1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The AD&D Thread!

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by MeltedMetalGlob, Jul 2, 2017.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

@Azharen I'd be interested as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

I'd love to, but I don't know if I can commit to it- my schedule (and internet availability) is going to be severely limited for the future- the result of having too much stuff going on at once.

If there's a thread though, I would certainly be an enthusiastic spectator! :)

Oh, and I found this:
    [​IMG]

3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Worst case scenario...

My friend and I were the last of our party alive against a horde of gnolls. I was playing a ranger, and he was a wizard/thief. Fighting was in close quarters and we were both getting low on hit points. This is when he chooses to use a fireball spell...

The look of satisfaction on my friend's face as the DM rolled for the gnolls and they dropped like flies. The look of confusion which turned to dismay as the DM then rolled damage on us caused by the flashback from the fireball in close quarters.

Both of us cinders.

Idiot.

• Like Like x 3
  4. MeltedMetalGlob

That reminds me of a friend of mine who once played in a campaign where you were not allowed to cast a fireball spell unless you could properly do the math and calculate trajectory. Apparently he was gaming with a horde of math nerds, and this made spellcasting an enormous chore.

His solution?

He acquired a Ring of Fire Resistance and asked the DM if he could cast the fireball spell by centering it on himself. This was allowed, and the result was more than adequate- my buddy would end up somewhat singed, but everything around him got barbecued. He would throw himself into a horde of unwashed orcs and his comrades would stay the hell back.

As a side note, he said he also employed this method to punish stupidity among his fellow adventurers- someone would fuck up badly, and he would walk up to them, put his arm around their shoulder comfortingly, smile...

and then throw down a 6HD fireball!!! :D

Unrelated, but I found this- battle music for playing D&D!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. redravin

My experience with fireballs goes back to the early days as well and the infamous Kill Kittens which came from the infamous Arduin Grimoire.
    These damn things were two cute and cuddly kittens that sat on top of the treasure chest.
    They weren't any stronger or deadly than a regular kitten.
    They only had two powers, Pounce, which teleported them about two feet directly into your face and Hydra that caused two of them to pop up if you killed or disable one.
    Since the door had locked behind our party and we didn't figure out the whole, the kittens are multiplying until the room was half full of them and we were dying, our Mage freaked out and burned them.
    Which promptly killed us all, since the room filled up with kittens and smothered those of us who weren't burnt.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Hint: don’t use fireballs in libraries.

Librarians tend to frown on it.
    For some reason...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

That’s a brilliant trap. Tribbles with claws.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MeltedMetalGlob

A few more thoughts on inappropriate times to use spells...

In one campaign (ill-fated) we were surprised and overpowered by a tribe of savages. We were being led in a tunnel underground to their lair for an evening of being sexually violated (yes, THAT guy was in charge of this adventure) and our two wizards elected to cast a fireball in each direction, hoping that their packed bodies would shield us from the blasts.

This was early 1988, so the movie Die Hard hadn't come out yet. If it had, we would have changed our minds about setting off explosives in confined areas, but again- blowing yourselves and your enemies to smithereens in a grand blaze of glory sure beats being raped. Again.

Another example, far more hilarious and with a happier ending- in one campaign I was running, I devised a stronghold with magical walls that had various effects, depending on what kind of spell was being cast. For example, red walls would absorb fire-based spells, making these useless in these rooms. Blue walls enhanced cold-based spells, so using these doubled their effects.

However, my most insidious design was the gray walls- any spell cast in these rooms would immediately be cancelled and replaced by a random effect from the Wand of Wonder table. The wizard in my group figured this out and planned accordingly. However, during one combat encounter with a dozen guards in a gray-walled room, the party wanted the mage to employ some offensive magic to reduce the odds against them.

The mage announced that to use spells in this particular room would be ill-advised... so the entire party went nuts and used their own spells or magical devices that cast spells, simply for the absolute hell of it.

So, picture a medium-sized room with six PCs and a dozen guards...

- the room is plunged into darkness
    - the room also has tall grass sprouting underfoot
    - 600 butterflies are also flitting around
    - random 6HD lightning bolts are firing off here and there, because the room wasn't already dangerous enough
    - finally, an initially confused (and later enraged) rhinoceros appears and lumbers around the room, attacking anything

Keep in mind, that the wizard is the one character who ISN'T using any spells for this encounter!

The party came out the winner, although they did get their hair mussed a bit. God, that group was awesome. Sometimes they just said "fuck it", and let chaos reign, and I loved them for it.

(I still game with two of them.) :)

Unrelated, but I stumbled across some rather entrancing fantasy music:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. MeltedMetalGlob

Found this image; couldn't stop laughing:
    [​IMG]
    It was titled, "The Curse of Cursive". :)

I actually have another somewhat lengthy story about everyone's favorite rapemaster DM, except this time it's not AD&D. We were playing a game I think was called Star Frontiers, and we were a roving band of intrepid explorers trundling around the galaxy in a modest spaceship.

We landed on a planet and were immediately attacked by the natives, who as it turns out, were all impossibly beautiful women armed with only spears. As they boarded our ship and took us prisoner, my character hid inside the armory and locked the door. My friends called me exciting names such as "homo" and "fag" as they cheerfully surrendered to their captors without firing a single laser blast.

I hid because I knew what was in store for us. Why everyone else didn't figure it out was beyond me; they've played enough fucking times with this guy.

Anyway, the rest of the team got led to the throne room and were beaten up left and right by the women. It was pitiful to seem them accepting this punishment, as they were waiting for these ladies to succumb to their Captain Kirk-like charms and get on with the sex.

Eventually it dawned on them that they might not score, and abruptly some of them asked to make a roll to see if they had to use the bathroom, as they hadn't gone in a while. Of course, they all ended up defecating on the floor and enraged their captors even further.

When it came to my turn, I twiddled my thumbs and waited to see what came next.

I was not disappointed.

After a few more beatdowns, the guys were promised "entertainment". They all laughed and rubbed their hands with glee- the wait had been worth all the bruises! Unfortunately, they were led to a giant centrifuge and strapped in, along with several women (but were out of reach because of the restraints.)

Confused, they asked what the hell was going on- the women replied that THIS was their entertainment! Deciding to take the only action available to them, the guys all rolled to see if they got sick to their stomachs.

(Yes, they all barfed all over themselves/the women.)

Classic.

Finally tiring of this nonsense, I armed myself with almost every gun on the ship, along with a sack of grenades and mounted a motorcycle that had a brace of rockets on the front and a sidecar with a minigun built into it (Think the movie "Megaforce" combined with the 1980's G.I. Joe toy) It was jailbreak time!

However, as I came flying over the horizon, cannons blazing, our gamemaster suddenly said, 'They let you guys go." Apparently he had grew bored with the whole affair and wanted no part of combat. Shrugging, I led the guys back and we took off.

I can't remember ever playing that game again.

10. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Late to the party, but yes, I had this.

I ran a school club from 1984 to 1988, and a university society from 1988 to 1993, but lost touch with all of my role-playing contacts over the years.

Now in the days of social media I find quite a few still play, a couple are serious full immersion LARPers.

I've not played in a couple of decades, but I'll come back later with some stories.

A favourite was to switch rules systems and scenarios. One of the oddest was placing a D&D parry into a Paranoia scenario.

The reverse was fun. When a party of Blue and Green adventurers try to pull rank on a Red Dragon...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

[​IMG]

This happened last night. I am on one end of the rope, but not the one on the ship.

I was one failed Death Save away from making a new character.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MeltedMetalGlob

If I was your DM, you'd have had a fighting chance to chop your way out.

[​IMG]

I would love to hear those stories. :)

I've never played Paranoia, but am somewhat familiar with the game. I believe longevity is not a factor in it.

Speaking of LARPers, that reminds me to include my experiences with something along those lines next chance I get.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I was at 18 HP when he caught me. In a Kraken 5e, you take 45 damage a round while in his belly from Acid. You are also blinded, so disadvantage on attack rolls. If I was the Goliath Barbarian I would see it, I'm the skinny wood elf ranger. I go pew pew and you can't pew pew in the belly of a kraken. Thankfully the barbarian jumped onto the exposed face of the kraken and started wailing on the dude. A crit later he was able to deal the last of the dmg needed to kill it. So saved at the last possible moment.

Made for a great session.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Daniel_

While I was at university a TV crew filmed our session for a late night documentary series on national TV. The presenter was a stunning and very fun young woman who ended up hanging with us for the day, and coming out drinking in central London in the night.

That was a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MeltedMetalGlob

We had one session videotaped, back around 1988. It was not done because we were so witty or super-awesome, it was because the guy hosting the session had never before had so many people over in his life, so it was a monumental occasion. The adventure in question was in fact the rotten ice-witch adventure run by the pompous DM I referred to as T.P. in post#55. It was a time not worth preserving; I'm sure that tape doesn't exist anymore. (But I should ask to make sure; I still talk to the guy who's house it was held at every once in a while.)

Oh, and I found this:
    [​IMG]

(But Flavortown doesn't sound like that bad of a place, really.) ;)
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

But that's the fun of playing Paranoia, it allows you to let go of the burden of staying alive.
    Just be silly, insane and skewed
    Makes for great role playing, because you're living the most twisted scenarios, NPCs and even yourself and fellow players.

I still have the box.
    I wonder if I can get a group together for it.
    Seems appropriate considering the current madness IRL.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Daniel_

Still one of my favourite games.

It's just off the wall crazy.

That said, we had one time that we played it dark, like a totally straight cyberpunk dystopia.

It was a truly intense slasher horror psychodrama

• Like Like x 2
  18. redravin

This is a great series that I have enjoyed a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MeltedMetalGlob

I'm going to have to catch up on the previous episodes; thanks for posting. :)

I still like being able to be skewed without worrying about being skewered.

One issue with previous campaigns was that you couldn't really do crazy things without the DM disapproving and penalizing you arbitrarily.

Exhibit A:
    Player: I won initiative? Good, my sword's already drawn and I'm ready. I let out my war cry and-
    DM: Okay, that's your attack. They charge and hack you to pieces.

(not making that up, our rapey DM was fond of that one)

Exhibit B:
    Player: I collect dirt samples as souvenirs from strange lands I've visited. I scoop up some soil here.
    DM: Save vs. poison at -4 or die on the spot.

These are rather mundane; God help you if you tried to tap-dance or break into song in these adventures.

Speaking of crazy stuff though, I'm going to go into "shticks", or things your characters did on a regular basis for comedic purposes. (These were encouraged by later DMs and myself)

One of my latest characters was named Limekiller (yes, that's a Bloom County reference) and he had one thing he always did in combat: Every evil character that entered the next plane of existence went out hearing these final words...
    [​IMG]
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. MeltedMetalGlob

[​IMG]

Wanted to relate a story about my creative players; for one dungeon I was inspired by the video game Gauntlet, where you had to battle monsters that continually popped out of large cabinets.

(For those unfamiliar with it:)

Anyway, I placed creature-spawning boxes inside the dungeon at strategic points, and let the players destroy the boxes if they could inflict enough damage on them. Of course, it's hard to do when you're swamped by mobs of nasties, but they were up to the challenge.

The best part?

The wizard had a brilliant idea: Cast the spell Transmute Rock to Mud on the ground directly underneath the cabinet and watch the bastards sink into the muck without having to expend all that energy swinging your sword!

(I love it when the players come up with a clever idea. I let them run with it; it made combat faster, not to mention funnier.) :)

• Like Like x 1