1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me about your first Bicycle

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Mar 30, 2015.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Do you have fond memories of your first bicycle?
    Do you remember the color?
    Perhaps you remember how it felt to ride.
    Did you enjoy a new sense of freedom when you had your first bike?

For my daughter's birthday this year (2nd b-day) we gave her a bicycle. She was drawn to it, and glued herself to it inseparably for a half hour in the store before I caved and decided to purchase it for her. She was super excited to find a bike her size. She recognized it right away as her bike and wouldn't let anyone convince her otherwise (it's a bit too big, honestly).

I vaguely recall my first bicycle. It was a hand-me-down from some relative. It was light blue/periwinkle. It had training wheels. It was too big, and it took me a long time to learn to ride it. Now, my second bike, that's a different story. I remember that one really, really well. I got to pick that one out brand-new in the store and it was everything to me. I had proven myself a capable rider, and so I was thrilled I was going to get my very own red and black 3-speed bike that I could take mountain biking. A few months after I got it, I convinced my father to take me on a trail that he and my older brother would go on often, one that would be a challenge for most physically fit adults. I was 10 years old. And I was stubborn - I rode that bike the entire 8+ miles of that trail, through the mountains to the beach. By the end, I was coated in mud, completely exhausted, and proud as could be. I asked to do it again the very next weekend. We rode that trail together nearly every other week until I graduated high school. Eventually I outgrew that bike, and my dad gave me a lightweight 21 speed sometime when I was a teenager. By the time I rode it with friends in college, I was able to leave most of the male companions that I drug on that trail in the dust. I knew that trail backwards and forwards.

The bike my daughter chose, and the enthusiasm with which she chose it, reminds me of my little red bike. Maybe it's no coincidence that her bike is also red. She definitely is determined to take it for a spin at every available opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

The first bike I got was a black BMX style bike. I must've been about 4. I remember my dad had it all put together and it was sitting in our kitchen. Had one of those velcro pads over the bar, I thought it was so cool. That's what I learned to ride a two wheel bike on. At the time, we lived in a small town, and I rode that bike everywhere. Sometimes I would go 'uptown' to the store for my mom to get a few staples or odds and ends she needed. It was about two or three blocks, and if I could manage it on my bike she didn't have to get my little sister in the car. I even remember once her giving me a check for the mortgage (a whopping $169, I still remember) and had me take it to the bank. It as impressed on me how important it was not to lose it, and I felt old and responsible being trusted with such an errand. I can't have been 7-8 years old, since we moved away from that house right when I turned 9. Good times.

• Like Like x 1
  3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I do not recall my first bicycle, but my mother likes to tell the story of me as a young child learning to ride it. Apparently (and this is not something I recall, possibly related) I spent an entire day in the front yard just trying again and again and falling over again and again until I finally got the hang of it.

So it turns out my stubbornness is innate I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Not my picture, and not my exact bike, but I had the same model.
    [​IMG]

You can see the holes on the ends of the handlebars where the streamers have been cut off on this one; they were blue, pink, and white to match the rest of the bicycle. I also had lots of decor in my spokes, also coordinated with the bicycle, but that was my own touch.

My childhood neighborhood was relatively isolated in a rural community when I was young and riding my bike around. We lived in a subdivision on an island in the Puget Sound, surrounded by country on three sides and beach houses on the fourth. The neighborhood was kind of terraced into the hillside, so there were two flat streets parallel to each other, and a long, sloped street connecting the two halfway through the neighborhood; at the end of the subdivision, there was a much steeper, curved hill that looped the two streets together, while at the other end there was a busy road at the end of a steep hill. We had our boundaries: the busy road on one end, and the loop on the other. We were not allowed to go anywhere but those two streets; however, that was ample territory to explore for many years.

All the neighborhood kids had bikes, and we would spend countless hours trolling around on them, going from one house to the next. When bored, it was common enough to hop on one's bike and cruise the neighborhood looking to see who was out playing. We would have races, both on the flat streets and on the long, sloping hill, and we would set up obstacle courses to navigate through on our bicycles. I had a very steep, curved driveway, which was the toughest thing to navigate safely in our neighborhood, and proved a challenge to more than one comer; a friend ran off into the bushes of the vacant lot next door at one of my birthday parties. Of course, we were all very proud of our bicycles, and kept them in top condition at all times. They were things to be seen on and shown off.

I started riding my bicycle sometime before 5 years old, and I graduated from the Sea Princess on my 8th birthday; I saved up my allowance for nearly a year to buy a Murray bike with gears, which we ordered from BEST. It wasn't nearly as fancy as the Sea Princess, and I missed the banana seat. Somehow, it felt a little like growing up, and I didn't entirely like it. I had that Murray until my teen years, but I didn't ride it as much once I moved to the suburbs of Portland. It just wasn't the same.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I had an orange fixie from one of my father's old work associate's sons. Hand me down bike. It had some funky '50s-esque curves to it. I remember the top cross bar was a swoop shape instead of a normal straight pipe.

It was a cool bike. I wonder if my mother has any embarrassing pictures of me on it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

[​IMG]

1970 Schwinn Fastback, the cheaper version without the gear in the middle and all the flash.
    The my best friend's dad saw that I didn't have a bike when all the other kids did.
    Everybody lived miles apart so the only way kids could get together was by riding, so he actually went out and got one for me.

It was tough, we used to do jumps, grab a branch and let our bikes sail off into the creek.
    It put in a lot of miles.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

[​IMG]

It was a great bike. I can't believe my parents let me ride it on my own all over the neighborhood, through the woods, and with friends. I kind of doubt that kids get the same freedom today. Especially since I didn't have a cell phone (they didn't exist back then).

Did I just say "Back when I was a kid, we didn't have those new fangled smart phones"... I'm getting old.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Way too many years ago to remember my first bike, the one I remember the most fondly was a tellow Scwinn Continental. We covered a many miles, and I killed it in spectacular fashion (I'm lucky that I didn't crack my head open).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Mine was from Canadian Tire. It was white with a flash of red at the goose neck. It had a wicked banana seat and coaster brakes. I rode it everywhere until I snapped the forks going over a speed bump (I had wounded it earlier jumping it over dirt ramps in the wood at Morningside Park - Scarborough represent!). When the forks snapped I landed on my chin and needed stitches.

I was off roading before mountain bikes were a thing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

My first bike was one my brother and I had to share. It was black with solid rubber tires and permanent training wheels attached.
    I think my father may have had a sadistic sense of humor. All our friends had cool bikes like @snowy and @redravin posted, but when we begged for our own, that's what he brought home.
    He suggested we could ride it to school, taking turns on the way. We ended up ditching it in the woods halfway there out of embarrassment.
    After we brought it back home we set about removing the training wheels with a hacksaw. When that proved too difficult, we moved on to a hammer.
    I don't remember when we permanently ditched that bike, but I stopped riding it when a new kid moved to the neighborhood.
    He had a bike that was made to look like Evil Knievel's motorcycle. I fell in love with that bike! I wanted to ride that thing so bad.
    Unfortunately, it turns out I still needed training wheels. He let me ride it (after my brother, of course) and I wrecked getting out of our driveway, so he didn't let me ride again. :(

I think we had a couple of hand-me-down bikes after that, but the one I remember the best was the last bike my dad bought me before he died.
    He picked me up after school one day close to summer, out of the blue, and we went to the new bike shop in town.
    I ended up getting a big purple ten-speed. A little too big for me, but I grew into it. I loved that bike.

You know, I swear, if you're a normal kid, boy or girl, by the time you start driving a car, you could probably be a certified bicycle mechanic. At least from my era, you could.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Mine was a blue BMX with yellow mag wheels.

/the'80s

• Like Like x 1
  12. genuinemommy

I love all of your responses. They give me a glimpse into your young lives.
    I wonder if anyone will pipe in who had their first experience with a bicycle as an adult.

13. SPECTRE

SPECTRE Vertical

mine was a BMX with a Mongoose frame... the seat was dead low so that when i flip the bike it would not get in its way to go around.... such a nice bike really.....

• Like Like x 1
  14. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I remember that as kids we'd get a brand new bike for our 10th birthday. Mine was red, single gear, with the long seat/sissy bar - like Snowy and redravin's pictures above. Prior to this, I'd already learned to ride - I'd ride my older brother's bike, while he road dad's old racing bike. Luckily we lived somewhere pretty flat as dad's bike was also a single speed bike but really highly geared.

It is a long way from there to the bikes my boys are riding - first bike around 6 years old (which we have since given away). My 9yo is on a red giant with 6 gears and front suspension, and my 11yo is on something larger that was given to us by a friend - also a mountain bike with 6 gears. I can see myself losing *my* bike to the oldest one soon.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fremen

Speaking of forks, when one of us neighborhood kids broke their forks (I forget who) we had the bright idea to weld 3 or 4 forks together to make a chopper bicycle. It worked for a while, until we tried to make them longer with more forks. There was just too much stress in the middle and it bent down and dragged on the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  17. genuinemommy

How many kids today weld?!

18. Fremen

Not many, usually.
    I would guess quite a few in rural places, though, but it also helped that my dad and uncle were welders. Almost like osmosis. ;)

• Like Like x 1