1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Sugar

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Oct 16, 2014.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a sweet tooth?
    Do you consciously avoid sugar?
    Do you think cutting sugar could improve your life?
    Do you think your diet has more or less sugar than the average American?
    Do you prefer any international food options because of their differing sugar content?

Story about a family cutting out sugar for a year, and their perceived health benefits.

Her Family Stopped Eating Sugar for A Year, and This is What Happened | The Mind Unleashed

We are always hunting for food items that have no added sugar or corn syrup. It's very hard. We do a lot of from-scratch cooking, yes. We shop at a local grocery store that has a lot of international and natural food options. We're not anti-sugar, but we prefer to have no sugar in things that shouldn't have sugar. (my husband works for a candy company - we love sugar, just as a treat and not as a main component of our diet.)

Oh - and more on international food options: puffed bazmati rice instead of rice krispies. Frozen Indian meals instead of Stauffer's. Marinated extra firm tofu instead of tofurky and other processed products... There seem to be so many more international food options with less sugar. The American guys at the lab are always teasing the international students who bring in "candy" that doesn't taste sweet. I think it's good - it's definitely designed for a different palate. What's your palate like? Sweet or salty?

• Like Like x 1
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It's not really no-sugar, as the author suggests a couple times in the article, if one is still consuming fruit, milk, or beer, among other things. I feel like a less savvy reader would miss the part where she said that they wouldn't eat a sweet thing unless the sweetness was "attached to its original source."

I don't eat a lot of sweet things these days unless I make them myself (a rule I picked up from Michael Pollan), though I still need to figure out how to make a Fig Newton, and I will still buy ice cream as an occasional treat. Right now, the only sweet treat we have in the house is a box of Fig Newtons I bought as a surprise for my husband (they're his favorite). It's probably the first box of cookies I've bought for home (we sometimes buy cookies for camping) in several years.

I agree with your observation about other palates. I love Japanese confectionery, and it's considerably less sweet. One of my favorite treats is mitarashi dango The sauce is sweet, salty, and savory, so it is extremely satisfying. I also really love daifuku; Westerners might find the filling of anko a little odd at first, given that it's sweet, mashed-up azuki beans. I've made daifuku from scratch, and it takes less sugar than most Western baked goods. I think I used about a cup, total, including the filling of tsubu-an; chocolate chip cookies, exclusive of the chocolate, take 1.5 cups. One of my favorite candies of all time are these ume candies:

[​IMG]

They're not particular sweet (umeboshi are salted, pickled plums, after all), but rather sour, salty, and finally, they fade to a subtle sweetness. They're very satisfying compared to other candies, and I think it's because they hit so many taste sensations. They're a great palate cleanser. I need to buy more. I like getting people to try them along with Dubbel Zoute licorice--Dutch salty licorice, which is not really sweet at all, pretty salty, and will cure anything (so said my grandfather).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Something I just came across:

4. snowy

Sorry, if the sources include Mercola, I'm going to just dismiss that out of hand.

Also, I don't see people throwing up when they drink grape juice, which is just as sugary as Coca Cola. Apple juice is only a little less sweet.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. genuinemommy

Yes, thank you snowy.

6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Furthermore:
    Diabetes Myths: American Diabetes Association®

As for me, I need to cut out sugar and several grams of relatively empty carbohydrates in general. I tend to use these too much as filler, which crowds out a lot of potential nutrition in my diet.

I'm an impulsive eater, and eating poorly only perpetuates this habit. I need to make some changes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

I have a family member who was diagnosed with Type 1 later in life (mid-twenties); I frequently have to specify that it is Type 1 because people will just go off about how this person must have done it to themselves. Then I have to explain what Type 1 is, as there is so much misinformation out there about diabetes, and that the twenties are a hot time for autoimmune disorders, period. That said, even a person on Type 1 can benefit from a balanced diet low in sugar, as it can mean the difference between needing shots and being able to use an insulin pump instead. The end result of a healthy diet for anyone with diabetes, regardless of type, is usually needing less medication.

• Like Like x 1
  8. genuinemommy

My dad is quite fit. He is also a diabetic (Type 2). It drives me bonkers when people assume if you're fit and healthy that you're not going to have blood sugar issues. Genetics is a huge component, even with type 2. I know it will affect me some day. I plan my diet so it minimizes my likelihood of contracting the disease, but I know it's going to catch up to me no matter what.

9. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

We are healthy eaters, and our diet is quite low in processed/added sugars compared to most Americans.
    We do all of our own cooking and do not drink sweetened beverages.

But you can take away my daily dark chocolate only when you pry my cold dead hands off of it......

• Like Like x 1
  10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

No idea who Mercola is. It was, literally, the next thing I flipped to after reading this post.

I should have added that it is a clear example of those who are anti-sugar.

That said, sugar is a problem. I don't think it's healthy for the debate to be as shrill as what I posted, but, there are some very real issues in our modern diet, specifically around sugar derived from corn.

11. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I used to eat a lot more sugar, and I still eat more than I should. I have never been a pop drinker though.

I just wish that they would switch back from HFCS to regular sugar.

12. omega

omega Very Tilted

I have a horrible sweet tooth. It's going to be the death of me. Sodas are the worst thing for me, and since I don't exercise like I used to, I can feel the sugar more. I read a good comparison recently. It was that a Cadbury creme egg has about the same calories as a can of coke. I really think that cutting out the extra sugar would benefit me. But I haven't done it. I do think some grains are fine though, and that a reasonable amount of calories can come from carbs. Probably less than what most people consume, though.

13. genuinemommy

Dr. Mercola is a holistic quack that puts out a natural living publication, and has reviews for holistic dentists, doctors,etc. Dr. Oz got a lot of flack from featuring Dr. Mercola a while back.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I knew I liked you for some reason... Must be the brains

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baraka_Guru

Holy shit. Being the guy Dr. Oz received flak for featuring must really suck. I mean, it's Dr. Oz.

16. genuinemommy

Glad someone caught that.

17. snowy

Speaking of Mercola and his tinfoil-hat wearing ways, one of the myths he perpetuates is that microwaves are harmful and a terrible way to cook vegetables, since they're basically irradiating our food. These "articles" on microwaves lure unsuspecting and not-so-critical thinkers into believing they're true, when in fact, it's quite the opposite: cooking vegetables in the microwave is one of the best ways to cook them. It requires minimal water, and therefore the nutrition within the vegetables isn't lost the way it would be with boiling or even with steaming on the stovetop. A couple tablespoons of water in the bottom of the dish is all cooking in the microwave requires. Oh, but no--we're IRRADIATING our FOOD! My husband, who has considerable expertise in microwave chemistry, has to explain to people that that isn't how microwaves work, and that there are plenty of other sources of microwaves in the world (wireless communications, radar, GPS, remote sensing). No, your microwave is not leaking radiation into your house; it's fully shielded. We're exposed to microwaves ALL THE TIME in everyday life.

My MIL almost went on an anti-microwave kick for a while. My husband laughed at her when she told him what she'd been reading. She looked at him doubtfully for a moment until he was all, "Mom. I have a Master's degree in what amounts to microwave chemistry--do you even know this guy's credentials?" Ugh.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 2
  19. snowy

For the fat time of day...I think I'd rather just eat fat. At the very least, it's satiating.

20. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

sweet tea is my biggest downfall

• Like Like x 1