room for innovation.

i find it funny that every game basically copys wow and does terrible. the progression on wow now and new games is so boring. it's literally the same thing with +5 tacked on to your lvl and every piece of gear and i can't stand it.

where's my next everquest?

17. highjinx

if anyone else here is interested in loosely coordinating a tfp jedi or sith guild or whatever it would be called in star wars i would be open to that. i don't have a lot of pc gamer friends.

18. Nikilidstrom

Nikilidstrom Vertical

I think the sad thing is there is no way you could expect something else. With EA as the backer, there is no way they would allow SWTOR to stray too far away from whats proven to make money, even by adding innovative (or at least fun) space combat. Which seems to be the problem with the vast majority of MMOs on the market.

And yes, I have played WoW, but it didn't take long to realize how limited and repetitive it is.