1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

the ballet.

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by mixedmedia, Aug 17, 2013.

1. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I don't think anyone else here is much into ballet.
    But, just in case.

A lot of people don't understand ballet - they don't get the art and the athleticism. Ballet is not for sissies and wussies. Its world is possessed by beauty and sweat, passion and madness. Obsession, even.

I like this girl, for instance.

View: http://youtu.be/DCtwWY9byQE
    --- merged: Aug 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM ---
    embedding disabled. pfft.
    it's worth watching on the site.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I recognize the athleticism inherent in the art, but I just can't get too thrilled with ballet.
    I'd rather watch an orchestra play. Watching a person and the way they interact with their instrument is interesting to me.
    If they had a couple of ballet dancers off to the side where I can transfer my attention back and forth, then that makes it better for my attention span.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Well, with all due respect, there are many people who are able to focus their full attention on dancing. There are symphonies for music only. Ballet is ballet, the live music is a very nice coincidence.
    --- merged: Aug 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM ---
    I saw Baryshnikov in Washington DC at Kennedy Center in the late 70s. Yes, I do believe I wet my panties. It was very exciting.

View: http://youtu.be/l5AP33ygcKY
    --- merged: Aug 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM ---
    He performed this solo from Le Corsaire. This clip is Baryshnikov from the film The Turning Point, which I had my mom drive me to Daytona to see three times.

View: http://youtu.be/rlPZSAURSb8

So, yes, it was quite thrilling for a young ballet student to see him live.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Misguided

Misguided Vertical

My woman was in ballet until she was 20 at the Paris Opera. Needless to say we love it. There is a short clip with Baryshnikov and Greg Hinnes movie called White Night where he does 11 pirouettes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Oh believe me, I do respect the ballet dancer(s) and the art. It's just not my primary form of entertainment.

I'm mostly familiar with The Nutcracker.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

The Nutcracker has a few good moments. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I find it amusing that many have forgotten or never known that back in the day, the ballet was often just a high class brothel where wealthy patrons could engage in take out services with the young ladies on the stage.

(Heck, if the news is true about the Bolshoi, it's still happening)

8. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

That's not nice. Do you suppose the young ladies of the Bolshoi don't just like fucking? From my experience, dancers like to fuck. They start early and often. :)
    --- merged: Aug 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM ---
    Particularly once they start teaching you how to pas de deux.

View: http://youtu.be/99tpTW-bxWk

9. Charlatan

They may enjoy fucking... they just might not enjoy having to fuck old wealthy dudes.

10. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Well, you know, half the world revolves around old wealthy men having their dicks stroked in one way or another. At least they contribute a little beauty to the world.

View: http://youtu.be/VOIZyYbidAU

11. Charlatan

How true.

It does, however, give all of Degas' paintings a different context.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

true dat.
    --- merged: Aug 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM ---
    Really, though, dancers have no power in our social hierarchy. I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that they are fucking people with money in order to keep doing the thing that possesses them down to the minutest sinew of their being. It's that way.
    --- merged: Aug 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM ---

View: http://youtu.be/wRXRiOYHV9c

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  13. Sunshine

Sunshine Vertical

I very much enjoy watching ballet, though I have only ever seen "The Nutcracker" in a live performance. Most other ballet I have experienced is on PBS specials or in movies and such. The girl in the video first posted is amazingly good. I enjoyed that clip very much.
    --- merged: Aug 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM ---
    I am more than jealous that you've seen Baryshnikov live. He is such a beautiful dancer.

14. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

He is phenomenal. Over the years I've grown to respect him not only for his talent but also as an enthusiast and advocate for all kinds of dance. I suspect he's the real deal.

• Like Like x 1
  15. FreeVerse

FreeVerse Screw Tilted, I'm all the way upside down.

The only ballet I have ever truly loved, or had any interest in watching more than once.

• Like Like x 3
  16. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

17. Misguided

Misguided Vertical

They are very much respected in Russia, and realizing that a lot of the male performers didn't really like girls, they did go elsewhere. You need to remember, these people are in top shape, they train hard and they enjoy to fuck. There is nothing wrong with that.

18. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

19. Charlatan

I can appreciate ballet but I love modern dance.

20. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...