1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The surge in attacks on joggers

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Astrocloud, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Astrocloud

Astrocloud New Member

So here in MA at least for a couple of weeks, people have been talking about the attack on a jogger in Princeton MA. There are conspiracies abounding about how a serial killer is killing joggers around the northeast...

Are Murders Of Vanessa Marcotte And Karina Vetrano, Both Joggers, Related?

But a quick search on "jogger attacked" yields lots of articles:

Jogger attacked with pruning shears in town park | Local News - WCVB Home
    Jogger attack may be linked to 2nd suspicious incident | Local News - WCVB Home
    Jogger sexually attacked near Schiller Park in German Village

and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

What's the cause of this? Has there always been violence against joggers or is it a trend related to the number of joggers? Is there a surge of joggers?

What about the murders? Is this the same person or are they separate crimes of opportunity?

I'm not trying to make anyone paranoid about jogging, but I don't do it because it is terrible for my knees.

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Good to see you back, Astro.

Don't get many joggers in this part of Texas, mostly bicyclists on the highways. We have a big enough problem with the cyclists getting run off the road, or hit, that Tx-DoT are trying to implement a huge bike trail throughout East Texas. I believe it will be a jogging trail, as well. Though, I imagine the heat will limit the joggers most of the time.

Back to your area, I really hope those aren't the workings of a serial killer/rapist. (or maybe it would be better if it were, so they could catch the one guy, instead of it being multiple people) There's enough violence going on in our country (not to mention other countries) without someone/s going after innocent exercisers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

One of the TV stations here in Houston did a lengthy (well, that is by TV 30 minutes news broadcast standards) on attacks on joggers. From what I gather, very few of the attacks are serial, and the number of attacks is minor, statistically speaking.

Of course the above doesn't mean much if someone lives in area where joggers are indeed being targeted on a regular basis.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Just a crime of opportunity, I think. Joggers are in a position where they make an easier target.

• Like Like x 2
  5. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Maybe them there joggers should run sprint or jet