1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Best Damn Guitar Solo You've Ever Herd

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by AlterMoose, Apr 12, 2013.

1. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Acoustic or electric, any genre, anywhere in the world, fans universally scream loudest for the guitar solo. Post here those songs that, in your opinion, have....
    The Best Damn Guitar Solo You've Ever Heard.

Here be a couple that absolutely fail to disappoint.

2. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

This...but then again, would you expect me to post anything else?

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm always loath to call something "the best" when it refers to a category that includes so many good and diversified examples. Some are good from a technical standpoint, while others are good from an emotional standpoint. Some are brilliant in how they fit into the rest of the song, while others are great for taking the song to a new level. So many factors. That said, below are a couple that come to mind immediately.

This first one is simply one that resonates with me. It's one that I listened to many times as a teenager and into my early twenties. It's a slow, "burning" solo that comes late in the song, whose first phase is quiet and melodic. This solo kicks in about a minute after heavy distortion and full-on drums mark an emotional departure at about 3:30. I like it because it acts as a kind of cathartic release based on the first phase's emotional buildup.

The solo ranges from about 4:20 to 5:17, after which more soloing kicks in to meander for another minute or so. (There are actually many layers to this recording, which is one of the main reasons why I love it.) The track is the instrumental version, which is fine.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5IIIxvH0wI

This second one is fantastic in its simplicity for being a good example of how short and simple solos can be highly entertaining and can really work the groove.

Note that it's McCartney, not Harrison, who plays the solo in this recording. It ranges from about 1:05 to 1:25.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7dkn1ZnIPk

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. redux

redux Very Tilted

Roy Buchanan was pretty damn good.

5. I don't know if this is the best I've ever heard but it is pretty damned good. This song popped up yesterday and I immediately thought of this thread. While most U2 songs are guitar driven this one is so in spades. I love the guitar solo. It just soars.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1YFH9A3Bw

BTW Baraka_Guru For your rampant Beatlemania check out The Beatles Bible: songs, albums, history, profiles, places, photos and more. I read the featured stories each day. A ton of trivia, very well done.

6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

7. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

there are so many different approaches to guitar that it's impossible to single out one player..

many things are different from many other things.

and that is some deep shit. man.

anyway, with that loopy caveat in mind, the playing on this is pretty great: