1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Boatman

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by kramus, Feb 2, 2013.

1. kramus

kramus what I might see

I was holding in my mind the world of what may have been. Many, many thousands of years ago there were vast lands that now lie beneath the oceans of our world. Before the collapse of the glaciers and the rise of the waters people had a long time to knit themselves into these places that we now only can visit in dreams or visions. The Boatman guides his craft on a surface that is now hundreds of feet deep beneath the waves and 15,000 years deep in our forgotten past.

The Boatman 11" x 12" pencil

Boatman final cropped unadjusted 800 size.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. kramus

kramus what I might see

These art threads I make tend to fall with a bit of a thud. So I'll put my new drawing in an existing thread of mine that has zero comments so far. I do want to share what I do. I genuinely believe the work is well done and has a lot going for it. I also dislike starting multiple threads that go nowhere.

/whine

I keep thinking about the tilt of time, Deep Time. The Drowned Lands - now 300 feet deep under water - where mysteries once abounded. They are now the place where fish in silent passage drift by. Hence this drawing.

pencil 8.5" x 12.75"

Forest Depths

Forest Depths crop 800 sm.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Dude, you say more with a pencil than I do with anything I and a lot of us have ever typed.

4. I'dlove to watch you create a piece like the above. How long did that one take?

5. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Beautiful.

And, oddly, I didn't notice the bunny rabbit in the original post at first glance. I like him. Or her.

6. kramus

kramus what I might see

Thanks Fremen. Problems with articulation through drawing are that most of the conversation is running inside while I work. And it is very subjective. And easy to ignore - you can shut your eyes or turn your head away from art like this. Or be cursory/dismissive. Which is worse, in a way. Most of my work doesn't seem to sit in people's sweet spot. But I do know that those who like it, they really like it :)

Thanks Craven :) I really don't have a handle on the time. At least 50+ hours each. Less than 100. Over a period of a few weeks. I sometimes take photos as a WIP exercise. It can be interesting. Forest Depths changed during the course of the drawing in a way The Boatman never did.

Thanks Cinn :) I could guarantee you would find one or two other things if you took the time. Though it might take the original to see them. One that may be pretty low key is the sleeping cat in the front of the boat.

• Like Like x 1