1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

the nclex-style question thread.

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by mixedmedia, Jan 27, 2013.

1. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Since I am spending copious amounts of time quizzing myself with 'NCLEX-style' test questions, I thought I might start a thread to share some of the more salient or interesting ones here and see if our learned TFP community is able to suss out the answers (the NCLEX is the exam I will have to take after I've earned my degree in order to be licensed as a nurse). I like figuring out the answers to these questions. Even if I don't know the answer right off, going mentally through the process of elimination is kind of fun and it helps you to remember important concepts.

I'll start off with an obviously titillating one:

What say you?

If anyone plays along, I will post the answer and rationale once a few people have had the chance to answer.

If not, I will post them anyway. :p

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Well, I know you should work from front to back...so I'm guessing 2 and 3 are out. I'm also guessing that you don't want to use hot water. That leaves 4.

3. I say, yes. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

i'm sorry, craven morehead, you have failed the nclex exam. :p

5. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

I concur with Snowy ruling out 1,2,3 for same reasons.

But why would you have to "wash the penis with one hand while holding it firmly with the other hand?" Not like it's going to try to run away, in my experience. But I'll stick with that answer.

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yeah, it kinda left me scratching my head too.

7. itwasme

So is this even a penis that you can hold firmly? If the guy is a patient because of surgery in that area, holding it firmly might not be pleasant for him. Not that the bath was intended to be pleasant. Oh, hell, you know what I mean.

8. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Thank you, ladies. The answer is indeed #4. Good use of critical thinking skillz!

Another one:

--- merged: Jan 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM ---
    That's a good point and if there were an incision or any other sort of open wound in that area, it would be assessed and cleaned several times a day and would prob. be left out of the complete bed bath. And the baths are intended to be pleasant (as pleasant as possible considering the circumstances), but not sexual. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
  9. itwasme

You did not say the degree of burns. Third degree, I would go with number 2. Not in a health field at all, I would guess #1and # 4 were placed in more sterile environments than # 3. 1 and 4 were (hopefully!) then closed. The catheter is unclosed in a less sterile environment. So I choose # 3.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  10. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I think the whole idea of holding the penis firmly (not a death grip :D) is to prevent arousing the patient.

As most of you guys probably realize, the soft touch of a woman can be very arousing.

I say I think, as I seem to remember this from my own nursing days. (long time ago)

4 was my guess as well.

Edit: Just saw MM's explanation confirming this as the reason.
    --- merged: Jan 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM ---
    Hmm, not sure that a 20% burn area would be as elevated a risk as much higher burn percentages.

I'm going with 3. Urinary infections develop fairly easily so I imagine that would be a focus of more than routine attention.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
  11. itwasme

It might not matter, I'm just guessing.

12. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Actually, the correct answer is #2.

I chose #3 on this one, too, knowing that people who keep Foley catheters in for a long period of time are prone to infections. But I suppose the reasoning is that it didn't specify the amount of time the catheter was inserted therefore the person with the highest risk for infection is the one with the obviously compromising condition. I think these questions are fun. :)

Next, one is kind of tricky:

13. itwasme

Hmmm. Again, not in the health field so I may be way off base.

#1 I think should be an offer at best, but not a statement. The patient could be asked if they too tired to visit. The idea of isolating a terminal patient from loved ones feels sad and lonely.

#2 I can't pick because I don't know if this is true for a lung cancer patients without medication.

#4 If this comment is used, it should be followed up with what the nurse can do to help with the breathing concern.

I pick #3, *assuming* the doctor has prescribed meds to help with breathing.

14. Joniemack

Because I assume end of life treatment is first and foremost about making the patient comfortable and relieving pain through whatever measures are necessary, I also would go with #3.

15. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I'll go with number 3 for the above question.
    But can't we go back to mm holding my (sorry, I meant the patient's) penis again? I'd like to focus on that topic a bit more.:)

16. Alistair Eurotrash

I'm dithering between two and three. This could easily be heart failure and the issue to deal with is the anxiety.

Of course, if it's COPD, having oxygen available may help (but they likely already have that).

I'm going with #2.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  17. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

Sorry, MM, but if you are holding my penis firmly in one hand, while washing with the other, I'm pretty much going to be rock hard, no matter what the circumstances.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Joniemack

I imagine know it's easier to wash an erect penis than it is a flaccid one anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alistair Eurotrash

Yeah. You can get it with a nail brush then and scrub it 'til it gleams!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Can't bring myself to click that "like" button. Painfully funny, though.

• Like Like x 1