1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

the conservative political machine: manufacturing islamophobia

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by roachboy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i expect a whole lot of nothing in the way of coverage of this in the mainstream press, but the report is very interesting. illuminating of the paranoia industry in the united-of-states that the right has been relying on--quite explicitly--to market it's particular brand of neocro-politics---by which i refer to keeping alive the corpse of the national-security state and the particularly managed from of consumer democracy for which it stands.

this link takes you to the report's introduction:

http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/2494/fear-inc.-the-roots-of-the-islamaphobia-network

and this to the report itself (you can also access it via the link at the bottom of the page above):

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/08/pdf/islamophobia.pdf

Here's the summary of the report (also the first section of the article linked above):

note the funding foundations, particular scaife. what interest do you imagine ultra-right wing foundations have in underwriting the manufacturing of disinformation about islam and it's alleged relation to "terrorism"?

why do you imagine these people get air time? what interests are served by that?

what do you think the explanation is for this manufacturing of islamophobia?

have a look at the whole report, if you have the time. it's an interesting document, a view of the underbelly of contemporary ultra-rightwing politics.

what do you think can or should be done about this network? about the infotainment outlets that give credence to it's actions?

do you think freedom of speech is the freedom to manufacture and disseminate disinformation?
    why?

2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Actually I think the Muslims that are committing atrocities and both attempted and succesful terrorist acts against other Muslims and against the infidels are doing a great job of creating Islamophobia on their own, thank you.

3. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

or it could be that you've been fed pre-packaged conservative-friendly horseshit.
    maybe it'd be a good idea to actually read the report.

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I don't have the time at the moment to look at the report; however, this doesn't come to me as much of a surprise.

Well, you can't wage war without an enemy, and I suppose many on the right view the GWoT as an important "property" in their political portfolio.

Wars aren't fought merely with military hardware; they are also fought with information—specifically, misinformation is what is used rather extensively, both domestically and internationally, by the powers that be.

I imagine the propaganda constructed and disseminated by the Western right with regard to Islam has been on full tilt since 9/11 if not before.

To assume otherwise would be rather naive.

With regard to free speech, it's a tricky issue. Where do you draw the line between freedom of speech and criminalizing hatred? In many jurisdictions, there are laws against certain actions regarding antisemitism (i.e. anti-Jewish sentiments); do we offer this same protection to Muslims?

To compare, it is illegal in certain law books to publicly deny the Holocaust—in 16 countries, at least. This means that several countries think it worthwhile to penalize those who would make claims that a genocide didn't happen. That's some serious stuff. This kind of law, I think, falls under hate crime. To claim that the Jewish people didn't die by the millions poses some serious problems. It is an attempt to erase one of the greatest atrocities in recent history (if not all of history), which is a problem: it is an assault on all Jewish people to communicate to the public the idea that a particular event did not, in fact, occur—an event that did, in fact, occur: an event that was an attempt to eradicate the people in question. Further, it is an attempt to demonize Jews as liars hoping to garner sympathy. Yes, it's a huge problem.

But Muslims? Are they being demonized as well? Those seedy Muslims—any one of them could be a terrorist, because their religion calls for it. That too is a problem, is it not?

The demonization of a race of people is outright hatred, and I would strongly oppose any claim that speech in support of that should fall under free speech rather than a hate crime. I do not believe that people have the right to incite hatred against a large group of people, nor individuals.

The same goes for laws regarding sexual harassment and the like. Free speech should not be an unmitigated right.

5. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Yes that must be it.
    If anyone believes things that don't fit with the current enlightened liberal sentiment of the day they must be ignorant of the truth. Simpletons or even worse.

6. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

this infotainment has a structure. it has a funding network. there are people who generate it. there are others who distribute it, and a conservative media machine that amplifies it. all the report does is follow the money, name the names and show the channels. and demonstrates that almost all the islamophobic infotainment spread through the right is simply, entirely, factually false. why anyone would choose to believe infotainment that is demonstrably false--and then avoid sources that are that demonstration--is beyond me. politics is made up of arguments about the world. those arguments are based on information. that information can be falsified. the arguments can be undermined logically. the connections between the two can be subject to critique. it is not---or should not be---a matter of simple identity. it makes no sense to "be" a conservative as the result of a kind of shopping off the rack for an identity that seems pretty to you but that puts you in the dysfunctional position of not being able to handle information that shows---without much room for doubt---the ways in which conservative islamophobia is empirically false and so appeals to something that really can't be distinguished from a version of racism. but it's used to mobilize the ultra-right around some paranoid fear about the continued domination of some imaginary christianity over some imaginary nation that they represent the center of. you get the same stuff in every other neo-fascist movement--all the main variants in western europe work the same basically racist theme, but twisted around so that islam becomes the Big Scary Other that's bearing down on christians. it's absurd. and it's based on a fundamental mischaracterization of islam that can only possibly have roots if you don't know anything to speak of about what the word "islam" refers to... but hey, choose what you like. at least in this situation, you know you're choosing not to interact with data in favor of maintaining god knows what, really.

7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

It cracks me up when someone with strong partisan beliefs (on EITHER side) acts like those with the opposing viewpoint have a monopoly on craziness, shady politics, false propaganda, and/or blatant dishonesty.

8. redux

redux Very Tilted

One measure of the growing anti-Islam sentiments in the US is the number of religious based hate crimes, as reported by the FBI.

While the total number has been relatively stable for the last 10 years, hate crimes against Muslims have more than quadrupled, the only such increase. (Anti-Jewish hatred is still far and away the number one.)

Much of the post 9/11 anti-Muslim increase is likely based on internal ignorance, intolerance and fear, but this type of fear-mongering propaganda certainly adds fuel to the fire, where little fuel is needed.

Unfortunately, those on the right dismiss this trend as insignificant, given that the total number of such crimes is still not widespread.

9. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

@borla--that's a sort of facile relativism. it's really just about avoidance of having the sift through information and make judgments.

more generally---among the most obvious of distortions originating in conservativeland about islam is the wholesale replacement of sharia with some bizarre-o fantasy Evil Dominion of the Other. this, too, has had real consequences in the absurd laws passed on 20-odd states outlawing this fantasy, laws which are based on the conservative cookie-cutter legislative templates that you see--verbatim---in the report (the template and it's echoes).

and given the prominence--and financial backing---of the conservative media apparatus, any comparison between what the right is doing and anyone else is simply false.

but read the report--on this particular issue, it's clear and well argued and has the data to back it up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

There's a big difference between seeing the world with real, verifiable instances of Islamic terrorism that really do happen,
    and seeing the world as a place where "Islam" is a pandemic menace.

If you cannot or refuse to see the vast canyon of nauseating stupidity between the two then you are willingly committed to being part of yet another embarrassing and idiotic era of racist/xenophobic lunacy in this country. Way to go.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

mixedmedia, I'm picturing tourist ignoramuses coming to the Toronto area and panicking over our "Muslim infiltration," especially so close to the Canada/U.S. border! (Over 5% of Greater Toronto Area residents are Muslim, compared to 2% overall in Canada and 1% overall in the U.S.)

Maybe they also think that these Muslims should "go back to the Middle East," despite the fact that it's quite possible they were born here and there is a greater chance that Muslim immigrants come from Russia or someplace in Asia than the Middle East.

And even in Canada, you get politicians making statements and citizens passing around petitions about the "concerns regarding Muslim immigration." Because who wants homegrown terrorism, right? Amirite?

The idea of immigration reform specifically to deal with the "Muslim problem" has cropped up in several nations. Nothing says "marginalize the Other" like singling them out as a threat wherever they may go. And it's not just a threat of terrorism; it's a threat to the "cultural makeup" and "societal norms." Because, you know, Muslims like to mess shit up wherever they go.

12. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

You'd think Muslims arrived a decade ago on spaceships.

• Like Like x 1
  13. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

14. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

Based on 2009 data, race was the number one basis for hate crimes, 48.8%. 71% of that was based on the victim being black.
    Number two was religion, 18.9%, followed closely by sexual orientation, 17.8%. Within the religion category 8.4% had to do with Muslim bias.

Perspective is important when discussing this issue. Here is a link with more data:

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2009/victims.html
    --- merged: Sep 2, 2011 4:30 PM ---
    Americans are not intolerant of Muslims. Americans are intolerant of indiscriminate terrorists attacks regardless of the underlying self proclaimed underlying motivation of person(s)/group(s)/nation(s) engaging in such behavior. No amount of money or PR activities will change this. Strongly held cultural beliefs are not influenced in such a manner.

15. redux

redux Very Tilted

Ace
    Ace....I specifically refered to religious-based hate crimes.

And the fact remains, that among religious-based hate crimes, the number against Muslims has quadrupled since 2001.

16. Aceventura

This is a much more complicated issue than your post suggests. In most countries, including in the US, every group immigrating into this country faced "(Insert group name here) Problem" . The root causes and solutions varied and I am not making excuses for them, however, the "Muslim problem" is not a very big problem relative to the problems some other groups have faced.
    --- merged: Sep 2, 2011 4:45 PM ---
    I simply added additional data for perspective. It appears to me that the point of this thread is to exaggerate a problem. It also appeared to me that the point of you post was to exaggerate a problem. There is no doubt that the rate of growth of Muslim based hate crimes has accelerated over the past 10 years, but any increase from a small base gives large percentage increases - your post could easily be considered misleading.

17. redux

redux Very Tilted

Right ace, arson and vandalism at mosques across the country is no big deal, because its only a few mosques.

Efforts among state legislatures across the country to enact anti-sharia laws, supported by some of the Republican candidates, is no big deal since sharia presents such a real threat to the country.

My favorite is Republican candidate Herman Cain suggesting that building a mosque in TN is a violation of First Amendment freedom of religion rights of the majority.

18. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

ace... i would expect nothing different from you than an attempt to dodge the issue. i am reasonably sure you didn't read the report and will not ever read it. so there's little hope of any actual discussion. it's just how you roll.
    o yeah...the only american you speak for is yourself.

19. Aceventura

This is an example of the difficulty in communication with you. Perhaps this is meant to be humorous, but in fact it is offensive to leap from what I wrote to the above.

For the record, given this needs to be said here, I think hate crimes are wrong and are a problem.

I am not familiar with the issue and specifically what he said, I am going to assume there is context that is missing in your presentation here.
    --- merged: Sep 2, 2011 6:14 PM ---
    I did not read the report and have no plan to read it. I could not get past the first few paragraphs without confronting some major questions that presented major flaws in the underlying premise of the report. I do not expect a mature exchange regarding the report and the questions I would have and see no point in reading it.

20. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

nice rationalization for avoiding information, ace. at least you aren't pretending to engage. the question then follows: why waste our time?